Barrel distortion correction

Old April 10th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Barrel distortion correction

I've given a try to PTLens - not bad. Is this the best software or is
there an even better one?
--

Alfred Molon
Old April 10th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
frederick

Alfred Molon wrote:
I've given a try to PTLens - not bad. Is this the best software or is
there an even better one?

Depends what you mean by better I guess.
Bibble raw converter has PTlens as a plug in. That would be great, but
IMO Bibble's raw conversion isn't very good for Nikon *nef files. I
don't know what it's like for other raw files.
DXO also has distortion correction similar to PTlens, but it costs a lot
and won't work with Nikon's in-camera settings, so I've not trialled it.
Nik software should wake up to this, and put PT lens in to Capture NX,
but I guess they'd want to reinvent the wheel instead. AFAIK, there's no
perfect software.
Old April 11th 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marvin[_2_]

Alfred Molon wrote:
I've given a try to PTLens - not bad. Is this the best software or is
there an even better one?

I haven't tried PTLens, so can't answer your question.
Paint hop Pro does several corrections, including for barrel
distortion. You can download it for a free 30 day trial
from corel.com, and decide for yourself.
Old April 13th 08, 12:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Alfred Molon wrote:

I've given a try to PTLens - not bad. Is this the best software or is
there an even better one?

I was impressed to discover that it knew about my rather obscure
VCL-DEH08R wide angle extension lens (for the Sony R1), and
automatically fixed its barrel distortion. Being extremely critical
and pixel-peeping of some deliberately very extreme perspective
corrections, it does look as though there is a slight element of
"moustache" distortion (combination of barrel and pincushion) in some
of my images which it doesn't handle, at least not automatically, and
at least if they're pushed through very extreme perspective
corrections.

I'd be interested to know if there was something better. I'd be even
more interested if was less than an order of magnitude more expensive!

I haven't tried using it as a plugin, but I get the impression that
it's more flexible as a stand-alone.

When I tried using the ALT key to separate previews of chromatic
aberration corrections it screwed up the appearance of the corrections
and I had to reload it, but no damage to images.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[