Scanner Q: Canon CanoScan 9950F

Old December 9th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.misc
Jay Beckman

Default Scanner Q: Canon CanoScan 9950F

Shopping for a scanner (for 35mm Slides/Negs) and was wondering if anyone
out there has used this particular Canon model?

Likes?
Dislikes?

TIA,

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ

Old December 9th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.misc
Väinö Louekari

Jay Beckman wrote:
Shopping for a scanner (for 35mm Slides/Negs) and was wondering if anyone
out there has used this particular Canon model?

Likes?
Dislikes?

TIA,

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ

Since you intend to scan 35 mm slides/negs this is simple. Do not buy a
flatbed, any flatbed. Buy a dedicated film scanner. See earlier thread
"Help scanning negatives, please" dated 1.12. in rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Väinö Louekari
Old December 9th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.misc
tomm42

Jay Beckman wrote:
Shopping for a scanner (for 35mm Slides/Negs) and was wondering if anyone
out there has used this particular Canon model?

Likes?
Dislikes?

TIA,

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ

Check the Epson V700, use one and it is a good scanner. Would a Nikon
LS5000 or 9000 be better, yes. But if you want multiple use that does
good scans fast, up to 20 negs at a time. It is better than my Nikon
LS2000 dedicated film scanner (yes a 5 year old scanner 2700ppi max).
The V700 doesn't have the dynamic range problems and sharpness problems
of most flatbeds. The pro section of the software is good too, I here
the Canon software is not very good, though I haven't used it.

Tom

Old December 9th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Jay Beckman wrote:
Shopping for a scanner (for 35mm Slides/Negs) and was wondering if anyone
out there has used this particular Canon model?

The more reliable/affordable scanners are the Minolta and Nikon's.
Coolscan V, 5000. Minolta are of course out of that business.

I'm selling my Minolta 5400, if you're interested (I bought the Nikon
9000 ED to scan medium format). I'll be away for the next 10 days on
business, however. e-mail me at the address above minus the lunch, if
interested.

Some of the earlier Canon film scanners had power supply issues that
resulted in noise in the image. Not sure how they stand today.

Avoid flatbeds, although the higher end Epson's are fairly decent.

Cheers,
Alan
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.