Halogen Spotlight for after sunset beach shots....

Old March 8th 06, 06:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Halogen Spotlight for after sunset beach shots....

So, I am interested in shooting the shadows on the sand...even when I
have run out of time and the sun has gone down. A Flash won't let me
pick out angles...but my new 12,000,000 candle rechargeable Halogen
Spotlight for 30$ will give me an hour or so of "light"!

Now, what to do about that flashlight style center bright spot? How do
I defuse it and still get nice sharp 'sunset style' shadows?

I'll be using a D50 18-55, until I start buying primes...
thanks - t.

Old March 8th 06, 10:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

So, I am interested in shooting the shadows on the sand...even when I
have run out of time and the sun has gone down. A Flash won't let me
pick out angles...but my new 12,000,000 candle rechargeable Halogen
Spotlight for 30$ will give me an hour or so of "light"!

Now, what to do about that flashlight style center bright spot? How do
I defuse it and still get nice sharp 'sunset style' shadows?

get a video camera light.

try this, get one of those fresnel magnifying plastic sheets, used instead
of reading glasses, some are book sized. (but they might not be, uh, fire
proof.)
maybe the lens off an old spot light might work. find an old enlarger and
salvage the condenser lenses and see if they are any help.

why won't a flash let you pick out angles? Oh, cause its a flash, well use
your flashlight to find the angle and put your flash there.

Old March 9th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

wrote:

I trust/hope you were being as sarcastic as I was. A 55w halogen
globe, which is what the OP has, I'll wager, actually gives somewhere
in the tens to hundreds of thousands (eg maybe 12,000 (not 12 million)
'candlepower'). There is *no* direct conversion from CP to watts -
el-cheapo lights take great liberties with their specs ("oh, that
reflector probably means we get a thousand times more light, so let's
call it 12,000,000").

So it's a 55 watts, or at best 100. Versus 6MW? That one would need
quite a power supply...

And even the smallest continuous halogen light for photographic use is
probably a 250W at least. I wouldn't bother trying to diffuse anything
less than that...

(O:

Yes to the realistic assessment of actual light output...its driven by a
12v 7hr battery, and I suspect I can get at most 2 hours out of it...so,
3ah X 12v = 36watts?...maybe 50w, but I can't see 100w. I don't want to
pull the bulb, might break it, so, lets say 50 watts and a 6" reflector.

What would be the pro or pro-sumer/ebay choice for an hour of portable
lighting useful for taking stills, with or without a tripod, through a
D50 18-55 3.5 and slower, and, low noise (iso closer to 200 then 1600),
as I would like to blow up the good ones.

If the "right choice" is, oh 10x in cost over my $30 spend, I'll keep
what I have and report back in a week or two after the sand thaws out.
On the other hand, if I can buy something made for the job used for
$100, well..then I won't have to upgrade later :-)

- thanks, Tom

Old March 9th 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Tom wrote:

What would be the pro or pro-sumer/ebay choice for an hour of portable
lighting useful for taking stills, with or without a tripod, through a
D50 18-55 3.5 and slower, and, low noise (iso closer to 200 then 1600),
as I would like to blow up the good ones.

Strobes powered by battery packs.

If the "right choice" is, oh 10x in cost over my $30 spend,

No, you're still in the wrong order of magnitude on that. It would be
thousands, and probably not just one or two.

--
Jeremy |
Old March 9th 06, 10:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

P = V * I so 3000000 / 12 = 250000 Amps.

250,000 Amps, hey...? I'd suggest you would probably want something
fairly solid in the way of wiring for that setup, and stand back when
you flick the switch.. wooohooo! (O:

A video light is probably the best solution you've been offered. Or
the other one, to use a flashlight to get the direction, and then use
flash.

But a lot depends on what sort of area you need to evenly illuminate..?