Hasselblad path

Old March 12th 04, 01:21 PM
jjs

Default Hasselblad path

In article , Stacey
wrote:

Unless it has a magneto, it needs voltage for the -battery/coil- type
ignition to work and a generator

Actually, Stacey, one doesn't need a magneto, either. If you run a
generator (rather than an alternator) and also add a capacitor to a
batteryless system, you can start the vehicle by 'bumping' (pushing) it.
One rotation or two charges the capacitor which energizes the coil and you
are off and running. I used such a system for years on motorcycles.
Old March 18th 04, 12:33 AM
Wayne Sircoulomb

To answer your question I can say a qualified yes. Qualified for two
reasons:

1. I only have extensive experience with the Fuji S2 Pro, but most brand
name DSLRs should give you good results. If not they would not remain in
business.

2. No digital sensor will match the dynamic range of film. It just is not
there yet. You can double shoot and do tricks in PhotoShop but you cannot
truely match film.

I get great results with my S2 and probably use it for 75% of my
professional work and 100% of my personal work. The S2 compares well with
the Hasselblads in all areas except dynamic range and enlarge-ability to
monster sizes. I usually shoot the S2 in manual mode and try to do things
at as low an ISO as I can. Try some testing with your Canon and MF and I
think you will be surprised at the results on prints up to 11X14.

Wayne

"Fred Mueller" wrote in message
I am what I guess they call a serious amateur.

I have a fair amount invested in a hasselblad outfit and I have a
darkroom. I've also been recently impressed and convinced that
digital capture/output has fully arrived, at least in the 35mm format.
I've even bought a Canon digital Rebel/300D, but that's a story for a
different day.

I love the hasselblad and my hope is that eventually (2-5 years?) we
will see full frame digital scanning backs that the non-professional
can justify financially (I could tolerate $3000+ for a full frame
digital back). The canon digital rebel of today for under $1000 has
the capability of the $10,000 digital cameras of four years ago. Is
my thinking merely wishful thinking that MF backs will make any
similar progress?

That leads me into the next question about the here and now.

Are there film scanners (budget ~$2000) that will actually help me see
image quality from a MF negative (how about B&W negs) that exceeds
what I can expect from a pure digital capture from the current crop of
mid level digital SLR's (e.g. Nikon D2h or Canon 1d.

I tried searching the newsgroup on this topic, and if it has been
discussed before, I must not be using the right query and apologize.

Fred