Nikon D70 - Do pictures require Photoshop fixing?

Old January 29th 05, 04:54 AM
Pete D

"bmoag" wrote in message
news
If you primarily want a good jpeg shooter you should not get the D70.
You will bet better jpeg results from upper level P&S or electronic view
finder cameras.
I have a D70, a Sony 828 and several P&S digital cameras. I think it is
insane to get a D70 or any digital SLR if your primary interest is jpeg
shooting.

Insane is such a strong word. I would agree with you but you are wrong
because a D-SLR opens up so many possibilities that the P&S cams cant do and
will give perfect prints up to and above 8x10 using jpeg.

Old January 29th 05, 09:01 AM
Ron Hunter

Pete D wrote:
"bmoag" wrote in message
news
If you primarily want a good jpeg shooter you should not get the D70.
You will bet better jpeg results from upper level P&S or electronic view
finder cameras.
I have a D70, a Sony 828 and several P&S digital cameras. I think it is
insane to get a D70 or any digital SLR if your primary interest is jpeg
shooting.

Insane is such a strong word. I would agree with you but you are wrong
because a D-SLR opens up so many possibilities that the P&S cams cant do and
will give perfect prints up to and above 8x10 using jpeg.

While it is obvious that DSLRs are vastly more flexible, in the hands of
a competent photographer, one might not be the ideal camera for him. It
certainly isn't for ME as I don't want the weight, or bulk of a DSLR,
and don't enjoy using manual controls, and would NEVER consider carrying
several pounds of lenses around. A good P&S can produce pictures larger
than 8x10 that are of excellent quality these days. Given than in 55
years of taking pictures, I have NEVER printed anything large than 8x10,
and only half a dozen that large, I see no use in a camera the can print
such sizes. One needs to match the camera to his individual wants/needs.

--
Ron Hunter
Old January 29th 05, 01:06 PM
LarryLOOK

"Jim" wrote in message
om...

"Tim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear all,

I am about to take the leap to digital and have been looking at the
current range of post £1000/$1000 DLSRs and am opting for the D70.
However I have read in magasines that the pictures taken by the D70
very often need to have levels/contrast fixed in Photoshop. Is this
your experience?

There are lots of internal settings you can choose, to try to optimize pic
for printing. However I think camera is a bit of a waste for people who
don't like to do post processing.

Sometimes they need a level adjustment (when I didn't pay enough attention
to the histogram). They may need sharpening, but you could do that in the
D70.
Jim

Old January 29th 05, 01:13 PM
LarryLOOK

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
Pete D wrote:
"bmoag" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with you completely. However, I'm pretty new to photography and am
getting a lot of nice 11x14's from my D70 and i9900. And instant on and 3
fps etc are really very nice. My olympus 3040 3mp does a great job, and
sometimes better right out of the camera, but if I though i had a chance at
a real winning shot of something very important I'd choose my D70 over the
3040, as it's faster and has a lot of valuble features. But I like post
processing too. Also I think I'm learning more about photography that I
would have by staying exclusively with my olym 3040 p&s, as I'm forced to.
11x14's for the right picture look quite impressive compared to a 5x7 or
8x10. When people see my pics framed, they are seeing a size their not
always used to from digital.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.

Old January 29th 05, 06:16 PM
Crownfield

Ron Hunter wrote:

Pete D wrote:
"bmoag" wrote in message
[...]

differences are interesting.
I rarely print anything smaller than 8x10.

--
Ron Hunter

Old January 29th 05, 09:13 PM

There will always be people that are almost offended to find some one with a
good decent digital SLR and use it for JPEG shooting. I have a feeling it
would bother you to know that some times I only shoot with JPG output using
my D70. I'm terribly sorry if you're offended easily, but I don't like the
slow speeds of P&S models and I like the long battery life of this
particular model. If Nikon intended their D70 model such a high end camera
and would never think of the middle budget they wouldn't even have included
the support for JPG image output. It's obvious it bothers you to some
degree...sorry.

Old January 29th 05, 09:58 PM
Inaccessible

"bmoag" wrote in message
news
If you primarily want a good jpeg shooter you should not get the D70.
You will bet better jpeg results from upper level P&S or electronic view
finder cameras.
I have a D70, a Sony 828 and several P&S digital cameras. I think it is
insane to get a D70 or any digital SLR if your primary interest is jpeg
shooting.

And of course there are those of us that get paid to shoot those
jpegs and want changeable lenses.

Old April 2nd 05, 10:00 PM
Tom Ellliott

My clients requirements forced me to go digital in some areas, thus I bought
the Niknon D70. Less hassel in makeing money with either medium/fine jpeg or
raw. I usually use the highest quality jpeg, one level below raw, for some
special events for the clients want me to burn a CD to give them before I
leave. Which is ok by me for part of the deal is that they pay me before I
leave, and since the shots are mostly "grip and grin, ribbon cutting" they
can have the "negative". When I get back to the studio I then burn an
archival CD, just in case their people screw things up. I used to do film to
Kodak Photo CD and give them a CD, then I keep the negs and a 2nd CD as
backup. But would you believe they tried to put the thumb nails in their
newsletters and complain on the poor quality. I actually had to hold a
seminar on how to open Photo CDs. Now it is a now brainer. They get a jpeg
ready for reproduction with a minimum of fuss.
So, thanks Nikon for the D70. I also get to use all my Nikon lenses!
Have Fun and make pictures,
Yours,
Tom

Old April 3rd 05, 02:24 AM
bmoag

What happens if your clients find out they are getting P&S images at
professional prices?
They don't pay people to pump gas anymore either.