OMG - A Linhof Technika Focal Plane Shutter

Old January 14th 05, 01:57 PM
jjs

Default OMG - A Linhof Technika Focal Plane Shutter

Linhof Technika Focal Plane Shutter - someone please tell me it's unreliable
or anything to discourage me from trying to buy it. I'm seriously trying
to work up a rear shutter for the new camera prototype and all the Graflex
units did not work out.

Is not the Technika FP Shutter _super rare_?

Man.... talk about hardware LUST!

Old January 14th 05, 10:41 PM
Dan Fromm

jjs wrote:
Linhof Technika Focal Plane Shutter - someone please tell me it's

unreliable
or anything to discourage me from trying to buy it. I'm seriously

trying
to work up a rear shutter for the new camera prototype and all the

Graflex
units did not work out.

Is not the Technika FP Shutter _super rare_?

Man.... talk about hardware LUST!

John, don't you think its time you stopped crying poor? Just buy the
damned thing and get on with your life. If you're outbid, you can
always take your frustration out on an innocent 4x5 Speed Graphic.

Old January 14th 05, 11:06 PM
jjs

"Dan Fromm" wrote in message
oups.com...

Man.... talk about hardware LUST!

John, don't you think its time you stopped crying poor? Just buy the
damned thing and get on with your life. If you're outbid, you can
always take your frustration out on an innocent 4x5 Speed Graphic.

I wasn't crying broke and I've already broken my life's quota of Speed
Graphics.

I was hoping someone would tell me if the Linhof Technika focal plane
shutter was good - or not. If it wasn't produced for long because it was
problematic, then that's a factor to diminish its usefullness. If it is fine
but can't be fixed, then it's worthless to me.

Or maybe I'll just buy it and GIVE it to you.

Best,
John Boy

Old January 15th 05, 11:55 AM
Bob Salomon

"jjs" john@xstafford.net wrote:

"Dan Fromm" wrote in message
oups.com...

Man.... talk about hardware LUST!

John, don't you think its time you stopped crying poor? Just buy the
damned thing and get on with your life. If you're outbid, you can
always take your frustration out on an innocent 4x5 Speed Graphic.

I wasn't crying broke and I've already broken my life's quota of Speed
Graphics.

I was hoping someone would tell me if the Linhof Technika focal plane
shutter was good - or not. If it wasn't produced for long because it was
problematic, then that's a factor to diminish its usefullness. If it is fine
but can't be fixed, then it's worthless to me.

Or maybe I'll just buy it and GIVE it to you.

Best,
John Boy

Very problematical and very difficult to keep working as no parts are
available.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old January 15th 05, 03:50 PM
jjs

"Bob Salomon" wrote in message

Very problematical and very difficult to keep working as no parts are
available.

That's exactly what I feared. Thank you, Bob. You saved me a lot of money.

Old January 15th 05, 10:28 PM
Dan Fromm

jjs wrote:
"Dan Fromm" wrote in message
oups.com...

Man.... talk about hardware LUST!

John, don't you think its time you stopped crying poor? Just buy

the
damned thing and get on with your life. If you're outbid, you can
always take your frustration out on an innocent 4x5 Speed Graphic.

I wasn't crying broke and I've already broken my life's quota of

Speed
Graphics.

I was hoping someone would tell me if the Linhof Technika focal plane

shutter was good - or not. If it wasn't produced for long because it

was
problematic, then that's a factor to diminish its usefullness. If it

is fine
but can't be fixed, then it's worthless to me.

Or maybe I'll just buy it and GIVE it to you.

Best,
John Boy

Thanks for the kind offer, I do have a birthday coming real soon now.
And you haven't been outbid yet. One can always hope ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

More seriously, which vintage of Speed Graphic didn't solve y'r
problem, and why? I ask not to tease but because I'm contemplating
using one as the starting point for a camera. If there's a good reason
not to do that I'd rather learn it from someone else than discover it
myself.

Also, have you considered starting from some other 4x5 camera with a
focal plane shutter? Thornton-Pickard, Ensign, Mentor, ... Or even
searching for a Sinar SLR?

Cheers,

Dan

Old January 15th 05, 10:57 PM
jjs

"Dan Fromm" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks for the kind offer, I do have a birthday coming real soon now.
And you haven't been outbid yet. One can always hope ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

I am sorry now that I even bid.

More seriously, which vintage of Speed Graphic didn't solve y'r
problem, and why? [...]

Dan, so many of the Speed Graphics' shutters are just trashed. It is usually
the curtains that are bad: evaporated glues, tears, stretch problems. I have
(in storage) an article on how to make new curtains and maybe I should just
guts it out and try. I've put a watch on several Speed Graphics (the ones
that have the FP shutter) on ebay.

Also, have you considered starting from some other 4x5 camera with a
focal plane shutter? Thornton-Pickard, Ensign, Mentor, ... Or even
searching for a Sinar SLR?

Sinar has an SLR?

The issue is the shutter. If I can use a focal plane shutter that doesn't
shake the camera (a serious consideration), then I can use the native lens
with handmade waterhouse stops. It seems promising, but the shake issue is
an unknown.

What are you working on? I'm going to guess that it is a camera with an
exceptionally long or large lens.