E6 Chemicals and Septic Systems...

Old February 22nd 04, 02:43 AM
wingnut

Default E6 Chemicals and Septic Systems...

I've gotten mixed information regarding E6 chemistry and it's reaction in a
septic system. Some say it's harmful, some say that in small batch amounts
it's not a problem. Does anyone know if anything has been written about
this? I'm running an ATL2000 with about 1-2 litres of chemistry a week.

Old February 23rd 04, 12:41 AM
Jazztptman

I've gotten mixed information regarding E6 chemistry and it's reaction in a
septic system.

Wingnut, there's information on this in the environmental section of the Kodak
web site. Generally, if the amount of photo chemicals disposed of is minor
compared to the volume of household waste going to the septic tank, it should
be safe.

However, there are now stronger EPA regulations, and you can only dispose of
photo chemistry via a septic system if you are a home hobbyist type user. If
this is a commercial darkroom/lab, it is not legal to put any "hazardous" waste
into a septic system.

Bernie
Old February 23rd 04, 01:58 AM
PSsquare

Don't know the answer to your question directly, but I don't think that
you really need to know. Maybe it is more important to consider what it will
cost to pump your septic versus the cost to transport the waste chemicals to
where they can go through a waste treatment plant. Since it cost me over
$1200 when I had to pump the septic last year, I decided that I can carry a
few liters from my darkroom to a treatment system every few weeks at
practically nil expense. It did not seem worth risking harming the septic
action. (I also don't dump chlorine bleach into the septic. Bleach is a
highly effective antibacterial agent and the septic is a bacterial digester
after all.)

There is a parallel in the excessively extended debate over global warming.
It is two by two matrix. The first dimension is:

Global warming is real or not real.

The second dimension is:

We take action or we don't.

There are four combinations. The most dangerous outcome is that it is real
and we do nothing. Man loses. The other three outcomes provide for the
survival of man. I can't see any cost savings that is worth the plausible
extermination of mankind.

That's what I see as the intelligent way to consider it.

PSsquare

Old February 23rd 04, 02:31 AM
wingnut

Thank you and my apologies for wasting room on the group! I've been on the
Kodak site quite a bit but hadn't seen that. Just what I was looking for.

bob

Old February 23rd 04, 03:06 AM
Hemi4268

Global warming is real or not real.

To me, as cold as this winter is, we could use a little more global warming.

Larry
Old February 23rd 04, 09:58 PM
Brook Halvorson

To me, as cold as this winter is, we could use a little more global

warming.

I realize this is a lighthearted joke, but I agree with PSsquare, and have
trouble appreciating humor when it comes to environmental degradation. I
especially take offense because I love winter, and I can't stand the thought
of being just stuck with just one season, warm weather, all year long ;-)

I, too, am looking to dispose of color processing chemicals, mostly RA-4
chemicals, I have some unused Ilfochrome chems too. It is difficult to find
out how to do this! But in looking, I came across this page at Ilford:

http://www.ilford.com/html/us_englis...te/waste2.html

which suggests what PSsquare did, taking it to a licenced waste disposal
company. Now I just have to find one that I can trust, that won't charge me
a lot. Anyone know of any in the Washington, DC area? (I'm finding some, I
hope, under Environmental Services in the yellow pages).

Brook

Old February 24th 04, 01:20 AM
wingnut

Brook... I took the advice of one of the posters and went up on the Kodak
site. They actually have a program to hook people up with a company for
disposal.

But first, this is what they have to say about disposal of chemicals in
septic at this link:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/envi...aq400.jhtml#q1

FAQ-401(ENG)
How do I dispose of photographic processing effluents?
Most photographic processing effluents and washwaters contain chemicals that
are biodegradable. They are, therefore, compatible with aerobic (with
oxygen) biological treatment systems and are effectively treated when
discharged to municipal sewer systems such as Publicly Owned Treatment Works
(POTWs). Septic systems operate with anaerobic (without oxygen) biological
treatment. Therefore, septic systems do not have the ability to properly
treat photographic processing effluents.
Septic Systems

If you are discharging to a septic system, Kodak recommends you manage your
photographic processing effluents off-site. For additional information,
refer to Information on Septic System Disposal.

They're answer is the Kodak Relay Program. Here's the link to that:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/envi...te/relay.jhtml

They have an agreement with Safety Kleen which I think is a national
company.

I was thinking of one other thing - other than environmental - which for me
is important especially because I have a drilled well on my property as
well.

I wonder what it would do to the resale value of my home if the new owners
were to do an environmental inspection of some sort on the waste in my
septic tank. I would think that over time, even with hobby usage, chemicals
would build up.

rvers.com...

Old February 27th 04, 02:42 PM
John Garand

ON Mon, 23 Feb 2004 01:58:41 GMT, "PSsquare"
WROTE:

[...]

You must have a huge septic system. The last time I had my two
systems pumped (2 1000 gal systems plus grease trap), it cost me
$250.00.

Alternatively, you live either on the East or West coast. West seems
most likely, given the remainder of the post.

Old February 27th 04, 03:35 PM
jjs

ON Mon, 23 Feb 2004 01:58:41 GMT, "PSsquare"

There is a parallel in the excessively extended debate over global warming.
It is two by two matrix. The first dimension is:

Global warming is real or not real.

The second dimension is:

We take action or we don't.

Humankind is not really bright enough to take care of its future. Changes
happen in catastrophic circumstances. The best thing that could happen to
the USA is for gasoline to hit $5.00 a gallon tomorrow and remain
expensive forever. Perhaps global warming will be a moot issue when
Yellowstone launches itself into the stratosphere, as it _must_ do. It's a
no-brainer. It's going to happen, humans be damned.
Old February 27th 04, 03:52 PM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
(jjs) wrote:

Humankind is not really bright enough to take care of its future. Changes
happen in catastrophic circumstances. The best thing that could happen to
the USA is for gasoline to hit $5.00 a gallon tomorrow and remain
expensive forever. Perhaps global warming will be a moot issue when
Yellowstone launches itself into the stratosphere, as it _must_ do. It's a
no-brainer. It's going to happen, humans be damned.

Yeah well there's faults all over, when I was much younger I wanted to
be a geologist, I had a huge rock collection and could spout all kinds of
data. In my studies with a local geologist I found out about an eastern Fault that
runs through MD, Pennsylvania etc....which sits under an area very close to my last
home about 15 miles from here. The fault has not been active for millions of years,
I collected chromium samples and lava from extrusions about ten miles from my
house. Interestingly several small tremours have in more recent years begun to occur
in this area,...makes you think!

I think $5.00 a gallon gas would be painful indeed, but its all relative. There really is no
difference between high and low prices if good wages and job availablity are present.

Back to the septic, don't dump E6 in the water at all ! I always say if don't want to drink it
don't dump it.
--
LF website
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank