[SI] Pairs etc - Eric Stevens comments

Old July 22nd 12, 06:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default [SI] Pairs etc - Eric Stevens comments

On 2012-07-21 12:59:43 -0700, Alan Browne

On 2012-07-21 14:02 , Savageduck wrote:

Just a quick and nasty fix, not perfection demonstrating tools.
A little short on time, I have to hit the road for a visit to some
friends just North of Salinas. Perhaps a photo-op or two along the way.

"On the road" 'duck.

I think I have managed to get one reasonable shot for the next SI out
of today's trip. More to come.

Savageduck

Old July 22nd 12, 11:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Tim Conway[_2_]

"Eric Stevens" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 17:31:54 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

Pairs_Tim_Conway_3
-------------------------
Are the socks brand-new? Judging by their definition, they should be
very soft. :-)

They are new. I have a problem with this old camera I was using. Sony
DSC-700. I can't seem to get anything in focus!

Pairs_Tim_Conway_old_1
-----------------------------
I like it but, no flash used? What was the lighting?

Yes, I did use flash. It was at the lake at the city park around midnight
with a Minolta X-700 and maybe a Vivitar 283 flash?

Pairs_Tim_Conway_old_2
------------------------------
I like this one too. I had to look hard at first but I found two
pairs countable in two different ways.

I would have liked to include more of the reflection of the trees, but I
thought it more important to put the deer on the lower left third...it's
always a tradeoff!
Thanks for your comments.

Tim

Old July 22nd 12, 12:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
MG

Pairs_MG_Reflections
------------------------
This shot has me puzzled. What causes the straight line in the edge of
the water upon which the ducks seem to be virtually standing?

It is the concrete overflow of a dam. The water is just trickling over.
Old July 22nd 12, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-07-21 22:46 , Eric Stevens wrote:

Pairs_Alan_Browne_2
------------------------
I don't know if that's 'Pairs' etc so much as 'Lots'. The camera has
captured lots of fine detail of the newly growing plants but it is
somehow slightly blurred by the time it gets to me. It's not just a
question of pixel size. Enlarging the image seems to make no
difference.

The mandate was: "Pairs, triplets, series, patterns, echoes, reflections."

As to the blur, the image was caught to emphasize the cracks and then in
post processing I pushed the black point to emphasize them. Frankly I
didn't even pay attention to how the grasses looked as I was so focused
on making the crack pattern stand out.

The image looks best at "original" size. Blowing it up any more can
only make it softer.

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old July 22nd 12, 05:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-07-21 12:57:53 -0700, Alan Browne

On 2012-07-21 09:13:34 -0700, Alan Browne

On 2012-07-21 11:21 , tony cooper wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 10:55:51 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

In that sense, the window frame should have been cropped out at the
time
the photo was composed. As is, it cannot be cropped without cutting
into the chair. (Maybe I'll try a content-aware edit in CS5).

That really isn't necessary:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/shwubema97m6dyo/Browne.jpg

I selected some lower boards with the rectangular marquee, copied,
pasted, and moved the pasted part up over window corner. I did a
little bit of cloning and blurring to make the new section blend in
and not repeat the pattern of the copied section. A repair made in
just a couple of minutes.

With content aware edition, this took less than 10 seconds from
opening the file, selecting the area and applying content-aware-editing:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tj51axzinp...6SMLCAEDIT.jpg

Original:

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/143800474

It's

clear

that content aware editing is very complex - since it
failed to do a good job here on a simple task. ;-).

I'll play with it more later.

Content aware fill just gives you a starting point.
Now duplicat the layer and go to filters-."Vanishing Point". Mark out a
perspective area using the siding lines as a guide, the expand the area
by pulling the middle top handle up, and the middle left handle to the
let, both beyond the canvas.
Next use the in-filter clone tool (adjust size using "[" "]") to cover
the bad content aware fill. Once done close out the vanishing point
filter and touch up. The fix result will be better.
http://db.tt/vDJbBHAy

Pretty good. There's a slight mis-alignment.

It could be done better. Just a quick & dirty fix, but more of a
reminder that there is a tool we forget about, The "Vanishing Point"
filter.

I have been playing with the image and came up with two variations, I
did not use content aware correction here, just Vanishing Point, and a
couple of other tweeks:
http://db.tt/85P6IbQu
http://db.tt/72GCcgde

Savageduck

Old July 22nd 12, 09:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Pairs etc - Eric Stevens comments

On 2012-07-22 13:13:10 -0700, otter said:

On Jul 21, 6:18*pm, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 17:31:54 +1200, Eric Stevens

Pairs_otter_2
---------------
A good idea. I like the stand-out red seat. I can't help feeling there
ought to be a better viewing point and angle.

Possibly. But it was the best angle I had given the circumstances. I
could have shot from the Press Box if I had my 600mm lens, but I
haven't bought that yet.
Interesting that no one seems interested in why this seat is red. I
guess google is everyone's friend.

Damn! You stirred my Sunday curiosity.

So it was the Ted Williams Grandstand hampered, long home run marker at
Section 42, Row 37, Seat 21.

Savageduck

Old July 22nd 12, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_2_]

On 7/21/2012 10:46 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 17:31:54 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

snip

multiples_peter_newman_fishing net
I like all aspects of it but one. I like the composition, the
reflection in the wet sand and the colour. What upset me was the fact
that I could only see it in small sizes. I would love to have seen a
larger version but I can see that I am limited by the size of the
original.

Thank you for your comments.

It was cut down for the SI.

multiples_peter_newman_parade
--------------------------------------
I can see what you have done but I can't look at it for more than a
few seconds without getting a headache. :-)

I understand. That image is not exactly the essence of serene.

multiples_peter_newman_strawberry in the sky
This is a shot which I find works better in a smaller size or when
viewed from a distant. My first reaction was not a 'strawberry' but a
brightly coloured Scotch Thistle. One second exposure is impressive
for hand held. I can tell that it's hand held from the identical
wiggles in the trajectory of the flares. Is the focus distance of 8.67
metres correct? I would hnave thought it was further away.

I am lucky to have reasonably steady hands. Besides I braced the camera
against my body and I was braced against a vertical beam.
There was no way I was only 8.67 m from the fireworks. More likely
several hundred yards.

I've got to the end with no more autosends. Maybe changing the
batteries made a difference. Maybe just got a whole lot more careful
where I put my fingers.

Don't think I want to go there. ;-)

--

PeterN
Old July 22nd 12, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 13:49:07 +0200, MG wrote:

Pairs_MG_Reflections
------------------------
This shot has me puzzled. What causes the straight line in the edge of
the water upon which the ducks seem to be virtually standing?

It is the concrete overflow of a dam. The water is just trickling over.

I thought it had to be something like that. Many thanks.

Eric Stevens
Old July 22nd 12, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_2_]

On 2012-07-22 13:13:10 -0700, said:

On Jul 21, 6:18 pm, Eric wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 17:31:54 +1200, Eric Stevens

Pairs_otter_2
---------------
A good idea. I like the stand-out red seat. I can't help feeling there
ought to be a better viewing point and angle.

Possibly. But it was the best angle I had given the circumstances. I
could have shot from the Press Box if I had my 600mm lens, but I
haven't bought that yet.
Interesting that no one seems interested in why this seat is red. I
guess google is everyone's friend.

Damn! You stirred my Sunday curiosity.

So it was the Ted Williams Grandstand hampered, long home run marker at
Section 42, Row 37, Seat 21.

The ball landed on Joseph A. Boucher, penetrating his large straw hat
and hitting him in the head. A confounded Boucher was later quoted as
saying,
“How far away must one sit to be safe in this park?"

Ted Williams is pretty cool about things.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-533849.html

--

PeterN
Old July 23rd 12, 01:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 14:46:29 +1200, Eric Stevens wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 17:31:54 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

Oops! Somehow part of this article has been sent off already. Never
mind, there is more.

This is the second time. I appear to have an 'autosend' option in my
computer. I hope I can get to the end without it striking again. I'll
mark the beginning of the end down below.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pairs_triplets_

When this topic was first mooted someone made a remark which made me
think of reflections, images mirrored in the computer etc. From that
moment I was hooked on reflections and the like and never gave thought
to multiple objects. It's amazing how you can develop a blind spot.

Pairs_Bob_Flint_1
--------------------
I hope you plucked that lateral shoot off after you took the
photograph.

I was in the process of weeding and pruning and shooting and whatever!

Pairs_Bob_Flint_2
--------------------
What can I say? A good shot of a slightly neglected corner of
somebody's garden.

That's a corner of one of my containers, I didn't really expect to get peas
since I planted late, but I got maybe a dozen pods.

Pairs_Bob_Flint_3
--------------------
I give up. What are they, and surely they are not that colour? :-)

They are parts for drawers, stacked together for the photo. The various grooves
are for the corner mini-lock-box joints and inserted bottoms. Cutouts are for
Hettick slides.

I was shooting under fluorescent at too high a shutter speed and was getting the
strangest colors! I kind of guessed in Photoshop. (Yes I set custom white bal
with a white paper, but that only works under 1/60 sec with fluorescent, so I
found out.)

It's actually Birch plywood.

I've got to the end with no more autosends. Maybe changing the
batteries made a difference. Maybe just got a whole lot more careful
where I put my fingers.

I hate laptop keyboards! I'm always hitting the wrong keys. I got a USB keyboard
at Staples for $20 to solve the problem. (When I have room for it) I also use a
USB mouse, my laptop pad goes off by itself and selects things, I'm afraid it
might go shopping at Amazon if I don't watch out!.