Sony to take over from Minolta?

Old January 20th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Sony to take over from Minolta?

Hi,

Just heard the news today about Konica Minolta dropping out of the
camera business. Reputedly they will sell that division of their
operations to Sony.

Does anybody out there know if Sony will then continue with
Minolta-compatible cameras?
What about maintenance? I just bought a second-hand Dynax 9 two days
ago, and I am a bit concerned, for a reason....

I mean, there are quite a few people out there with Minolta-only
lenses... will they now have to update their entire gear?!

cheers...
Marko

Old January 20th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Okay, I read some of the older posts, and this is what I posted to one
of them:

Well, what do you know?! This summer I am going to Gabon to shoot the
local wildlife and of course I will need good photographic gear there.
So two days ago I received a second-hand Dynax 9 for which I had bought
three Sigma lenses a week earlier, and on hearing the news about K-M
dropping out of the camera biz, I was appalled, to say the least.

Now, after reading the comments above, I rest assured: maybe sticking
to 35 mm (and that excellent workhorse) wasn't such a bad idea after
all: if Sony will continue with maintenance and develop top-notch
Minolta-compatible bodies in the future, I might as well stick with
slide (thank you Fuji!) and my film scanner and wait for the big
players to buy each other out. Eventually I think Sony will remain in
the business, which is good news for Minoltians, and perhaps for
compatibility at large as well.

So hold your heads up high, Minoltians!

cheers, Marko

Old January 20th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

On 20 Jan 2006 07:01:01 -0800, "etosha" wrote:

Just heard the news today about Konica Minolta dropping out of the
camera business. Reputedly they will sell that division of their
operations to Sony.

Just selected digital SLR's. Sony already has a product line similar
to the DiMAGE P&S/Advanced P&S cameras, but no SLRs. Sony's not
interested in the film photography business (would you be?). Look for
the Maxxum 5&7Ds to transition.

--
Central Maryland Photographer's Guild - http://cmpg.org
Strange, Geometrical Hinges - http://rob.rnovak.net
Old January 21st 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

etosha wrote:

Okay, I read some of the older posts, and this is what I posted to one
of them:

Well, what do you know?! This summer I am going to Gabon to shoot the
local wildlife and of course I will need good photographic gear there.
So two days ago I received a second-hand Dynax 9 for which I had bought
three Sigma lenses a week earlier, and on hearing the news about K-M
dropping out of the camera biz, I was appalled, to say the least.

Now, after reading the comments above, I rest assured: maybe sticking
to 35 mm (and that excellent workhorse) wasn't such a bad idea after
all: if Sony will continue with maintenance and develop top-notch

Sony will make Maxxum/Dynax compatible bodies. This does not mean (at
least it is not stated) that:

.. they will provide maintenance for Minolta camera
.. they will make more Maxxum/Dynax lenses or flashes
.. they will support/make Minolta scanners (much less critical)

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.