wedding shoot

Old April 4th 05, 06:55 PM
Mr.Bolshoy Huy

Default wedding shoot

Went to a wedding yesterday. There were 2 photogs, one using a Fuji
DSLR, the other 35mm(strange).

I had my 35mm Vivitar P&S.

I ran out of shots quickly. lost some moments while replacing
film.
Dont know if the guy using the DSLR saved as RAW, but I saw him replace
the card just once. I bet even those using P&S digitals shot the whole
day on just one card(which will be reused later).

Furthermore, I really dont like exposing the inside of the camera(lens,
etc.) to the dust, smoke, etc. while replacing the film.

Also, film has an expiration date; something I learned the hard way
once.

I am thinking my next P&S(or even SLR) will be digital.
Can someone give me a reason(s) to stay with film?

Old April 4th 05, 09:21 PM
AnOvercomer 02

(Mr.Bolshoy=A0Huy) wrote:
I am thinking my next P&S(or even SLR)
will be digital. Can someone give me a
reason(s) to stay with film?

A midlevel SLR like the Canon Elan 7n cost about $300 new and a midlevel
DSLR like the 20D cost about $1500. Most DSLRs have a crop factor which
makes wideangle lenses not as wide. Shooting digital may require post
processing. I think most digital P&S cameras have the ability to adjust
the aperture and shutterspeed, a film P&S with the same ability will be
pricey. I don't think digital P&S do well at higher ISOs, over 100 ISO.
I think I am going to stick with film for a while and wait for digital
to become more affordable. I have heard of Canon Rebel SLRs going for
less than $100 on Ebay. You may even find a used one at keh.com for less
than $100.

Cody,

http://community-2.webtv.net/AnOverc...otographyLinks

Old April 4th 05, 11:40 PM
Douglas

"Mr.Bolshoy Huy" wrote in message
oups.com...

I am thinking my next P&S(or even SLR) will be digital.
Can someone give me a reason(s) to stay with film?

I have never, ever seen a 100% totally manual Digital camera. When my dSLRs
let me down, I can rely on an old Mamiya 645 to always work - in any
temperature I've experienced and the good part is I can generally dismantle
it and fix any problems like sand in the workings and still have it function
when I put it back together.

Somehow we have managed to turn the art of Photography into a geeks
paradise. One where we must have a computer and a few grand's worth of
software before our pictures start to look like photographs. Oh well... I'll
have to close now, the horse needs new shoes!

Douglas

Old April 5th 05, 12:47 AM
Al Denelsbeck

"Mr.Bolshoy Huy" wrote in
oups.com:

Went to a wedding yesterday. There were 2 photogs, one using a Fuji
DSLR, the other 35mm(strange).

I had my 35mm Vivitar P&S.

I ran out of shots quickly. lost some moments while replacing
film.
Dont know if the guy using the DSLR saved as RAW, but I saw him replace
the card just once. I bet even those using P&S digitals shot the whole
day on just one card(which will be reused later).

Furthermore, I really dont like exposing the inside of the camera(lens,
etc.) to the dust, smoke, etc. while replacing the film.

Also, film has an expiration date; something I learned the hard way
once.

I am thinking my next P&S(or even SLR) will be digital.
Can someone give me a reason(s) to stay with film?

I'm not sure I can even provide you with a reason to post.

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old April 5th 05, 12:47 AM
Al Denelsbeck

"Mr.Bolshoy Huy" wrote in
oups.com:

Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old April 5th 05, 04:38 AM
Scott W

Mr.Bolshoy Huy wrote:
Went to a wedding yesterday. There were 2 photogs, one using a Fuji
DSLR, the other 35mm(strange).

I had my 35mm Vivitar P&S.

I ran out of shots quickly. lost some moments while replacing
film.
Dont know if the guy using the DSLR saved as RAW, but I saw him

replace
the card just once. I bet even those using P&S digitals shot the

whole
day on just one card(which will be reused later).

Furthermore, I really dont like exposing the inside of the

camera(lens,
etc.) to the dust, smoke, etc. while replacing the film.

Also, film has an expiration date; something I learned the hard way
once.

I am thinking my next P&S(or even SLR) will be digital.
Can someone give me a reason(s) to stay with film?

Forgive me but this post seems like less like a question and more like
a jab at people who use film. It is one thing to try and have a
serious discussion about film vs. digital but you post seem more to be
asking "why in the world would anyone still be using film?".

I may be miss reading your post and if I am a apologize, but to me it
seems that you are challenging people as to why they use film.

There are any number of reasons to use film, If you want the speed of
an SLR but don't want to pay the price of an DSLR then you are going
to be stuck with film, at least for a while. Each person has to make
their own decision as to when it makes sense to go digital, given that
the prices are falling and will continue to fall it would be hard to
fault someone for holding off to get a better deal.

If you are at all happy with a P&S film camera then you will likely be
happy with a P&S digital as well. What you do in large part depends on
what you are going to do with your photos. For myself I want every
photo I have on my computer, this means scanning negatives from film
shots.

Using a good 35mm camera with a good low ISO film and scanning the
photos can produce good images, but at a high cost. For myself the
time was a large factor, then there was the scratches the processor
always seemed to get on the negatives. I am also not the most
organized person so having the digital photos date stamped is a big
help.

But if you don't care about having your photos on your computer this
might not matter as much, clearly there are those in this group who
have no great interest in having their photos on their computers.

Please keep in mind that just because you don't want to use film does
not mean that others might not. If you really are interested in going
digital, and not just tweaking the film guys, then I suggest that you
do a lot of research on just what kind of digital camera would suit
your needs. When you find a camera that you think you would like you
should ask yourself if you will likely take enough photos with it in
the next two to three years for it to be worth it, because in two to
three years you will likely want a newer model.

Scott