Thoughts on Hoya Filters?

Old January 8th 07, 06:07 AM posted to alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras,rec.photo.digital
Mark Williams

Default Thoughts on Hoya Filters?

I am in need of UV and Circular Polarizer filters. In reading reviews...
it definitely sounds like B+W is the best and worth the price. If I were
using L series lenses, I would definitely get these. Other filters that
are mentioned as good are Heliopan and Hoya. I see Hoyas are a little more
reasonably priced. I know the quality is probably not the same as B+W, but
are Hoyas still good quality filters and a good bang for the buck?

Old January 8th 07, 07:33 AM posted to alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras,rec.photo.digital
Steve Wolfe

I am in need of UV and Circular Polarizer filters. In reading reviews...
it definitely sounds like B+W is the best and worth the price. If I were
using L series lenses, I would definitely get these. Other filters that
are mentioned as good are Heliopan and Hoya. I see Hoyas are a little
more reasonably priced. I know the quality is probably not the same as
B+W, but are Hoyas still good quality filters and a good bang for the buck?

More important than which of those brands is that you buy multi-coated
filters, as opposed to single-coated or uncoated.

steve

Old January 8th 07, 11:59 AM posted to alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras,rec.photo.digital
Bryan Olson

Mark Williams wrote:
I am in need of UV and Circular Polarizer filters. In reading reviews...
it definitely sounds like B+W is the best and worth the price. If I were
using L series lenses, I would definitely get these. Other filters that
are mentioned as good are Heliopan and Hoya. I see Hoyas are a little more
reasonably priced. I know the quality is probably not the same as B+W, but
are Hoyas still good quality filters and a good bang for the buck?

I think Hoya's multi-coated filters are excellent, and a bargain
compared to the boutique brands. Could any of the reviews actually
show an optical difference?

--
--Bryan
Old January 8th 07, 01:33 PM posted to alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras,rec.photo.digital
Bob Salomon

In article ,
"Mark Williams" wrote:

I am in need of UV and Circular Polarizer filters. In reading reviews...
it definitely sounds like B+W is the best and worth the price. If I were
using L series lenses, I would definitely get these. Other filters that
are mentioned as good are Heliopan and Hoya. I see Hoyas are a little more
reasonably priced. I know the quality is probably not the same as B+W, but
are Hoyas still good quality filters and a good bang for the buck?

Simply stated, there is no filter better then the Heliopan and there is
no filter coating equal to or more effective then Heliopan SH-PMC. It is
the ultimate quality German filter.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old January 8th 07, 11:05 PM posted to alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras,rec.photo.digital
David Ruether

"Mark Williams" wrote in message . ..

I am in need of UV and Circular Polarizer filters. In reading reviews... it definitely sounds like B+W is the best and worth the
price. If I were using L series lenses, I would definitely get these. Other filters that are mentioned as good are Heliopan and
Hoya. I see Hoyas are a little more reasonably priced. I know the quality is probably not the same as B+W, but are Hoyas still
good quality filters and a good bang for the buck?

I wouldn't waste money on the "expensive spread" when
Hoya is entirely satisfactory (though sometimes the thin
glass retaining ring is out of place when purchased and
needs to be pressed back into place). BTW, I'm not a
believer in multicoating for filters - I think it is unnecessary,
more expensive, and harder to clean. Avoid Tiffen filters
since they "self-fog" and their rims are too deep for some
lenses. If I must buy Tiffen to get an unusual color, I
remount the glass in a better rim, and make sure to clean
the glass just before I use.
--
David Ruether

http://www.ferrario.com/ruether

Old January 8th 07, 11:41 PM posted to alt.comp.devices.digital-cameras,rec.photo.digital
Peter Lawrence

Mark Williams wrote:
I am in need of UV and Circular Polarizer filters. In reading reviews...
it definitely sounds like B+W is the best and worth the price. If I were
using L series lenses, I would definitely get these. Other filters that
are mentioned as good are Heliopan and Hoya. I see Hoyas are a little more
reasonably priced. I know the quality is probably not the same as B+W, but
are Hoyas still good quality filters and a good bang for the buck?

I've found that Hoya's Super-Multicoated (S-HMC) filters to be of
comparable optical quality to the Heliopan's SH-PMC filters.
Construction-wise, I think the Heliopan's are slightly sturdier. The
amount of multicoatings on B+W filters isn't as extensive as Heliopan's
SH-PMC or Hoya's SMC filters.

BTW, the majority of polarizing and UV filters I own are Hoya S-HMC
Pro-1 filters. I like those filters because they have thin THREADED
rings. I also own Heliopan and B+W filters. They are all good
filters, but the Hoya's super-multicoated ones are the best value,
IMHO.

- Peter