Canon 70-200mm L IS f/2.8 lens w/1.4x - - carrying case?

Old November 9th 05, 09:21 PM
-hh

Default Canon 70-200mm L IS f/2.8 lens w/1.4x - - carrying case?

Looking for suggestions on a carrying case (which I'll also want to
then strap onto a camera carrying pack or belt) that will successfully
accomodate the Canon 70-200mm L IS f/2.8 lens when it *also* has a 1.4x
teleextender installed.

Naturally, I'm also assuming the hood's on the lens too, in the
reversed storage position.

Suggestions?

-hh

Old November 9th 05, 09:39 PM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

This is the stuff I have, http://www.kinesisgear.com/. Very modular, very
well made. I use the belt system along with a holster. The nice thing is I
can detach needed cases from the belt and attach them to the holster and
make up a very nice shoulder bag.

--

Rob
oups.com...

Old November 9th 05, 11:36 PM
Siddhartha Jain

-hh wrote:
Looking for suggestions on a carrying case (which I'll also want to
then strap onto a camera carrying pack or belt) that will successfully
accomodate the Canon 70-200mm L IS f/2.8 lens when it *also* has a 1.4x
teleextender installed.

Naturally, I'm also assuming the hood's on the lens too, in the
reversed storage position.

Suggestions?

-hh

Looked at Lowepro's Street and Field system? I just ordered the "light
waist belt" with two lens pouches. I have a Tamrac 517 holster bag for
the Canon 300D that I carry around with a chest harness. I find this
arragement more practical than carrying my gear in a back-pack. With a
back-pack, you need to get the thing off your back when you need a lens
change, open the chains, change lenses, put everything back and then
put the bag on the back. Too cumbersome!!

- Siddhartha

Old November 10th 05, 07:33 AM
Kyle Jones

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
-hh wrote:

[...]

Tamrac's Velocity series bags work as backpacks but you can slide them
around to the side or front to get at your gear thanks to the clever
strap design. I have the Velocity 7 bag and it works well.

Old November 10th 05, 03:56 PM
-hh

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
-hh wrote:
Looking [to] accomodate the Canon 70-200mm L IS f/2.8 lens
when it *also* has a 1.4x teleextender installed.

Looked at Lowepro's Street and Field system?

Briefly. I'm going to use a daypack bag as my airline carry-on, and
I've settled on a Tamrac CyberPack 9 pack as it will also accomodate a
laptop.

My inquiry here really is for a second bag that I'll use for
transporting the camera system out in the field...one that I can
preferably wear a standard day pack with, for carrying raingear, water
and lunch. This relegates its basic design to a waist-based "fanny
pack" on steriods type of system.

To this end, I've test-fitted the gear into the Lowepro Off Trail 2
Camera Beltpack, and I've found that it will *just barely* fit the
vertical stack height of a 20D+1.4x+(lens): this combination is 11.75"
deep, whereas the Lowepro is officially only rated to swallow 11.5" -
hence, why its a tight fit.

In digging down through Kinesis's website's products, the C580 appears
to be slightly deeper than the above LowePro..."enough deeper?" is the
question.

Next, I expect to typically be carrying the body with either very wide
or very long lens, so I want two lens-only bags in addition - one of
which will fit my WA, and the other one to fit the stack of a
(1.4x)+(lens) together. FWIW, I don't consider the storage needs for a
loose 1.4x to be a major concern.

The two external lens-only cases that Off Trail 2 comes standard with
doesn't cut it, since they measure 3.5" x 8.5" and the (1.4x)+(lens)
measures 9 11/16" (~9.6875") long.

I didn't measure it without the 1.4x, but I think that its diameter
isn't happy trying to swallow the 70-200 with its hood attached anyway.
I haven't checked it with my WA, but its also a 77mm lens + hood, so
if diameter's a problem for the one, it will be a problem for both.

For lens bags, the Kinesis E280 lens case looks like it *should* be
barely deep enough for carrying my Canon (1.4x)+(70-200mm f/2.8 IS)
stacked together, as its dimensional claims suggest that it will just
barely fit (specification's rating of 11.75" suggests I have 1/16" of
clearance) that this will fit, whereas they state that the Nikon
version of the same will not fit. Of course, this doesn't say if its a
"tight fit" or a more generous one that won't result in a stressed
zipper or similar.

If anyone can confirm fit on either of these two, I'd greatly
appreciate it.

-hh

Old November 10th 05, 06:12 PM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

"-hh" wrote in message
oups.com...

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
-hh wrote:
[...]

Ok I can't confirm the exact fit of your gear but I can tell you what I
carry in my Kinesis rig and you can compare measurements to see if it will
work.

Before I start I will also say that I looked at Lowpro and Tamrac before
Kinesis and ran into the same sizing problems you are having. I found the
Kinesis system to have more realistic sized cases for my purposes.

I have the following:

Holster
C500 http://www.kinesisgear.com/c/C500.html
This carries my 20D w/ grip and 28-135 including properly attached hood. It
also has my backup flash, an EX420
NOTE: This is not attached to my belt.

Lens Cases
E280 Large Case http://www.kinesisgear.com/e/E280.html
This case very easily holds my 100-400 w/ hood inverted along with my 2x
converter. I can also keep the tripod bracket attached although with the
tripod mounting bracket attached to the lens bracket it's a bit difficult to
slide in and out.

E180 Medium Case http://www.kinesisgear.com/e/E180.html
This case is for my 28-135 when it's not attached to the camera. The lens
fits with plenty of room, hood inverted. I can even get the lens in with
hood installed correctly and close the lid using the Velcro strap. Works
nicely when swapping lenses in the field.

E330 Two Lens Case http://www.kinesisgear.com/e/E330.html
This is a very versatile case. When I first got it I only had a 300D so it
held things like my kit lens and a cloth and extra batteries. Now that I
have a 20D and a 300D, I place the 300D body w/ grip in the case and the kit
lens and my 50mm f1.8 stacked beside the 300D. There enough room for a
padded divider between the lens and body. Even with the 300D body and two
small lenses there is still enough room for me to fold my cotton cloth and
put it on top of the 300D and close the lid with the zippers. In the front
pouch I have plastic bags, my remote shutter releases, and my AA battery
back for the 20D grip.

Other Cases
A126 Vertical Accessory Pouch http://www.kinesisgear.com/a/A126.html
This holds my primary flash, an EX580 along with 3 sets of extra batteries
and the mini stands for both flashes.

F103 Filter Case http://www.kinesisgear.com/f/F103.html
This holds, of course, a few filters and I've found it a great place to hold
my CF cards and lens caps then I'm shooting. I also have a half sheet of
decongestant tabs there for when I suffer from an allergy attack.

A170 Water Bottle Case http://www.kinesisgear.com/a/A170.html
For the obvious but it's also proven handy as a spot to dump things when
needed. It has a cinch strap at the top so it can be securely closed if
necessary.

Seems like a lot to have around your waist but I can tell you it's all very
comfortable. I've done some long hikes with the gear, including my tripod,
and was very comfortable and if necessary I can just remove what I don't
need.

As noted the holster in not attached to the belt because most of the time
the camera is around my neck. I have a shoulder strap, from Kinesis, for
the holster and on occasion when all I need is a small shoulder bag I'll
take only the holster and I'll attach any one or two of my other cases to
bring along the proper equipment.

The thing to note about Kinesis is that the product was created by a
photographer so you can safely assume that it will meet the needs of a
photographer. I'm sure that other bag manufactures do a large amount of
research but there's nothing like a system designed by a photog for photogs.

Old November 10th 05, 08:56 PM

-hh wrote:

If anyone can confirm fit on either of these two, I'd greatly
appreciate it.

Despite the prices, I _highly_ recommend Kinesis equipment.. The F&S
stuff is vaguely ok, but isn't as modular as the Kinesis system. You
should email the proprietor and ask: he is very cool about questions
like this.

Old November 11th 05, 07:58 AM
Siddhartha Jain

-hh wrote:

If anyone can confirm fit on either of these two, I'd greatly
appreciate it.

See this:
http://www.kinesisgear.com/competitors.html

Hope this helps,

- Siddhartha

Old November 11th 05, 03:12 PM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

"Siddhartha Jain" wrote in message
oups.com...

-hh wrote:

If anyone can confirm fit on either of these two, I'd greatly
appreciate it.

See this:
http://www.kinesisgear.com/competitors.html

Hope this helps,

Then after you look buy the Kinesis system, you won't regret it. ;-)