SPREADING WINGS FOR THE 40D!

Old June 5th 08, 03:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_2_]

Default SPREADING WINGS FOR THE 40D!

? "Annika1980" ?????? ??? ??????
The 40D is delivering the goods!
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/98146203

A few more taken this evening:

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/98149649

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/98149650

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/98149652

IFYPFY.
Otherwise, your photos are as good as ever.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Old June 5th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
jimkramer

Default SPREADING WIDE FOR THE 40D!

"Annika1980" wrote in message
On Jun 5, 10:13 am, "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios"
wrote:

IFYPFY.
Otherwise, your photos are as good as ever.

WTF does IFYPFY mean?

TTFN,
-A.
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/IFYPFY
-Jim

Old June 5th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
jimkramer

wrote:

IFYPFY.
Otherwise, your photos are as good as ever.

WTF does IFYPFY mean?

TTFN,
-A.
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/IFYPFY
-Jim

Yep. One just needs to RTFM in order to find out what IFYPFY means.

Bob
--
== NOTE: I automatically delete all Google Group posts due to uncontrolled
SPAM ==

But "most" people reading Usenet are illiterate. :-)
-Jim

Old June 6th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
donLouis

wrote:

IFYPFY.
Otherwise, your photos are as good as ever.

WTF does IFYPFY mean?

TTFN,
-A.

i actually use a program on my system named, "wtf", as in;

%wtf ifypfyenter
%ifypfy: nothing appropriate

whereas

%wtf ttfnenter
%ttfn: ta ta for now

so anyway, are you able to handhold the 40d / 400mm combo, or
do you need to use a tripod and or monopod for these types
of shots?

--
donLouis
papaindia (at) comcast (dot) net
Old June 6th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Troy Piggins[_14_]

wrote:

IFYPFY.
Otherwise, your photos are as good as ever.

WTF does IFYPFY mean?

TTFN,
-A.

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/IFYPFY

HTH & HAND

--
Troy Piggins
Old June 6th 08, 11:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
donLouis

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 06:42:12 -0700 (PDT)
Annika1980 wrote:

On Jun 5, 8:53*pm, donLouis wrote:

so anyway, are you able to handhold the 40d / 400mm combo, or
do you need to use a tripod and or monopod for these types
of shots?

TAFW!

%wtf tafwenter
%tafw: nothing appropriate

translation, please?

Old June 6th 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Mark Thomas

Isn't it great how acronyms save sooo much time and bandwidth...

Annika1980 wrote:

On Jun 5, 8:53 pm, donLouis wrote:

so anyway, are you able to handhold the 40d / 400mm combo, or
do you need to use a tripod and or monopod for these types
of shots?

TAFW!

translation, please?

I'm guessing Tripods Are For Wimps.

Old June 7th 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 15:59:30 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980
wrote:

On Jun 6, 6:52*pm, Mark Thomas
wrote:

I'm guessing Tripods Are For Wimps.

You know me too well.

I did wimp out on many of the nest shots, but of course the flying
shots were taken handheld using the 40D's awesome servo tracking
capability.

With a Nikon, all you'd get is a blurry bird or a dog's hairy
butthole.

That seems to say that the good pictures are solely the result of good
equipment. Does this mean that you feel that you could not take a
good photograph if all you had available was a Nikon?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old June 7th 08, 04:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Mark Thomas

tony cooper wrote:
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 15:59:30 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980 wrote:
I did wimp out on many of the nest shots, but of course the flying
shots were taken handheld using the 40D's awesome servo tracking
capability.

With a Nikon, all you'd get is a blurry bird or a dog's hairy
butthole.

That seems to say that the good pictures are solely the result of good
equipment. Does this mean that you feel that you could not take a
good photograph if all you had available was a Nikon?

Tony, do you have a Nikon? If so, could you post some similar shots so
we could compare the Nikon's AF efficiency? After all, this type of
photography is extremely challenging, and the hardware does indeed make
a difference.

I'd probably lean to a Nikon if I was to buy a DSLR today, but Bret's
images show me that the 40D is capable of some extraordinary results in
that shooting environment. (OK, so I'm not that interested in bird
photography.. but if I was...)

So why not add to the thread, instead of demonstrating that your sense
of humour appears to have been surgically removed? (O:
Old June 7th 08, 06:24 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 13:17:31 +1000, Mark Thomas
wrote:

tony cooper wrote:
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 15:59:30 -0700 (PDT), Annika1980 wrote:
I did wimp out on many of the nest shots, but of course the flying
shots were taken handheld using the 40D's awesome servo tracking
capability.

With a Nikon, all you'd get is a blurry bird or a dog's hairy
butthole.

That seems to say that the good pictures are solely the result of good
equipment. Does this mean that you feel that you could not take a
good photograph if all you had available was a Nikon?

Tony, do you have a Nikon?

Yes, two. A Nikon Coolpix P2 that I keep in the car every day, and a
Nikon D40 with an 18/55 and a 55/200 lens.

If so, could you post some similar shots so
we could compare the Nikon's AF efficiency? After all, this type of
photography is extremely challenging, and the hardware does indeed make
a difference.

Yes, the equipment makes a difference. Where I live in Florida,
osprey are pretty easy to spot, but seldom close enough to bring in
with the 55/200. Bret used a 400mm lens. Give me a 400mm lens, and
I'd be glad to try to get a comparable image.

That doesn't mean that I would *get* a comparable shot. Bret's a damn
good photographer. He positions himself well, he uses good equipment,
and he probably senses which settings will yield the best photograph.

To say, though, that a Canon 40D is what makes Bret's photograph good,
is to understate Bret's ability as a photographer. If he's good,
he'll get good images with a Canon or a Nikon.

To say that a Nikon is only good for photographing your pet dog's butt
from 10 feet away is pure silliness. Yeah, I know he's just baiting
Rita, but it's still infantile.

I'd probably lean to a Nikon if I was to buy a DSLR today, but Bret's
images show me that the 40D is capable of some extraordinary results in
that shooting environment. (OK, so I'm not that interested in bird
photography.. but if I was...)

So why not add to the thread,

What do you add to a thread like this? I'm not interested the Nikon
vs Canon dick-waving contests. While I admire some of Bret's images,
his battle with Rita and Rita's battle with him is beyond boring.

instead of demonstrating that your sense
of humour appears to have been surgically removed? (O:

Now that you've established that what you look for in an addition to a
thread is a topper for "a dog's hairy butthole", here's a contest that
should appeal to that keen and sophisticated sense of humor of yours:
http://tinyurl.com/4retk6

Not as good as the Windesmear vs Boomer contest that we laughed at in
the 1950s, though. Still, more humorous than the Canon vs Nikon
contest as presented here.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida