Is there no Good image viewing and managing software ?

Old August 12th 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rabid man

Default Is there no Good image viewing and managing software ?

I can't find software that fits this criteria

1) folder tree structure ala windows explorer. Along with that, should
come right and left click drags to copy and move files to other
directories

2) Tagging. Sorry, I don't want to keep my hand on the control key
while I select files - I want to go into tag mode and then click away

3) If I'm moving or copying a file to another directory and a file
with the same name exists, I want to see the images involved before I
just select replace

4) raw image support ie canon

XNView has a great interface but has no tagging feature whatsoever
which is unacceptable. I just tried copying files with a drag and it
give me some weird error - on a file copy no less. Unacceptable

Faststone - quick good, but file replace/overwrite does not show the
files involved. Has tagging which is pretty good although being
picking I would like a larger area to click a tag on a file. No
dragging of files ala explorer. They don't answer their emails. I have
emailed twice, about 6 months apart, and am yet to hear a response

Irfanview - just don't like it. Doesn't have the same nice interface
like the above 2 programs

Thumbs Plus - don't like messing around with thumbnail creating (might
be a way to turn this off). No drag copying but this program is pretty
good. Tagging is kludgy - a tiny flag indicates a selection and you
have to hit the insert key. Viewing tagged files is buried in a
menu....No so professional looking interface with a cheesy thumb icon

ACDSee - would love to try the latest version but it crashes on my
main comp. I have used older versions which seemed quite good

Is there not a program out there has nice tagging, an explorer like
interface, drag and drop copying/moving, shows the files involved in a
file replace /overwrite and has support for raw images ???

any input appreciated..

best regards

Old August 12th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark B.

Have you looked at BreezeBrowser? You can d/l a trial at www.breezesys.com.
You'll need the Pro version for support of more recent raw files.

Mark

Old August 12th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
smb

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 20:59:24 -0700, Rabid man
wrote:

[...]

Check out Lightroom. It will do most anything you want and the
interface is superb. It was designed from the ground up for
photographers (A bit pricey, though.)

Steve

Old August 13th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rabid man

thanks for the responses...
Breeze browser has no drag and drop support and file overwrites do not
show the files involved

cheers...

Old August 14th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark B.

"Rabid man" wrote in message
ps.com...
thanks for the responses...
Breeze browser has no drag and drop support

Certainly it does, assuming you mean drag 'n drop in the traditional sense -
simply grab the thumbnail shown on the right-side pane and drag it to a new
folder.

and file overwrites do not
show the files involved

If I drag a file to a folder already containing a file with the same name,
it asks if I want to replace the file and does in fact show the file name.

Mark

Old August 15th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rabid man

drag and drop yes (move), drag and copy, if I recollect correctly, not

the filename - BUT NOT THE PICTURES of the the files involved...
acdsee does (but crashes non stop)

the quest continues...

Old August 15th 07, 11:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark B.

"Rabid man" wrote in message
oups.com...
drag and drop yes (move), drag and copy, if I recollect correctly, not

the filename - BUT NOT THE PICTURES of the the files involved...
acdsee does (but crashes non stop)

the quest continues...

You're nitpicking. Right-click will bring up a menu where you can select
'copy to...'. As for drag 'n drop, you have to drag the thumbnail...you're
looking right at the pic involved to do it, so I don't understand what
you're getting at.

Mark

Old August 15th 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_4_]

You could also try: PIE - Picture Information Extractor

http://www.picmeta.com/en.htm

and PIE Studio: "The integrated solution for image management and
printing."

David

Old August 15th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Anoni Moose

On Aug 11, 8:59 pm, Rabid man wrote:
I can't find software that fits this criteria

1) folder tree structure ala windows explorer. Along with that, should
come right and left click drags to copy and move files to other
directories

2) Tagging. Sorry, I don't want to keep my hand on the control key
while I select files - I want to go into tag mode and then click away

3) If I'm moving or copying a file to another directory and a file
with the same name exists, I want to see the images involved before I
just select replace

4) raw image support ie canon

Although I can't suggest anything directly, I will suggest
consideration of
a different "mode" of operation. Rather than organizing through
"physical"
movement of tiles in directories, organize things virtually. Have
files be
"wherever" (we use half-year container directories with session
subdirectories)
but have an organized view of them that itself can be manipulated.
Meaning you still move images around however you want, but you're not
moving
the files, but the way they're organized in the the program's
database. There
are a lot of pragmatic advantages to this approach and a lot of
programs make
this method workable. There's a website with something like a couple
dozen
programs with their features put in a single large table (and links to
each). Don't
recall where it is but it should be google findable. For me it was
ironic that I
was ready to pay out big bucks for something good when a cheap one
($30)
turned out to be the best for my needs (which did not include Canon
raw support).
Post what you end up with!

Old August 16th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rabid man

Mark..

not sure why you don't understand this...

you are moving a picture (which you can see) to another directory..
O no, that same file name exists in the other directory...
Do you want to overwrite the file ? maybe...some programs will show
both files involved in the dialog box. Not just the file names, the
actual
picture of the 2 files involved - then you know for sure whether you
want to overwrite....
without this feature, you have to go to that other directory, find the
file, view it and make
sure if you want to overwrite it or not...

can't make it any clearer than that...

oups.com...