Feasability of repairing dead 1394 connector on Sony Dig8 camcorder?

Old December 1st 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
Doc

Default Feasability of repairing dead 1394 connector on Sony Dig8 camcorder?

Have a Sony Digital8 and it appears the 1394 port has died. I have a 6
foot and 10 foot firewire cables. Never had a problem with the 6-foot
cable but the connection on the 10-foot has always been iffy - if it
got jostled the right way I lost the connection to the computer.
However because of where I needed the cam to be, the 6-foot connection
wasn't long enough. Upon close inspection of the ends on both, the
height of the contacts didn't seem exactly the same. So I did a little
light squeezing of the 10-foot cable's end with needlenose pliers to
adjust it a hair.

Plugged it into the 1394 port and got nothing no matter what. Then when
plugging in the previously dependable 6-foot cable, got nothing from
that either. Tried wiggling both at various angles to see if I could
establish any connection, get nothing on 2 different computers. So,
obviously something's wrong.

1) Any suggestions for remedies I might try on a DIY basis? An chance
it could be a mechanical physical contact issue and not an internal
fried chip/circuit issue?

2) Any idea what cost for such a repair would likely run? The problem
is, without a 1394 connection, the cam is kinda pointless. Yes, it has
analog out which works but the whole point of the Digital Cam is to be
able to create DV files.

3) Are the 1394 connectors generally fragile or are there brands with
ports that are more robust than others? What do you think I might have
done to cause this or was it possibly just a coincidence? I didn't poke
around the port on the cam at all, just tweaked the end of the one
cable a small amount.

Thanks for all input.

Old December 1st 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
Robert

Doc wrote:
[...]

If you connected a 6 pin cable to the camera or PC port while the
camera is on their is a risk of blowing the IEEE port on the camera.
The 6 pin plug runs an active power lead and any mis-alignment might get
the volts onto the wrong pin and poooooffffff! Sony charges like a
roaring bull to replace a card.
Alternatively it might still be just the cable. Borrow a known good
one and try it.
Old December 1st 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
Gene E. Bloch

On 11/30/2006, Robert posted this:
Doc wrote:
[...]

Usually the camera end is 4-pin, and there should never be any power
there, absent an internal short at the 6-pin end - which might not even
have 6 pins in the shell, for all I know. OK, just looked at one - it
does have six pins at the big end.

FWIW, the RS-232 spec explicitly states that the interface electronics
will be immune to any short-circuit or misconnection of the pins. I
have no idea if USB and FireWire have such a provision, but it *would*
be nice.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

Old December 1st 06, 09:22 AM posted to rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
Colin_D

Doc wrote:
[...]

If you squeezed the cable a wee bit too hard and closed up one of the
female connector pins a trifle too far, inserting the plug may have
driven the corresponding pin in the socket backwards far enough to not
make contact. If so, you may be able to get to the back of the socket
and push the pin forward again, but it will be loosened and may never
stay in place.

In that case, a new socket would seem to be required.

Colin D.

Old December 1st 06, 10:36 AM posted to rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
Doc

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message

FWIW, the RS-232 spec explicitly states that the interface electronics
will be immune to any short-circuit or misconnection of the pins. I
have no idea if USB and FireWire have such a provision, but it *would*
be nice.

Can you advise what RS-232 is? What relation does this have to Firewire?

Old December 1st 06, 10:37 AM posted to rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
Doc

Feasibility even....

Old December 1st 06, 10:40 AM posted to rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
Jukka Aho

Doc wrote:

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote

FWIW, the RS-232 spec explicitly states that [...]

Can you advise what RS-232 is? What relation does this have
to Firewire?

Now I'm feeling old...

--
znark

Old December 1st 06, 12:30 PM posted to rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 10:36:28 +0000, Doc wrote:

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote in message

FWIW, the RS-232 spec explicitly states that the interface electronics
will be immune to any short-circuit or misconnection of the pins. I
have no idea if USB and FireWire have such a provision, but it *would*
be nice.

Can you advise what RS-232 is? What relation does this have to Firewire?

The standard serial interface, used for modems, printers, mice, and all
sorts of other things before USB came along. Has some advantages over
USB, like it works fine from one end of a building to the other and you
can easily make your own cables, but isn't designed to support hubs with
multiple attachments and is relatively slow, especially compared to USB2
Hi-speed.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old December 1st 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

We lost the Firewire port on two different Canon camcorders, and
discussed this with a guy at our best photo store in the area. He
claims on the Canon and many other camcorders the 1394 interface is on
a daughterboard, and the wires connecting it to the main board are very
fragile. We are not sure if this is the problem or not- the day
before we noticed the lack of 1394, we had left the cameras in a very
hot car trunk for an extended period of time.

He claimed repair on the cheaper Canon would likely be around 200
bucks- the more expensive one (GL2) would be more. Our solution was to
buy a 250 buck camcorder to act as a Firewire deck, plus it is another
backup camera. We'll take great pains with this one to protect it from
both shock and heat.

BTW, we also lost the Firewire connection on the motherboard of our
main video editing computer. As far as I am concerned, Firewire does
not seem to be very robust as far as hardware is concerned :-(

Old December 1st 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
Frank

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 12:40:53 +0200, in 'rec.video.desktop',
in article Feasability of repairing dead 1394 connector on Sony
Dig8 camcorder?,
"Jukka Aho" wrote:

Doc wrote:

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote

FWIW, the RS-232 spec explicitly states that [...]

Can you advise what RS-232 is? What relation does this have
to Firewire?

Now I'm feeling old...

LOL.

Me, too.

--
Frank, Independent Consultant, New York, NY
[Please remove 'nojunkmail.' from address to reply via e-mail.]