Are USB cables for Nikon, Sony, and Canon the same?

Old December 21st 05, 04:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Are USB cables for Nikon, Sony, and Canon the same?

I have a Nikon D50, Canon SD500 digital cameras and a Sony DVD403
camcorder. They all come with USB cables that look identical on both
ends. Do I need them all or are they all interchangeable?

Thanks,
Marty

Old December 21st 05, 06:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Marty" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Nikon D50, Canon SD500 digital cameras and a Sony DVD403
camcorder. They all come with USB cables that look identical on both
ends. Do I need them all or are they all interchangeable?

I have a Nikon D70 and a Canon SD400, as well as an MP3 player that all work
with the interchangeable USB cables. I cannot say about the camcorder
because I use Firewire for that.

Old December 22nd 05, 12:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article .com,
"Marty" wrote:

I have a Nikon D50, Canon SD500 digital cameras and a Sony DVD403
camcorder. They all come with USB cables that look identical on both
ends. Do I need them all or are they all interchangeable?

If one cable will physically fit all three cameras, it will work with
all three cameras. However, there are at least two different sized
connectors at the camera end, but they look similar at first glance.
Old December 22nd 05, 02:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

I believe they are all mini USB cables. If it fits, it will work.

:-)

Old December 22nd 05, 01:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Sorry this is a bit out of the question, but the Canon USB cable does
NOT fit on a Lumix Panasonic.

Do I need them all or are they all interchangeable?

If you got all these near hand, the best answer is to try. If it fits,
it will merely connect.

Old December 22nd 05, 08:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article .com,
Marty wrote:

I have a Nikon D50, Canon SD500 digital cameras and a Sony DVD403
camcorder. They all come with USB cables that look identical on both
ends. Do I need them all or are they all interchangeable?

Give it a try. If it physically fits (DON'T force it) it will most
likely work. OTOH, I have two different Nikon digitals and they require
DIFFERENT cables.