Wanted, smaller photos from a high megapixel camera

Old November 3rd 05, 02:14 PM
Chita

Default Wanted, smaller photos from a high megapixel camera

I have a Nikon 8700, 8 megs. I need a series of photos of the specific
size: 640 x 480. What's the easiest, fastest, most efficient way to
achieve this with the Nikon 8700? There are likely to be over 1,000
photos so even a few seconds difference in the procedure can make a
large difference over time. Hardware, software, combinations - what is
the best way to do this?

Hints, tips and war stories gratefully accepted.

Old November 3rd 05, 02:49 PM
John Ortt

Set your camera to take small pictures at low quality (whatever the lowest
setting is) which will prob leave you with 1600 x 1200 or similar on a
modern camera. The rest of the shrinking will have to be done with an image
editing program such as Photoshop or Paintshop Pro. You can batch process a
folder meaning all the prints will be resized without you having to do each
one individually.

Another thing which may help is connecting the camera straight to the
computer and sending the pictures straight to the hard drive if your camera
(and location) allows you to do so. Depending on your flash card memory
size it will save time changing cards and copying across from the card to
the computer and can help achieve standardised output results.

Hope that helps,

John

ups.com...

Old November 3rd 05, 02:55 PM

John Ortt wrote:
Set your camera to take small pictures at low quality (whatever the lowest
setting is) which will prob leave you with 1600 x 1200 or similar on a
modern camera. The rest of the shrinking will have to be done with an image
editing program such as Photoshop or Paintshop Pro. You can batch process a
folder meaning all the prints will be resized without you having to do each
one individually.

Another thing which may help is connecting the camera straight to the
computer and sending the pictures straight to the hard drive if your camera
(and location) allows you to do so. Depending on your flash card memory
size it will save time changing cards and copying across from the card to
the computer and can help achieve standardised output results.

Hope that helps,

John

According to the data at www.dpreview.com the 8700 can output 640x480
anyway..so job done, no post processing necessary.

ups.com...

Old November 3rd 05, 03:02 PM
Chris Brown

In article . com,
Chita wrote:
I have a Nikon 8700, 8 megs. I need a series of photos of the specific
size: 640 x 480. What's the easiest, fastest, most efficient way to
achieve this with the Nikon 8700? There are likely to be over 1,000
photos so even a few seconds difference in the procedure can make a
large difference over time. Hardware, software, combinations - what is
the best way to do this?

If you're on a Mac, or Linux, the following will work quite nicely (from the
shell prompt), assuming you have ImageMagick installed:

for i in *.jpg *.JPG; do convert -size 640x480 $i -resize 640x480 new_$i; done

Just run it in the directory containing your files and wait. I think you can
get ImageMagick for Windows as well, but the scripting will be a bit
different.
Old November 3rd 05, 03:16 PM
Martin Brown

Chita wrote:
I have a Nikon 8700, 8 megs. I need a series of photos of the specific
size: 640 x 480. What's the easiest, fastest, most efficient way to
achieve this with the Nikon 8700? There are likely to be over 1,000
photos so even a few seconds difference in the procedure can make a
large difference over time. Hardware, software, combinations - what is
the best way to do this?

Hints, tips and war stories gratefully accepted.

IrfanView will do batch resizing and you can't beat the price.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old November 3rd 05, 03:17 PM
Chita

Sorry, Chris, I'm using a PC.

Old November 3rd 05, 03:23 PM
Chita

IrfanView looks very good for this. I'll practice a bit and see how
well the batch process holds up. THANKS! It's been a long while since I
used Irfan. It's held up very well. I'll check for updates, this might
be the best answer.

Old November 3rd 05, 03:25 PM
Chita

The Nikon 8700 stores movies in a different format, which would require
me to do more processing overall. I need standard .jpg files.

Old November 3rd 05, 03:27 PM
David J Taylor

Chita wrote:
The Nikon 8700 stores movies in a different format, which would
require me to do more processing overall. I need standard .jpg files.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp8700/page2.asp

The 8700 includes 640 x 480 as one of its standard image sizes, for still
images.

David

Old November 3rd 05, 03:31 PM
Chita

Some days lately, it feels as if I own every graphics program ever
written. The most recent addition to the stable: Photoshop Elements 4,
which I like but do not LUV. I gave up on Photoshop several years ago.
Too much work for this project anyway. I honestly don't think that sort
of firepower is all that useful to me. We'll see. Right now, the
"sweet spot" might be Ultrasnap Pro from Mediachance or Irfanview,
which seems to do the same thing as UltraSnap but with less automation.