Best 17" lcd monitor??

Old January 30th 05, 01:22 AM
andre

Default Best 17" lcd monitor??

Haven't seen any really good ones compared to CRT when it comes to color
reproduction except some really expensive ones (I heard the Apple Cinema
Display is excellent).
for photoshop, the Gimp, etc??

or even, the best 5.

which has the sharpest images and text?

That depends on resolution and should not differ much between the models.

the best ability to adjust color or
white balance?

This is where you will have to spend some money to get something good.
I have seen some brightview, xbrite (each company calls it different)
that claim to be good, but I found the highly reflective surface
disturbing.

contrast at 500 or better?

refresh at 20ms or better??

For Image Editing or Gaming? For Image Editing i can not see why you
need it fast.

--
----------------------------------
http://www.aguntherphotography.com

Old January 30th 05, 02:49 PM
Scott Schuckert

which has the sharpest images and text? the best ability to adjust color or
white balance? contrast at 500 or better? refresh at 20ms or better??

If you're looking for critical color, LCD is barking up the wrong tree.
A quality well-adjusted CRT beats ANY LCD easily. (Well, except for
bulk and energy consumption). For example, take a look into the LaCie
Electron Blue series. Sadly, the manufacturers are rapidly
discontinuing their CRT offerings; Sony just dropped their best model.

If you must have an LCD, the Apple Cinena Displays are generally
acknowledged to be the best. All except the top 30" model are easily
adaptable to PC's if needed.

The smallest they're making right now is a 20", but some 17's are still
in stores and they're plentiful on the used market.

I'm using a Cinema Diaplay this minute, but you know what? The Apple
17" Studio Display next to it (CRT, circa 1999) has better color. AND
faster refresh, and fully adjustable resolutions...

Old January 30th 05, 03:35 PM
rafe bustin

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 09:49:01 -0500, Scott Schuckert

[...]

The gap in quality between LCD and CRT is
narrowing rapidly. I can point you at some
gamut maps that indicate rather small
differences.

I know of a number of professionals who have
switched from CRT to LCD screens, though
you express the "conventional wisdom" of
the moment.

I've recently made the switch myself, and
find the LCD very pleasant to work with and
only marginally less accurate than the CRT
that it replaces. I'm profiling it with a
Gretag Eye-One.

There are measures where the LCD excels,
eg. brightness, uniformity, and sharpness.

Refresh rate is really a non-issue for still
image editing, because of the persistence
of LCD screens. Ie., absolutely no visible
flicker at 60 Hz refresh.

As for those gamut maps, see

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/gamut/

References to "mon 1-10" are a Samsung