Flying with cameras

Old January 6th 10, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Graham Harrison[_2_]

Default Flying with cameras

I've recently been using a Crumpler bag which I can get my camera body,
three lenses and a small laptop into as well as personal items. It travels
with me as hand baggage. I've never had a problem with size or weight.

Let's be pessimistic for a moment and assume that the security situation
worsens and we're restricted in the way that Canada/US flights have been
recently (e.g. no hand baggage to all intents and purposes). What to do
with the camera then?

Well, I could leave it behind and take a P and S. Not ideal.

How about buying a Pelli type case to protect it? Question then is do I
check it in or send it ahead by courier? And, what to do about insurance -
I guess I'd have to go to a broker because I suspect standard insurance
would not be sufficient.

Has anyone got and suggestions or experiences to share?

Old January 6th 10, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

"Graham Harrison" wrote:
Let's be pessimistic for a moment and assume that the security situation
worsens and we're restricted in the way that Canada/US flights have been
recently (e.g. no hand baggage to all intents and purposes). What to do
with the camera then?

Please see
"Sending luggage (with photo gear) ahead by FedEx cross-border"
in rec.photo.digital.

jue
Old January 6th 10, 09:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Graham Harrison[_2_]

"Jürgen Exner" wrote in message
"Graham Harrison" wrote:
Let's be pessimistic for a moment and assume that the security situation
worsens and we're restricted in the way that Canada/US flights have been
recently (e.g. no hand baggage to all intents and purposes). What to do
with the camera then?

Please see
"Sending luggage (with photo gear) ahead by FedEx cross-border"
in rec.photo.digital.

jue

Same question, I agree but no real answers.

Old January 8th 10, 01:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-01-06 12:42:48 -0800, "Graham Harrison"

"Graham Harrison" wrote:
Let's be pessimistic for a moment and assume that the security situation
worsens and we're restricted in the way that Canada/US flights have been
recently (e.g. no hand baggage to all intents and purposes). What to do
with the camera then?

Please see
"Sending luggage (with photo gear) ahead by FedEx cross-border"
in rec.photo.digital.

jue

Same question, I agree but no real answers.

I think the real solution for the Canadian-US flights is going to be
time. As I understand it, the Canadian TS authorities have imposed the
no-carryon rule as a manpower time saver. They are conducting pat down
searches for those flights, and rather than have extra staffing to
search carry on bags, they are just having them checked. I think that
will end soon.

Until there is some sort of normalization for Canadian-US flights I
think FedEx will be the solution.
....or travel to a border town, rent a car and drive.

My strangest recent travel experience was flying between Cape Town and
Johannesburg in South Africa. On domestic flights in SA you are limited
to 8kg for carry on bags. My carry on with clothes, D300, 3 lenses, and
batteries came in at 12.5kg, and they insisted I check the bag. I had
all my camera equipment in two Thinktank http://www.thinktankphoto.com/
pouches on one of their belts in my carry on bag. I pulled the belt out
of the bag and put it on. The carry on still weighed over 8 kg, so I
checked it, and they had no problem with me wearing the Thinktank belt
and pouches and carrying my laptop case.

Savageduck

Old January 8th 10, 08:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Father Kodak

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 16:53:36 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

My strangest recent travel experience was flying between Cape Town and
Johannesburg in South Africa. On domestic flights in SA you are limited
to 8kg for carry on bags. My carry on with clothes, D300, 3 lenses, and
batteries came in at 12.5kg, and they insisted I check the bag. I had
all my camera equipment in two Thinktank http://www.thinktankphoto.com/
pouches on one of their belts in my carry on bag. I pulled the belt out
of the bag and put it on.

Which ThinkTankPhoto pouches? I have the Speed Racer, and I can't
imagine that I would be allowed to "wear" it on the plane, without
having it counted as my "personal item."

In about a month, I'm supposed to fly to Canada from the USA. It
would be nice to carry on my photo gear, my laptop bag, and my
clothing bag.

Old January 8th 10, 10:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

My strangest recent travel experience was flying between Cape Town and
Johannesburg in South Africa. On domestic flights in SA you are limited
to 8kg for carry on bags. My carry on with clothes, D300, 3 lenses, and
batteries came in at 12.5kg, and they insisted I check the bag. I had
all my camera equipment in two Thinktank http://www.thinktankphoto.com/
pouches on one of their belts in my carry on bag. I pulled the belt out
of the bag and put it on.

Which ThinkTankPhoto pouches? I have the Speed Racer, and I can't
imagine that I would be allowed to "wear" it on the plane, without
having it counted as my "personal item."

In about a month, I'm supposed to fly to Canada from the USA. It
would be nice to carry on my photo gear, my laptop bag, and my
clothing bag.

I bought the 5 piece "Skin Set" + the "Thin Skin Belt". For the trip,
instead of taking a photo-bag, I packed all I took with me into the
"Skin Chimp Cage" and the "Skin 75 Pop-down" which were attached to the
belt. They were packed in my wheeled carry-on.

I think I surprised the check in desk staff when I just opened the
carry on, pulled out the belt + pouches and put it on. Their only
concern seemed to be the weight of the carry on bag. The South African
airport security seemed to accept that anything I ran through their
X-Ray was OK.

I seriously doubt that I would have got away with wearing that belt of
lenses and batteries any where other than South Africa, and there is
every likelihood I wouldn't get away with it there today, given the
current situation.
....and certainly not any US, Canadian, or European airport.

I am already considering other options for my next trip, which
fortunately is domestic not Canadian. I believe I can pack my carry on
with the same Thinktank system for domestic US or European travel, but
limit what else I pack in that bag.

For Canada, if things haven't become sensible, maybe a drive up through
Oregon and Washington, with a ferry ride from Port Angeles WA to
Victoria, BC would be something to consider in the Spring. No TSA and
no weird regulations to deal with.

Savageduck

Old January 10th 10, 06:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wally

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 18:43:48 -0000, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

I've recently been using a Crumpler bag which I can get my camera body,
three lenses and a small laptop into as well as personal items. It travels
with me as hand baggage. I've never had a problem with size or weight.

Let's be pessimistic for a moment and assume that the security situation
worsens and we're restricted in the way that Canada/US flights have been
recently (e.g. no hand baggage to all intents and purposes). What to do
with the camera then?

I went through on Jan. 8 and specifically asked about carrying a BIG
camera through (considering taking a Canon 40D with the 100-400mm
mounted.) Two security people said no problem. Cameras are an exeption
to the "no carry-on" rule. In two weeks I will actually be trying it.
Maybe I'll get my wife to take the spare body with the 17-55 mounted,
and then a couple more lenses can go in the checked luggage.

YMMV - the rules could change.

BTW, they were allowing small briefcases as long as there was a laptop
inside. Purses are allowed. Normal assorted items in the laptop
bag/purse were okay.

Wally
Old January 10th 10, 01:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Graham Harrison[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

That's helpful but I'm afraid you're missing the point. I wasn't asking
about the Canada/US situation specifically simply using it as an example.
Now, I accept that your experience suggests "they" are being sensible but
I'm afraid I can't help thinking that not every security person will be that
flexible.

Put yourself in a situation where you are banned from taking your camera
with lenses into the cabin with no exceptions. What do you do then?

Old January 10th 10, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wally

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 12:40:50 -0000, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

Put yourself in a situation where you are banned from taking your camera
with lenses into the cabin with no exceptions. What do you do then?

Those situations happen and can be very difficult. I heard about a
tuba player in the U.S. who was flying to a performance, and they
refused to take the tuba because it was over the weight limit. They
initially refused to consider accepting excess baggage fees. But he
HAD to take it, and NOW, or lose his job. Eventually they worked
something out - can't remember the details - but he got there, with
his horn - and it cost him money.

I'm pretty sure every situation is different. Just try to prepare as
best you can against different eventualities. Like, have addresses
ready if they refuse to let you take it, but offer to let you courier
it to somewhere. And alllow plenty of time.

Wally
Old January 10th 10, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

"Graham Harrison" wrote:
Put yourself in a situation where you are banned from taking your camera
with lenses into the cabin with no exceptions. What do you do then?

Take the train.

jue