How do I calibrate my photographic process

Old August 28th 04, 06:23 PM
Frank Pittel

Alexis Neel wrote:
: Notice the post below is NOT coming from Scarpitti but from Kodak.
: Just because he posted it doesn't make it his.

: Second, its from 1956. A lot has changed since then.

Even Kodaks position on controlling negative contrast through development time
has changed. That's why scarpitti has to cling to a book written in the 50's and
then contradicted by Kodak in later times. Even a book from Kodak that scarpitti
used to trumpet cites the advantage of altering development time to control
negative contrast. He also ignores the clear statements from that same book that
film should be developed with a level of contrast that gives the best print and
grade 2 paper.

A quote from the book Kodak Professional Black and White films (second printing
2000 page 24):

"If you photograph a scene with higher or lower contrast then the scene you used
for your ringaround, you can change the development time to adjust the contrast
so that the negative will print well on normal-contrast paper and provide
improved tonal reproduction.

: Just research conventional materials, then come back for more detailed
: and informative questions.

-------------------

Old August 28th 04, 07:53 PM
BertS

Morton Klotz wrote:

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 01:52:01 GMT, "Alan Smithee"
wrote:

Where do I start. I want to get a better grip on my whole photographic
process. How do I go about calibrating my camera, development and printing
process?

Read Ansel Adams' books, especially The Negative and The Print.

And, after reading that, read Beyond the Zone System by Phil Davis. Or perhaps
read this last one first then read the Adams books.

Both assume you can develop images individually or at least split your images
so you can give them individualized development by separating similar images
into different rolls of film.

Bert
Old August 29th 04, 01:19 AM
geo

"AlanSmithee" wrote in message
Sparpitti. Isn't he that eco-terrorist guy?

No that would be GW Bush.

Old August 29th 04, 02:02 AM
geo

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

Thank you for that quote. So pertinent today. Some things never change.

--
Look at the world today. Is there anything more pitiful? What madness there
is. What blindness. What unintelligent leadership. A scurrying mass of

Old August 29th 04, 11:14 PM
Michael Scarpitti

Frank Pittel wrote in message ...
Alexis Neel wrote:
: Notice the post below is NOT coming from Scarpitti but from Kodak.
: Just because he posted it doesn't make it his.

: Second, its from 1956. A lot has changed since then.

Even Kodaks position on controlling negative contrast through development time
has changed.

No, it has NOT.

That's why scarpitti has to cling to a book written in the 50's and
then contradicted by Kodak in later times.

The book 'The Negative' by Ansel Adams was written in 1949. That means
it's completely wrong, doesn't it? Many Zonazis cling to this old
book, which obviously is outdated, as is Minor White's book 'The Zone
System Manual', written in 1953 or so.

Even a book from Kodak that scarpitti
used to trumpet cites the advantage of altering development time to control
negative contrast. He also ignores the clear statements from that same book that
film should be developed with a level of contrast that gives the best print and
grade 2 paper.

For sheet film, that's correct. This book is primarily for sheet film
users, as is obvious from the cover photo and the descriptions of
technique in it. For 35mm, grade 3 is better, and many sources, old
and new, state this.