Need suggestion on camera for publishing magazine articles

Old September 30th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Default Need suggestion on camera for publishing magazine articles

sandy wrote:
I'm a newbie writer who would love to have some magazine articles
published. I was speaking with a publisher at a recent Writer's
Workshop and he asked me to, along with my article, submit photos of a
minimum 300 dpi at the published size (bigger the file, the better).

I do have several cameras but they are all older and of minimal
quality. My digital camera is just over 3 megapixels and I'm guessing
that it is entirely inadequate.

I'd love to get a new, higher resolution digital camera for this
purpose but have no clue as to what I should get or even if a digital
camera is the way to go. I also have not yet figured out how dpi and
megapixels relate to each other.

I'd be inclined to buy a Canon or Nikon DSLR in the used market unless
you have plenny dough. If you dig it, you can later trade up to a new
model.

At the digital capture and storage point, it's PPI, not DPI, so you
multiply the length by the width of the sensor to come up with the
square area of the sensor, then determine the density of the pixels
there on, then.....

I am kidding on the latter: Use the stated size the mfg. gives for the
highest quality JPEG, or RAW file. It'd be somewhere in the
neighborhood, and in the ratio of 2,000 x 3,000 pixels. I'm bad at math,
but if you muliply the two, you'll get the number of megapixels in that
hypothetical image. Then divide each side by 300 and you'll get your PPI
figure.

--
John McWilliams