Dollar Tree candles -- air fluff?

Old September 1st 08, 11:10 PM posted to alt.survival,misc.survivalism,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Stormin Mormon

Default Dollar Tree candles -- air fluff?

Is it just me, or do the candles in a jar seem a bit light weight. The ones
at Dollar Tree. Someday I'll remelt one, and see if the liquid level is much
lower, after remelting.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old September 2nd 08, 02:11 AM posted to alt.survival,misc.survivalism,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Stormin Mormon

News flash. I remelted one tonight (cinnamon apple candle in a jar) from
Dollar Tree, and it's not air fluff.

Might have been the candle without the jar that was air fluff. I cut into it
for some reason, and the wax inside looked like it may have had some air
mixed in. Anyhow, I'll try a different candle to remelt, maybe.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old September 2nd 08, 05:28 AM posted to alt.survival,misc.survivalism,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Jerry[_4_]

You won't be able to tell anything by just looking at it. Get a scale and
weigh the jar and the candle materials.

.

Old September 2nd 08, 01:28 PM posted to alt.survival,misc.survivalism,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Stormin Mormon

Too many variables. I'm not sure what is the density of paraffin. Or how
thick is the glass. I did think of that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

. ..

Old September 21st 08, 03:51 AM posted to alt.survival,misc.survivalism,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Stormin Mormon

Lead, used to stiffen the candle wicks. I've heard the same thing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"dejure" wrote in message

Just a heads up on an unverified assertion: It is said that the
petrol/paraffin based candles produce toxic smoke containing, among
other things, lead. Of course, in time of hardship that may not be an
issue.

Old September 27th 08, 08:33 PM posted to alt.survival,misc.survivalism,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mitch Dickson

"dejure" wrote in message

Just a heads up on an unverified assertion: It is said that the
petrol/paraffin based candles produce toxic smoke containing, among
other things, lead. Of course, in time of hardship that may not be an
issue.

ROTFLMAO! I have sat at a bench breathing lead and tin fumes 8 hours a day
from solder since 1979. I am still here

My old granny used to say "Son, you will hear everything around here except
good ham a fryin' ".

Tell you what, why not just sit in the dark?

Mitch

Old September 27th 08, 09:51 PM posted to alt.survival,misc.survivalism,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Karsten Kruse

Mitch Dickson schrieb:

Just a heads up on an unverified assertion: It is said that the
petrol/paraffin based candles produce toxic smoke containing, among
other things, lead. Of course, in time of hardship that may not be an
issue.

ROTFLMAO! I have sat at a bench breathing lead and tin fumes 8 hours a day
from solder since 1979. I am still here

So, you say lead isn't toxic? Somehow i don't think you are serious.

Karsten

--
Nothing is easier than to denounce the evildoer;
nothing is more difficult than to understand him.
Old September 28th 08, 01:29 AM posted to alt.survival,misc.survivalism,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank Gilliland

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 22:51:21 +0200, Karsten Kruse
wrote in :

Mitch Dickson schrieb:

Just a heads up on an unverified assertion: It is said that the
petrol/paraffin based candles produce toxic smoke containing, among
other things, lead. Of course, in time of hardship that may not be an
issue.

ROTFLMAO! I have sat at a bench breathing lead and tin fumes 8 hours a day
from solder since 1979. I am still here

So, you say lead isn't toxic? Somehow i don't think you are serious.

Lead doesn't vaporize easily. I've been soldering since I was a kid
and never had a problem. I probably got more lead in my system by the
direct contact of handling the solder than by breathing the fumes, and
even then it wasn't enough to make me sick (there are very specific
symptoms of chronic lead poisoning).

The assertion of lead being present in "petrol/paraffin based candles"
sounds like a rumor based on the fact that tetra-ethyl lead was once
used in gasoline, another petro product. But the TEL was added to the
gasoline -after- refinement and there's no reason to believe it was
ever added to paraffin. It may also stem from the the word 'paraffin'
being used differently in other countries. There is also a possibility
that lead compounds were once used as pigments in paraffin just as
they were used in paint, but I doubt that's the case today -- unless
you buy imported Chinese candles at Wal-Mart.

And seriously, I've never heard of lead wire -- or any other kind of
wire -- being used in candle wicks. If there was then I've never seen
one.

Old September 28th 08, 05:46 PM posted to alt.survival,misc.survivalism,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mitch Dickson

"Karsten Kruse" wrote in message
Mitch Dickson schrieb:

Just a heads up on an unverified assertion: It is said that the
petrol/paraffin based candles produce toxic smoke containing, among
other things, lead. Of course, in time of hardship that may not be an
issue.

ROTFLMAO! I have sat at a bench breathing lead and tin fumes 8 hours a

day
from solder since 1979. I am still here

So, you say lead isn't toxic? Somehow i don't think you are serious.

Karsten

I am saying that I have sat over the top of lead fumes for 3 decades with no
ill effects. Worring about a candle is not a concern But you go ahead
and sit in the dark.

Mitch

Old September 28th 08, 07:35 PM posted to alt.survival,misc.survivalism,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Gunner Asch

wrote:

Mitch Dickson schrieb:

Just a heads up on an unverified assertion: It is said that the
petrol/paraffin based candles produce toxic smoke containing, among
other things, lead. Of course, in time of hardship that may not be an
issue.

ROTFLMAO! I have sat at a bench breathing lead and tin fumes 8 hours a day
from solder since 1979. I am still here

So, you say lead isn't toxic? Somehow i don't think you are serious.

Karsten

Son..water is toxic.

It all depends on just how much it takes to kill you.

A quart of water will kill you dead
..0001microgram of Ricin will do the same.

Think..think before you post

I know that its hard for you..but give it the old college try.

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies
and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich