Canon vs Nikon - Which One

Old August 28th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

Default Canon vs Nikon - Which One

We all know that the Digital Rebel XSi has an edge on the very fine
Nikon D60.

And the Nikon D300 (for a big wad of cash) has an edge on the Canon 40D.

And nobody knows how th3 Nikon D700 will compare against the Canon
5DMKII (or whatever they will call it)

But how do you think the new Nikon D90 Will share out against the Canon 50D.

And how will the new Canon 18-200 compare agaqinst Nikon 18-200.

It should be interesting reading reviews in the upcoming months.
Old August 28th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

measekite boyhowdy wrote:
We all know that the Digital Rebel XSi has an edge on the very fine
Nikon D60.

No we don't.

--
Ray Fischer

Old August 28th 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

measekite wrote:
We all know that the Digital Rebel XSi has an edge on the very fine
Nikon D60.

And the Nikon D300 (for a big wad of cash) has an edge on the Canon 40D.

And nobody knows how th3 Nikon D700 will compare against the Canon
5DMKII (or whatever they will call it)

But how do you think the new Nikon D90 Will share out against the Canon
50D.

In your pocket you probably have a binary decision making tool.

Flip it.

Facetious? Yeah, maybe. But you should be looking to build a system
for the long term (20 years, say). So the body-du-jour is not of much
consequence.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old August 28th 08, 10:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug Jewell[_3_]

measekite wrote:
We all know that the Digital Rebel XSi has an edge on the very fine
Nikon D60.

And the Nikon D300 (for a big wad of cash) has an edge on the Canon 40D.

And nobody knows how th3 Nikon D700 will compare against the Canon
5DMKII (or whatever they will call it)

But how do you think the new Nikon D90 Will share out against the Canon
50D.

And how will the new Canon 18-200 compare agaqinst Nikon 18-200.
It should be interesting reading reviews in the upcoming months.

Put it this way - regardless of which brand you buy, it
won't be long and then there will be a camera from the other
brand which will be better, and you'll be tempted to say "i
wish I bought xxxx instead". But then the brand you bought
will have a new model and you'll say "I'm glad I bought xxxx".
Then there's the Sony and Pentax offerings, which arguably
offer better features for the money than the Nikon & Canon
cameras.
I'd suggest have a hands-on with as many cameras as you can
and make your choice that way. At the end of the day, every
DSLR on the market today is bloody good - the differences
are splitting hairs. Use them and get a feel of which seems
to be the nicest for you to use, and purchase according to that.
Old August 28th 08, 11:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris H

In message
, Doug
Jewell writes
measekite wrote:
We all know that the Digital Rebel XSi has an edge on the very fine
Nikon D60.
And the Nikon D300 (for a big wad of cash) has an edge on the Canon
40D.
And nobody knows how th3 Nikon D700 will compare against the Canon
5DMKII (or whatever they will call it)
But how do you think the new Nikon D90 Will share out against the
Canon 50D.
And how will the new Canon 18-200 compare agaqinst Nikon 18-200.
It should be interesting reading reviews in the upcoming months.

Put it this way - regardless of which brand you buy, it won't be long
and then there will be a camera from the other brand which will be
better,

Yes. Very true. Canon was the lead one a while back now the impetus is
with Nikon and in a year or so it will be back with Canon

and you'll be tempted to say "i wish I bought xxxx instead". But then
the brand you bought will have a new model and you'll say "I'm glad I
bought xxxx".

:-) The trick is to realise both Canon and Nikon are equal but out of
phase by 6/12 months. Besides what does it matter? BOTH Nikon and
Canon will bring out a better replacement camera than the one you bought
in the next 6-18 months anyway.

When Nikon dropped the D70s I had did the D70s suddenly loose its
specification or functionality? No. It is still as god as it was when it
was launched. A damned good camera. It is just consumer envy/greed that
wants you to "get the latest"

Then there's the Sony and Pentax offerings, which arguably offer better
features for the money than the Nikon & Canon cameras.

Heretic!!! That is not true or God would not be using a Nikon! :-)

I'd suggest have a hands-on with as many cameras as you can and make
your choice that way.

It does not matter how good (the specification of) the Camera is if you
don't like the handling and the controls.

At the end of the day, every DSLR on the market today is bloody good -
the differences are splitting hairs. Use them and get a feel of which
seems to be the nicest for you to use, and purchase according to that.

This is true... except Nikon are the best which is why god uses them :-)

There are many people using Sony, Pentax Fuji etc who are very happy
with the results and unless you are a pro who is spending lots of money
needs all sorts of ancillary things almost any of the top makes will
suffice.

Old August 28th 08, 01:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave[_27_]

Doug Jewell wrote:
measekite wrote:
[...]

On thing to consider is that 3rd partly lenses are always available in
Canon and Nikon fit, but the range is much more limited for other makes
of cameras. Hence that is a good practical reason to chose Canon or
Nikon and not Pentax or some other lesser makes. If you buy a cheaper
(i.e. not Nikon or Canon) you are more likely to want to buy cheaper
(i.e. 3rd party) lenses.

I always liked the concept of the Tamron Adaptal system, which was nice
for me as I changed from Practica M42 to Nikon, but I've since sold all
my Tamron lenses. But I think Tamron have abandoned that now, so if you
buy a new lens you have to order to fit a Nikon, Canon or whatever.

I've got Nikon myself, but as you say, both Nikon and Canon are very
good, and clearly share the top spot for a while. Neither is
consistently better than the other.

If someone asked me what DSLR to get, I would also say choose a Nikon or
Canon for the reason of lens availability. For a point and shoot, I
would consider the cameras on their merits more, with less regard to who
made them.
Old August 28th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Böwser

"Rita Berkowitz" wrote in message
m...
measekite wrote:

And how will the new Canon 18-200 compare agaqinst Nikon 18-200.

I'm sure it will do just as fine. I never thought Canon would be dumb
enough to build such a monstrosity, but I guess they felt left out that
Nikon was trying to steal the title from them for building the crappiest
lens ever.

Well, for me, the old 43-86 push/pull zoom was the worst zoom I've ever
used. Utterly horrible, and an incredibly popular lens from the slide rule
days.

Old August 28th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Böwser

"measekite" wrote in message
We all know that the Digital Rebel XSi has an edge on the very fine Nikon
D60.

It does?

And the Nikon D300 (for a big wad of cash) has an edge on the Canon 40D.

Yes, and it's more expensive, as well, as you say.

And nobody knows how th3 Nikon D700 will compare against the Canon 5DMKII
(or whatever they will call it)

Based on the quantity of rumors that existed prior to each release, the edge
goes to the 5D II. (....sigh....)

But how do you think the new Nikon D90 Will share out against the Canon
50D.

All I can tell right now is that the D90 is a little smaller. I think we
need to see if Canon's 'gapless microlens' technology really can help. If it
does, well... Let's wait for the test images.

And how will the new Canon 18-200 compare agaqinst Nikon 18-200.

Both will suck. Nikon's may suck a little less since it's an AF-S lens, and
the Canon uses a micromotor for focusing (geez, why?). But I believe
suckitude will reign here.

Old August 28th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
measekite wrote:

And how will the new Canon 18-200 compare agaqinst Nikon 18-200.

I'm sure it will do just as fine. I never thought Canon would be dumb
enough to build such a monstrosity, but I guess they felt left out
that Nikon was trying to steal the title from them for building the
crappiest lens ever.

Rita

And just how crappy and why do you think the Nikkor 18-200 lens is.
Remember it is for the APC sensor.
Old August 28th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

Doug Jewell wrote:
measekite wrote:
[...]

Maybe but I think that Digital SLRs will mature to the same point as
their film predecessors. When that happen you will find much more time
between models and the newer cameras will settle for being evolutionary
instead of revolutionary.