film quality for different speeds

Old December 4th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
H.S.[_2_]

Default film quality for different speeds

Hello,

I recall lower ISO speed films were considered to be less grainy, and
also that the improvement in film technology was reducing that
graininess with time.

I have an old Canon Sure Shot Classic 120 35mm camera and I am thinking
of playing with it in the coming few weeks -- with negative as well as
with slide film. Due to its smaller aperture, a higher speed film is
recommended (200 or 400).

Any feedback on how good are 400 and 800 ISO films now a days in
graininess as compared to ISO 100? Which films would you recommend.BTW,
this is not for professional photos, but I also don't want the lower end
of consumer films either.

thanks,
-HS
Old December 4th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Dec 4, 5:30 pm, "H.S." wrote:
Hello,

I recall lower ISO speed films were considered to be less grainy, and
also that the improvement in film technology was reducing that
graininess with time.

I have an old Canon Sure Shot Classic 120 35mm camera and I am thinking
of playing with it in the coming few weeks -- with negative as well as
with slide film. Due to its smaller aperture, a higher speed film is
recommended (200 or 400).

Any feedback on how good are 400 and 800 ISO films now a days in
graininess as compared to ISO 100? Which films would you recommend.BTW,
this is not for professional photos, but I also don't want the lower end
of consumer films either.

thanks,
-HS

Do you want to use black and white or color film?

It's hard to come by, here anyways, but 400-speed Portra films are
great.
Fuji Reala 400 is a decent film as well.
For b&w, Ilford Delta 400 professional has silky smooth tonal range
and ultra-fine grain.
I know you mentioned they are not for professional use, but you do
want great quality pics.
Helen
Old December 4th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Dec 4, 6:00 pm, "H.S." wrote:
wrote:

Do you want to use black and white or color film?

Color. Sorry I missed that.

It's hard to come by, here anyways, but 400-speed Portra films are
great.
Fuji Reala 400 is a decent film as well.
For b&w, Ilford Delta 400 professional has silky smooth tonal range
and ultra-fine grain.
I know you mentioned they are not for professional use, but you do
want great quality pics.

Yes! Thanks.

-HS Helen

There are many more knowledgable than I on this group, but I was
always pleased with the results using the films I suggested.
Old December 6th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Daniel Rocha[_4_]

wrote:
Fuji Reala 400 is a decent film as well.

Reala is a 100 ISO film, only !
I love it for the color rendition

--
Photographie
http://www.monochromatique.com

Old December 7th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Dec 6, 2:47 pm, "Daniel Rocha" wrote:
wrote:
Fuji Reala 400 is a decent film as well.

Reala is a 100 ISO film, only !
I love it for the color rendition

--
Photographie http://www.monochromatique.com

Yeah, sorry about that. The film I'm thinking about is Fuji Superia X-
TRA. Merci beaucoup Daniel.
Helen
Old December 7th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

On Dec 6, 2:47 pm, "Daniel Rocha" wrote:

Reala is a 100 ISO film, only !
I love it for the color rendition

Dude, did you just say what I think you said?
There may be hope for you after all, Rocha!
Old December 16th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alvaro[_2_]

Lovely colors film

Old December 4th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Martin Riddle

"H.S." wrote in message -Free...

Hello,

I recall lower ISO speed films were considered to be less grainy, and
also that the improvement in film technology was reducing that
graininess with time.

I have an old Canon Sure Shot Classic 120 35mm camera and I am thinking
of playing with it in the coming few weeks -- with negative as well as
with slide film. Due to its smaller aperture, a higher speed film is
recommended (200 or 400).

Any feedback on how good are 400 and 800 ISO films now a days in
graininess as compared to ISO 100? Which films would you recommend.BTW,
this is not for professional photos, but I also don't want the lower end
of consumer films either.

thanks,
-HS

For 400 speed film I think you would be happy with Kodak Portra 400NC or 400VC.
These give very good skin tones. I havnt tried the 800.

Cheers

Old December 5th 07, 09:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson

"H.S." wrote:

Hello,

I recall lower ISO speed films were considered to be less grainy, and
also that the improvement in film technology was reducing that
graininess with time.

I have an old Canon Sure Shot Classic 120 35mm camera and I am thinking
of playing with it in the coming few weeks -- with negative as well as
with slide film. Due to its smaller aperture, a higher speed film is
recommended (200 or 400).

Any feedback on how good are 400 and 800 ISO films now a days in
graininess as compared to ISO 100? Which films would you recommend.BTW,
this is not for professional photos, but I also don't want the lower end
of consumer films either.

For ISO 400 print film, try Fujicolor Pro 400H which is no more grainy
than a typical ISO 100 emulsion of five years ago. If you absolutely
*must* have an ISO 800 film, there is Fujicolor Pro 800Z, but it is
more grainy and less saturated than 400H.

If you have difficulty obtaining these professional colour print
films, you will also get good results with Fujicolor Superia Extra 400
and 800 which are more consumer oriented.

I would not recommend slide film for your camera, because its light
metering is set up for print film, however with the right camera,
Fujichrome Provia 400X is an exceptionally good ISO 400 slide film
which is no more grainy than a typical ISO 100 slide film of five
years ago.

The mass move to digital has blinded many people to the significant
improvements in abilities of modern films.