DL in the field

Old February 16th 11, 07:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Justice

Default DL in the field

I just (finally) got my first digital camera (Canon 1D M4) (!). (I sell my
images to
magazines and as prints at art fairs and galleries.) I can record 44 GB on
my 3 compact flash disks. (I just shoot raw: ~25 MB files). That's fine
for local shooting, but on a road trip, I'll need more space. (I once took
28 rolls of film in one day = 1k images. Digital promises the possibility
of many more.) I'd like reccommendations on what else I need to buy.

Minimum requirement is just downloading to a larger disk, or more CF cards.
Ideally, I could also review the images that day, back at the motel or
campground (a 3" LCD is only so good, although I also need some experience
to see how much I can rely on it.) to see if I
need to reshoot some. For that, I assume I need a notebook. Or is there
something cheaper that will just allow image review? Other options?

--
Alan Justice
http://home.earthlink.net/~wildlifepaparazzi/

Old February 16th 11, 12:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-02-15 23:35:09 -0800, "Alan Justice" said:

[...]

Different folks here are going to have different opinions & proposals.
Just remember the only one which is going to work is the one you
actually use, and is simple for you to use.
Here is my suggestion, there will be others, your job will be to sort
through everything your post provokes.

First, it sounds as if you bought three 16GB CF cards, memory is
relatively cheap. Just as you carried extra film carry extra CF cards.

Since your shots represent income, establish a back-up protocol. Think
redundant back-up.

I use a 250GB ColorSpace UDMA for back-up when on the road. it can be
used in the field, car, camp, and/or back at hotel room. They are
available in capacities of up to 750GB.
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-...-UDMA-s/64.htm

Then as soon as possible copy to a portable USB/Firewire Hard Drive via
a laptop, or desktop if you are returning to your work base. These are
inexpensive and will establish a second redundant leg to the back-up
protocol.

Do not erase or reformat the CF Cards until you have a minimum of two
redundant legs to your copy protocol, unless you have no other option
other than a field copy to the Colorspace UDMA.

Then develop a protocol for archiving. I would consider some additional
outboard Hard Drive, possibly a RAID system for your primary work
computer.

....er, buy more CF memory.

Savageduck

Old February 16th 11, 04:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Justice

On 2011-02-15 23:35:09 -0800, "Alan Justice"

said:

[...]

I've got a start on home backup, as I have been scanning my slides (and I
needed it once). External 250 GB Maxtor. Backup is simple, but setting it
up was not. But now that won't be enough. I guess I'll need another hard
drive and another backup device.

The Colorspace looks simple enough. I would not use it for reviewing images
while on a road trip, as the screen is about the same size as on the camera.
And I doubt it could display the raw files anyway (even the software for the
Canon 1D M3 cannot display the files from the M4, even though they are both
..CR2 files). But it's cheaper than buying that much space in CF cards (I
paid $140 for 32 GB, the Colorspace is $400 for 250). But I think I may
need to buy a laptop for backup in the field (i.e., back at the motel) with
a portable backup drive. Having 2 copies before clearing the CF card is a
good idea.

Thanks for your comments.

Old February 16th 11, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-02-15 23:35:09 -0800, "Alan Justice"

said:

[...]

Good idea.
Consider your own calculation based of a load of 44GB (that is an awful
lot of shooting!) Even if you use 20GB of space per trip, just 10 such
trips is going to strain that 250GB dive to the limit.
I like OtherWorld Computing products. Their support is good and they
provide software for backup. I have several of their Mercury On-The-Go
Pro portable hard drives of various capacities.
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go
and I have one their 3TB RAID-1 set ups. They have quite a selection
of reasonably priced RAID-1 options;
http://eshop.macsales.com/owcpages/g...nmax_mini.html
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/usb/raid_1/Gmax

The Colorspace looks simple enough. I would not use it for reviewing images
while on a road trip, as the screen is about the same size as on the camera.
And I doubt it could display the raw files anyway (even the software for the
Canon 1D M3 cannot display the files from the M4, even though they are both
.CR2 files). But it's cheaper than buying that much space in CF cards (I
paid $140 for 32 GB, the Colorspace is $400 for 250). But I think I may
need to buy a laptop for backup in the field (i.e., back at the motel) with
a portable backup drive. Having 2 copies before clearing the CF card is a
good idea.

The Colorspace UDMA handles RAW files just fine. I can use it for my
Nikon NEF files and my Canon G11 CR2's without any issue. Each
subsequent save is incremental so back-ups are relatively quick. When
mounted to a laptop, or desktop computer it behaves as any mounted hard
drive would.

For the road a laptop is going to be a must.

Thanks for your comments.

Savageduck

Old February 16th 11, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"Alan Justice" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Be able to charge your camera's, (and laptop's) batteries from your car
cigarette lighter as you go.

Old February 16th 11, 09:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-02-16 13:03:18 -0800, "Bill Graham" said:

Le Snip

Be able to charge your camera's, (and laptop's) batteries from your car
cigarette lighter as you go.

Got that covered Bill.
http://us.kensington.com/html/17163.html

Savageduck

Old February 16th 11, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

On 2011-02-16 13:03:18 -0800, "Bill Graham" said:

Le Snip

Be able to charge your camera's, (and laptop's) batteries from your
car cigarette lighter as you go.

Got that covered Bill.
http://us.kensington.com/html/17163.html

Looks like a good device. I try to buy 12 volt devices, but I was worried
about the fact that a car alternator delivers over 14 volts for charging the
battery at times, so I purchased a device that will operate on anything from
9 to 16 volts, and regulate it down to exactly 12 volts. It cost about $30,
but I used it as a buffer between my car and my camera. I didn't want to
risk smoking a $2000 camera with an overvoltage from the cheap electronics
in a car....

Old February 17th 11, 04:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 14:34:28 -0800, "Bill Graham"

On 2011-02-16 13:03:18 -0800, "Bill Graham" said:

Le Snip

Be able to charge your camera's, (and laptop's) batteries from your
car cigarette lighter as you go.

Got that covered Bill.
http://us.kensington.com/html/17163.html

Looks like a good device. I try to buy 12 volt devices, but I was worried
about the fact that a car alternator delivers over 14 volts for charging the
battery at times, so I purchased a device that will operate on anything from
9 to 16 volts, and regulate it down to exactly 12 volts. It cost about $30,
but I used it as a buffer between my car and my camera. I didn't want to
risk smoking a $2000 camera with an overvoltage from the cheap electronics
in a car....

Its not cheap electronics. Its the way that a lead-acid cell works.
12V is only a nominal voltage.
Old February 17th 11, 11:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

On 2011-02-16 13:03:18 -0800, "Bill Graham" said:

Le Snip

Be able to charge your camera's, (and laptop's) batteries from your
car cigarette lighter as you go.

Got that covered Bill.
http://us.kensington.com/html/17163.html

Looks like a good device. I try to buy 12 volt devices, but I was
worried about the fact that a car alternator delivers over 14 volts
for charging the battery at times, so I purchased a device that will
operate on anything from 9 to 16 volts, and regulate it down to
exactly 12 volts. It cost about $30, but I used it as a buffer
between my car and my camera. I didn't want to risk smoking a $2000
camera with an overvoltage from the cheap electronics in a car....

Its not cheap electronics. Its the way that a lead-acid cell works.
12V is only a nominal voltage.

Thats true. I shouldn't have used, "cheap". What I really meant is that the
cars electrical system wasn't made for delicate & precise equipment like
cameras and computers, so I buffered it with a regulated power supply
module.

Old February 18th 11, 03:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

On 2011-02-16 13:03:18 -0800, "Bill Graham" said:

Le Snip

Be able to charge your camera's, (and laptop's) batteries from your
car cigarette lighter as you go.

Got that covered Bill.
http://us.kensington.com/html/17163.html

Looks like a good device. I try to buy 12 volt devices, but I was
worried about the fact that a car alternator delivers over 14 volts for
charging the battery at times, so I purchased a device that will operate
on anything from 9 to 16 volts, and regulate it down to exactly 12
volts. It cost about $30, but I used it as a buffer between my car and
my camera. I didn't want to risk smoking a $2000 camera with an
overvoltage from the cheap electronics in a car....

I haven't had any problem with working off a pair of car batteries in my
camper van with an inverter to 120v. Perhaps that device regulates the
voltage? It's kind of wasteful because the laptop takes something less
than 120v ... I thought something like 9v, but each device is different
and presumably pretty picky. The camera battery chargers all use 120 so
that's at least only one layer deep in conversion.