I've got a 30mp digital camera

Old November 7th 07, 08:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Adams

Default I've got a 30mp digital camera

HankB wrote:

All that education and you confuse pixel count with image quality?

I'm a bit rusty, also, I read a website a few years back that claimed
you would need 50mp to match 35mm film quality. Now that I have read
some of the links provided I need to get me one of those Canon EOS 5D's.
The point and shoot cameras are still inferior to 35mm film going by
what I read because they don't have large enough cmos sensors.
Old November 7th 07, 08:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Adams

frederick wrote:

You've got a thread running with over 40 posts up as I type this, and
all based on the implied premise of "film vs digital" - a debate which
should have died years ago.

Well, it's not ready to die quite yet because you need a top end DSLR to
beat or match 35mm film. When the P&S cameras can beat film then it will
be time to put the argument to bed. But I will concede defeat and admit
I have been shown the errors of my ways. It's not fully my fault as
there is lots of misinformation out there. A camera buff website I read
a few years back claimed you would need about a 50mp camera to beat or
match 35mm film.
Old November 7th 07, 08:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Adams

Charlie Self wrote:

By the way, most magazines use a 150 screen, effectively way below 300
DPI. Scan a page and check it out.

Isn't that LPI and not DPI? I haven't worked in printing for a long time
but I seem to remember scans were done at 300dpi in general. But we
did higher quality work than magazines too.
Old November 7th 07, 08:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Adams

Scott W wrote:

Interesting thread, seems John got conned into believing that scanned
film would beat any digital my a fellow on the scanner news group.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.periphs.scanner/browse_frm/thread/57580e7fcb3509b8/5df0f5bdaa152919

Once he got looking at some of the links in this thread he has seen the
truth, film sucks.

Scott

Yep, it's all his fault for misinforming me. I started this thread as
more of a joke though. Really.

I bought the scanner to scan in some old slides from the 60's. I haven't
even used my film camera for about 4 years or so. I do need to upgrade
from my 2.1mp Olympus though.
Old November 7th 07, 09:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Serge Desplanques

On 2007-11-07 01:05:33 -0700, John Adams said:

frederick wrote:

You've got a thread running with over 40 posts up as I type this, and
all based on the implied premise of "film vs digital" - a debate which
should have died years ago.

Well, it's not ready to die quite yet because you need a top end DSLR
to beat or match 35mm film. When the P&S cameras can beat film then it
will be time to put the argument to bed. But I will concede defeat and
admit I have been shown the errors of my ways. It's not fully my fault
as there is lots of misinformation out there. A camera buff website I
read a few years back claimed you would need about a 50mp camera to
beat or match 35mm film.

hardly 'top emd'...when it comes to digital I am no expert (fortunately
in this case expertise is not a requirement, only typing skills and
internet access)...even those with a mid-range or 'prosumer' DSLR and a
modicum of understanding can produce technical quality that would have
required medium format film ten years ago...35 mm format has always
been about cutting loose from the tether of bulk and weight while
maintaining an acceptable level of quality...imagine Oskar Barnack
looking at his first efforts on adapted cine film and proclaiming
'doesn't look good enough when enlarged to 240 cm x 360 cm' and
scrapping the Ur-Leica...no one who required the image quality of sheet
film traded the studio camera for a digital SLR...might have bought a
KODAK DCS for experimentation or some other reason but they were more
likely to get one of these~
http://www.betterlight.com/products4X5.html
~we had one, made by LEAF, and where we had previously banged off a few
Polaroids to review in the planning stages before exposing any 8 x 10
film, we could now look at output on a monitor before final
capture...quite bizarre at times, with video crew shooting still photog
while she shot the video crew, bored model grazing the hors d'oeuvres...

Old November 7th 07, 11:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charlie Self

On Nov 7, 3:14 am, John Adams wrote:
Charlie Self wrote:

By the way, most magazines use a 150 screen, effectively way below 300
DPI. Scan a page and check it out.

Isn't that LPI and not DPI? I haven't worked in printing for a long time
but I seem to remember scans were done at 300dpi in general. But we
did higher quality work than magazines too.

"The Benday Dots printing process, named after illustrator and printer
Benjamin Day, is similar to Pointillism. Depending on the effect,
color and optical illusion needed, small colored dots are closely-
spaced, widely-spaced or overlapping. Magenta dots, for example, are
widely-spaced to create pink. 1950s and 1960s pulp comic books used
Benday dots in the four process colors (cyan, magenta, yellow and
black) to inexpensively create shading and secondary colors such as
green, purple, orange and flesh tones."

LPI is basically a different type of measurement.

Editors want 300 DPI shots, but that is to allow for cropping and
positioning.

You did higher quality work than what magazines? Arizona Higways?

Old November 7th 07, 11:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 08:22:27 GMT, John Adams wrote:

wrote:

Somebody ought to jap slap the stupidity right out of you.

What's a "jap" slap? You racist bigot.

Are you REALLY this stupid or are you just trying to troll up some
interest?

I trolled you and trolled you good. Now go back to bed.

Plonk