cheap lights, cheap setup..

Old March 13th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default cheap lights, cheap setup..

*** Also posted in comp.graphics.photoshop and alt.graphics.photoshop
Sorry for the cross post, I hit send and forgot this newsgroup

I am looking to get some lights for doing some close up (macro pics),
nothing extreme just close ups of small objects. Are there some cheap
lights that I can purchase that are pure white or closer to white then
standard light bulbs...

What about the light bulbs called "Pure White" has anyone tried those?

Does anyone have a link that describes how to setup a cheap light box to
minimize shadows on objects?

Thanks.
Old March 13th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

tomm42 wrote:

This whole setup shouldn't cost more than $100 total. If you need
framework for your tent use white wire coat hangers.

Tom

Thanks for the reply!
Old March 13th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

systmster wrote:

*** Also posted in comp.graphics.photoshop and alt.graphics.photoshop
Sorry for the cross post, I hit send and forgot this newsgroup

This isn't a cross post; it's a multi-post. The thread has already begun
in c.g.a.photoshop. Very good reply by Hunt.One also doesn't need to
send a thankyou note in usenet, no matter what your Mum told you.

--
John McWilliams
Old March 13th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

You can do it cheaper. Before I got strobes and a shooting box I used a
couple battery powered slave flashes....useful lots of places....and a
frosted shower curtain from the local dollar store. It worked well.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

Old March 13th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Make a small tent of net curtain material and shine a couple of tungsten
reflector spotlights onto it, the net diffuses the light very well indeed
and you can adjust it very easily, into layers or folds.

Jem

-------------------------------------
Birmingham Independent Photographers
http://bip.wikispaces.com/

Old March 13th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article HHjRf.1201$Vb.491@trndny01, Gene Palmiter
wrote:

I used a
couple battery powered slave flashes....useful lots of places

I still use a battery-powered slave flash. Much better than a single
on-camera flash in almost all situations. The problem is having a slave
to hold it where you need it. :-

Old March 14th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

systmster wrote:

I am looking to get some lights for doing some close up (macro pics),
nothing extreme just close ups of small objects. Are there some cheap
lights that I can purchase that are pure white or closer to white then
standard light bulbs...

I use cheap Aluminum clamp on shop lights (about 4-6 bucks US) with
5000k compact flourescents (about 5-7 bucks US) pick up as many as you
need. You may have to search hard for the color temp on the bulb
packages or on the bases themselves, not all will show temp but those
that do generally have a 5000k version. "Daylight" bulbs can be
anywhere from 3700k to 6300k or so, so read the packages carefully.

Old March 14th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

To do macro photography well, the more light the better. Keeps you
camera shutter speed up and gets you sharper pics. I used to shoot with
a 4x5 and 2-3 1000 watt tungsten lamps. The more light the more control
you have.

Tom