Film development assistance needed

Old April 5th 04, 02:41 AM

Default Film development assistance needed

Someone gave me a roll of film which they pulled from an old camera. It is
rolled around the take up reel and ready to be processed. I have no idea
what it is.

The following information is on the roll:

HIER
___
KMIOKEN

Exponiert

D - 12

6 1/2 x 11

The film is 2 3/4 wide.
I'm assuming because of the age, it's black and white.

Ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks
Phil

Old April 5th 04, 04:11 AM
Peter Irwin

wrote:
Someone gave me a roll of film which they pulled from an old camera. It is
rolled around the take up reel and ready to be processed. I have no idea
what it is.

The following information is on the roll:

Exponiert - Exposed

D - 12 - I think this is the film size = long roll 116..

6 1/2 x 11 - Also indicates size 116.

The following is just my guessing and shouldn't be taken
any sort of firm knowledge on my part:

The film is German. It is probably from the 1920s. Kodak changed
116 film from six exposures to eight in 1932 and I'm pretty sure
the others followed soon after that. If I'm interpreting D-12
correctly it is a double length version of D-6 which was the
German Agfa name for 116 film. If so, the film will be about
4 1/4 feet long and may not fit all 116 reels for developing
tanks. There shouldn't be any trouble with short roll 70mm reels
though.

The film is probably ortho, which would allow you to develop
by inspection under a Kodak #2 safelight. But if you don't know
for sure it isn't a good risk. I have no information on how long
the development should be, but it would almost certainly be
somewhat longer than any modern film.

It is possible that the film will identify itself on the front
end of the backing paper. If you have a #2 safelight (I have
sometimes used a mini flashlight with a #25 gel filter aimed
at the wall as a substitute which seems to work safely) then
if the film does not identify itself as panchromatic, you can
feel pretty confident about inspecting the film during development.

Peter.

Old April 6th 04, 01:27 AM
Peter Irwin

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
"Peter Irwin" wrote
wrote:
Someone gave me a roll of film
The following information is on the roll:
Exponiert - Exposed
D - 12 - I think this is the film size = long roll 116..
6 1/2 x 11 - Also indicates size 116.

The film is German. It is probably from the 1920s. Kodak changed
116 film from six exposures to eight in 1932 and I'm pretty sure
the others followed soon after that. If I'm interpreting D-12
correctly it is a double length version of D-6 which was the
German Agfa name for 116 film. [Ortho, 1920's ???]

FWIW (every pfennig you paid) Kodak stopped making 116 in 1984
though I have no idea of when it was discontinued in Germany.

The designation D-12 points to it being a lot older than that.
Kodak hasn't insisted that it owns exclusive rights to its
film designations for ages. Also, I think the 12 exposure roll
is almost certainly from before the time that standard 116 film
changed from 6 to 8 exposures (1932). I suspect the roll is more than
70 years old.

So there may be a chance the film is panchromatic. I would develop
in complete darkness just to be, er, safe without a light.

I would expect a panchromatic film to carry some notice to that
effect on the tail end of the backing paper. Loading the film in
the tank and examining the backing paper carefully before inspecting
development with the #2 safelight would be a good precaution.

Note also that the #1A safelight used for lith films is generally
not safe for pictorial ortho films.

Peter.