dubai sunset

Old April 27th 13, 06:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
___P:Sir

Default dubai sunset

How would You experts correct this one - especially the foreground - to make
it worth a place in a wall frame?
http://www.granvista.dk/dubai/DSCF6326.JPG

preben/denmark

Old April 27th 13, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-04-27 10:10:38 -0700, "___P:Sir" said:

How would You experts correct this one - especially the foreground - to make
it worth a place in a wall frame?
http://www.granvista.dk/dubai/DSCF6326.JPG

preben/denmark

I wouldn'y call us experts, but there are some thing you could have
done to make this a better shot than it is.
I probably would have shot at a lower ISO than the 800 you used. I
would have made the shot in landscape orientation.

As to producing something framable, that is up to you. Personally I
don't believe you should even think about saving the foreground, it is
a major distraction.
The first thing I would do is make a crop taking out most of the
foreground as it is out of focus and of little interest. The subject is
without doubt the globe glowing through the haze. So my suggested crop
would be a "Landscape" crop taking out the bottom half to two thirds of
your portrait oriented original.

Then I would make a slight increase to contrast.
If you have a RAW file to work from your final effort might be easier
to produce without much further image degradation.

That would give a result something such as this:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/P-Sun-w.jpg

Savageduck

Old April 27th 13, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 19:10:38 +0200, "___P:Sir" wrote:
: How would You experts correct this one - especially the foreground - to make
: it worth a place in a wall frame?
: http://www.granvista.dk/dubai/DSCF6326.JPG
:
: preben/denmark

I'm going to do a Tony Cooper and suggest that you cut it off right above the
topmost dark shrub. This would radically change the aspect ratio, but I think
it arguably makes a better picture. As sunset pictures go, this one has an
unusually bland and boring sun. So I think your best bet is a minimalist
approach, matching the bland sun to the equally bland foreground. The result
is a not unappealing allegory of, say, Jupiter rising over a horizon on Mars.

Ideally, you might either darken the radio tower slightly or clone it out
altogether. But if that proves difficult, I think you can get away with
leaving the tower as it is.

Depending on how large you want the print to be, you may also want to do a bit
of noise reduction. But the necessity for that is very hard to gauge from a
Web display.

Bob

Old April 29th 13, 12:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-04-28 14:46:04 -0700, "MC" said:

Savageduck wrote:

As to producing something framable, that is up to you. Personally I
don't believe you should even think about saving the foreground, it
is a major distraction. The first thing I would do is make a crop
taking out most of the foreground as it is out of focus and of little
interest. The subject is without doubt the globe glowing through the
haze. So my suggested crop would be a "Landscape" crop taking out the
bottom half to two thirds of your portrait oriented original.

I absolutely disagree. The foregound, even though uninteresting, does
lend itself to giving the image some "depth" and together with it being
in portrait makes this 100 times better than just another "flat"
picture of the sun at sunset in boring old landscape mode.
All this image needs is some quality noise reduction (if it is to be
printed large), and a tad brightness, contrast and staturation increase.

MC

That is what opinion is about. I have mind and you have yours.
I just can't see myself going to the effort of framing an uncropped
version of the original in portrait orientation.

What would you propose doing to fix this otherwise marginal quality
image file with a questionable foreground?
The atmospherics are not particularly attractive, and the foreground is
OoF and too deep. The thing which is interesting and compelling is that
Sun glowing through the haze and its position above the dune/ridge line.

Quality noise reduction is a start, but having shot at ISO 800 with
questionable light quality it is already behind the curve. The FujiFilm
HS10 used for this capture is not noted as a good low light performer
and although it offers ISO settings up to 6400, reviews note that
in-camera noise reduction is over done at ISO levels higher than ISO
400, leading to image softness. That is one of the issues with this
particular capture.

Increased contrast is pretty obvious, perhaps some tonal contrast
tweak. Certainly adjust brightness & saturation to taste. However, you
are still left with a rough capture of a scene with great potential,
desperately in need of a crop.

Ultimately the choice is up to the OP, "Preben". Since none of us is
aware of his photographic experience, or taste, or what he truly thinks
of the shot (I believe he thinks this is one of the best shots he has
produced to date), or what exactly he is trying to get from any of us
who have responded in good faith with our opinions, he will just have
to deal with our opinions and make his choices. I stand by mine.

Savageduck

Old April 29th 13, 01:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 21:46:04 GMT, "MC" wrote:

Savageduck wrote:

[...]

Although I didn't use so many words, that's more or less what I meant
with my original comment.

I don't think there is much wrong with the composition but the image
could do with more punch.

Eric Stevens
Old April 29th 13, 03:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-04-28 19:18:10 -0700, Tony Cooper said:

Savageduck wrote:

[...]

This is one of those photos that, if I took it, I would think "There
was a photograph there, but I didn't quite get it." I've had my share
of those.

Bingo!

Savageduck

Old April 29th 13, 06:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , MC says...
staturation increase

That's funny, because except for the sun the entire image is black and
white.
--

Alfred Molon
Old April 29th 13, 10:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 07:57:51 +0200, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article , MC says...
staturation increase

That's funny, because except for the sun the entire image is black and
white.

Something is wrong with either your monitor or your eyes.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ise%20%201.JPG
is the result of a first fiddle on my part and one thing is certain,
the image is not black or white. In fact I had a great deal of trouble
locating a patch of black.

Eric Stevens
Old April 29th 13, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Eric Stevens
says...
That's funny, because except for the sun the entire image is black and
white.

Something is wrong with either your monitor or your eyes.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ise%20%201.JPG
is the result of a first fiddle on my part and one thing is certain,
the image is not black or white. In fact I had a great deal of trouble
locating a patch of black.

You have massively boosted the saturation levels. In the original image,
except for the sun, there is barely any colour:
http://www.granvista.dk/dubai/DSCF6326.JPG

It's essentially a black and white image with a little colour in the
sun. The sky, the sand, the plants, everything is grey in that image...

Even in your image with the boosted saturation levels the desert sand is
still grey.
--

Alfred Molon