Developing film pieces

Old November 18th 05, 11:02 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Developing film pieces

I am using 35mm films in small boxes, used as pinhole cameras, but I
have some trouble developing them. To do it I use a tank, and putting
every piece inside the spiral require a long time, but that is not the
biggest matter, the biggest one is that, sometimes, could happen that
two pieces of film overlap and the image is lost. Anyone of you that
has some experience with developing film pieces could help me?
Thanks a lot.
Old November 18th 05, 11:17 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Dada wrote:
I am using 35mm films in small boxes, used as pinhole cameras, but I
have some trouble developing them. To do it I use a tank, and putting
every piece inside the spiral require a long time, but that is not the
biggest matter, the biggest one is that, sometimes, could happen that
two pieces of film overlap and the image is lost. Anyone of you that
has some experience with developing film pieces could help me?
Thanks a lot.

You might want to try using 4 x 5 sheet film, it is much easier to make
a pinhole camera with a larger piece of film. I use to shoot a fair
bit of 4 x 5, I had a darkroom right by where I shot so for each shot I
would dump the sheet into the tray of developer. At little hand
agitation, a quick dump into stop bath and then fix and I had my
negative. Well after a bit of rinsing. The point is it was very easy
to do, no loading into a tank. You do need a very dark room to do this
in however.

The problem with 35mm and a pinhole camera is that by the time the hole
is small enough to start to get a clear image diffraction blurs it out
again, this is much less a problem with a larger piece of film

Scott

Scott

Old November 18th 05, 01:40 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
Dada wrote:

I am using 35mm films in small boxes, used as pinhole cameras, but I
have some trouble developing them. To do it I use a tank, and putting
every piece inside the spiral require a long time, but that is not the
biggest matter, the biggest one is that, sometimes, could happen that
two pieces of film overlap and the image is lost. Anyone of you that
has some experience with developing film pieces could help me?
Thanks a lot.

If you want to use small pieces, cut them a little bigger an then clip
them bottom and top with a stainless steel film clip like the Hewes
clips. then you can fasten the clips onto a hanger and process them in a
deep tank.
to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

www.gregblankphoto(dot)com
Old November 18th 05, 03:17 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On 18 Nov 2005 02:17:54 -0800, "Scott W" wrote:

Well, this is the point. When I make paper negatives, the image has a
good definition, when I make 35mm ones they are all blured, nothing
good. You say, then, that it is almost imposibble to obtain a detailed
35mm neg from pinhole? 4x5, never tried. What about the costs, are
they expensive? Then, when you process them, you use a developer
concentration like the one for paper? To enlarge it I need a specif
enlarge or I need only a different film-holder?

Old November 18th 05, 03:50 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Dada wrote:
On 18 Nov 2005 02:17:54 -0800, "Scott W" wrote:

Well, this is the point. When I make paper negatives, the image has a
good definition, when I make 35mm ones they are all blured, nothing
good. You say, then, that it is almost imposibble to obtain a detailed
35mm neg from pinhole? 4x5, never tried. What about the costs, are
they expensive? Then, when you process them, you use a developer
concentration like the one for paper? To enlarge it I need a specif
enlarge or I need only a different film-holder?

The developer is just film developer, you are simply working with a
lager piece of film. I was shoot sheet film a long time ago, around
1970, the sheet film was pretty cheap then and I don't believe it cost
all that much now. Much more then a frame of 35mm but then just how
many photos are you going to take with a PH camera.

I have not looked by you might be able to get a pretty good deal on a
used enlarger that could handle 4 x 5 sheet.

But if these are from a PH camera a contact print is likely to be all
you really need.

You can also use 8 x 10 film and get a bigger contact print.

Scott

Old November 18th 05, 04:53 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On 18 Nov 2005 06:49:47 -0800, "UC"
wrote:

But, what is the real problem? It is about the hole? Have I too drill
an very very small one? Or it is about the reaction the film, like the
grain that doesn't make a good image?
The problem is this: when I make pinhole with 35mm it is not very
clear, instead, when I use paper image is detailed, even if the camera
has moved a little. It is a matter of grain then?

Old November 18th 05, 04:55 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Some thoughts:

Processing small bits of 35mm film. Tape the pieces to a 4x5 piece of glass
or Plexiglas with waterproof tape (the bits the film makers use to attach
film to take-up spools in film loads) or mini-lab splicing tape (I'll bet a
lab would give you a roll end if you asked nice.) Then tray process.

Resolution of enlarged images, you'll need a smaller pinhole for 35mm than
for 4x5 film, you want as small as you can go without getting into
interference range (look it up, I have a sinus headache this morning).

Bigger film, many time I just taped a 4x5 Polaroid back to a pinhole camera
and used type 665/105, then I got both a positive to check composition and a
negative to enlarge. You could also use type 55 in the appropriate adapter
if you have a source for cheap Polaroid (I did at one time).

My favorite pinhole was one I made that mounted a 12 exposure roll of 126
Verichrome pan, now that was fun. Today you could take a cheap 35mm camera
(thrift shop for $1) rip the lens off and use the body as a film transport.

--
darkroommike

----------

Old November 18th 05, 05:30 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Dada wrote:
On 18 Nov 2005 06:49:47 -0800, "UC"
wrote:

But, what is the real problem? It is about the hole? Have I too drill
an very very small one? Or it is about the reaction the film, like the
grain that doesn't make a good image?
The problem is this: when I make pinhole with 35mm it is not very
clear, instead, when I use paper image is detailed, even if the camera
has moved a little. It is a matter of grain then?

It is a matter of diffraction, when the pinhole gets too small you get
a lot of diffraction and this blurs the photo. As you go to smaller
film you need a smaller pinhole but there is only so small you can go
before running into diffraction. This is why digital pinhole cameras
are a total waste of time, you need to use the biggest piece of film
that you can.

Scott

Old November 18th 05, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

The real problem is diffraction.

You need the largest size film you can get.