Velvia 50 vs Velvia 100 (non-F) comparison

Old October 26th 05, 02:51 PM
Chris Sprague

Default Velvia 50 vs Velvia 100 (non-F) comparison

Since I've had trouble finding such comparisons of my own, I thought
I'd post these. I shot them both within a minute of each other on
Saturday morning (around 9am) at Sandy Stream Pond, Baxter State Park,
ME.

Note: I shoot RVP50 at ISO 40, which accounts for it being somewhat
more exposed than the 100 sample. I shot the RVP100 at ISO 100.

Velvia 50:
http://www.umit.maine.edu/~christoph...hdin_RVP50.jpg

Velvia 100:
http://www.umit.maine.edu/~christoph...din_RVP100.jpg

Both shot on a Cambo 4x5, Rodenstock Sironar-N 150mm, Singh-Ray warming
polarizer.

- Chris

Old October 26th 05, 03:18 PM
Chris Sprague

I suppose I should also mention that these were both scanned on an
Epson Perfection 3200, using Vuescan, two passes with long exposure
pass turned on. Downsampled from 2400dpi.

To me, the RVP100 looks a bit magenta.

- Chris

Old October 26th 05, 04:37 PM
Bill Tuthill

In rec.photo.film+labs Chris Sprague wrote:

Velvia 50 @ EI 40:
http://www.umit.maine.edu/~christoph...hdin_RVP50.jpg

Velvia 100 as rated:
http://www.umit.maine.edu/~christoph...din_RVP100.jpg

Thanks for the comparison. You are right that Velvia 100 is more
magenta; maybe also a bit redder. After increasing green gamma 1.08
and decreasing red gamma .98, the mountain, forest, and lake are
almost a perfect match. (In Photoshop etc. this could be done by
increasing brightness then changing color balance.) But note that
the cirrus clouds are whit with Velvia 100. Despite its green bias,
Velvia 50 didn't produce pure whites.

Did you have to hike to this spot? I once climbed Mount Katahdin
in winter, and we had to ski many miles to a cabin near the base
where we stayed overnight. That cabin must be closer to the mountain
than the spot where you took this picture.

Old October 26th 05, 04:57 PM
Chris Sprague

I only had to hike about a half mile or so. Thankfully, the snow was
limited to the above-treeline portions of the mountain on Saturday
(though that may have changed last night). Did you gain any elevation
when you skiied to the cabin? I know of only one cabin along the
trail, but it's about halfway up the mountain at Chimney Pond, which is
at the bottom of the cirque you can see in my two photos. Truly
spectacular spot, btw. Search Google images for "Chimney Pond", you'll
find a ton of stuff. Nothing from me, though.

If you stayed at a cabin near the base though, then there are many
other possibilities. Roaring Brook, Abol Campground, Katahdin Stream
campground, etc. For what it's worth, Sandy Stream Pond (where I took
this photo) is accessible from Roaring Brook, and is also one of the
best places in Maine, if not the world, to get good shots of moose in a
landscape setting. Moose in the morning are as reliabe there as Old
Faithful. Just show up, and you'll see some. Last Saturday, five
moose came out to the pond at the same time at one point. They were on
the opposite shore though, and unfortunately, I only had a 150mm 4x5
lens with me.

Anyway, I digress...

- Chris

Old October 26th 05, 05:33 PM
Gregory Blank

In article .com,
"Chris Sprague" wrote:

I shot the RVP100 at ISO 100.

Should have used 80.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old October 26th 05, 05:38 PM
Bill Tuthill

Chris Sprague wrote:
I only had to hike about a half mile or so. Thankfully, the snow was
limited to the above-treeline portions of the mountain on Saturday
(though that may have changed last night). Did you gain any elevation
when you skiied to the cabin? I know of only one cabin along the
trail, but it's about halfway up the mountain at Chimney Pond, which is
at the bottom of the cirque you can see in my two photos. Truly
spectacular spot, btw.

Yes, the name Chimney Pond sounds familiar. We didn't see any pond.
Of course in winter the pond is probably frozen over. Actually I climbed
Katahdin several times while in college. We were planning to go there
senior year, but a climbing party had set out in freezing rain (this was
before Goretex) and several of them died on the way up.

Thanks for your moose viewing recommendations.

Anyway, I digress...

Yup, back to film. Dontcha think the clouds are too magenta in RVP 50?

Old October 26th 05, 06:05 PM
Chris Sprague

Perhaps, but I think everything else is too magenta in RVP100. It's
too bad that the exposures weren't closer together, as it would be a
fairer comparison. Regardless, I like them both. This is very good
news to me, since RVP100 is what I'll inevitably be shooting in a year
or so, whether I want to or not. I'll just need to learn how to shoot
it, just as I did with Velvia 50.

- Chris

Old October 27th 05, 08:19 PM
Chris Sprague

The answer to this question is in my follow-up post, the second post in
this thread (Epson Perfection 3200, Vuescan). I let Vuescan chose the
exposure and colors, and since they were very close to what I saw on
the film, I made no adjustments. From there the only thing I did was
downsample and save to jpeg for the web.

- Chris

Old October 28th 05, 05:43 PM
Bill Tuthill

In rec.photo.film+labs Chris Sprague wrote:
The answer to this question is in my follow-up post, the second post in
this thread (Epson Perfection 3200, Vuescan). I let Vuescan chose the
exposure and colors, and since they were very close to what I saw on
the film, I made no adjustments. From there the only thing I did was
downsample and save to jpeg for the web.

Smart, using 1:1:1 chroma subsampling on the JPEG. I don't know
what software you used to write the file, but (for JPEG) quality is
about as good as it could be. Thanks again.

I'm a little puzzled why people continue to like Velvia 50, because
for me, the pink cirrus clouds ruin that image. The forest is not
objectionably magenta in the Velvia 100; warm colors are good.
The sky was deeper blue with Velvia 100, but that could have been
owing to exposure (EI 40 with Velvia 50).

Old October 28th 05, 06:09 PM
Chris Sprague

I use Paint Shop Pro v.8, until I can afford to cough up enough dough
for a copy of Photoshop. PSP has been fine for my web work, but now
that I'm going to start printing from scans, I think I could benefit
from Photoshop.

By the way, the more I look at the Velvia 100 image, the more I like
it. In fact, that's probably the one I'm going to get my lightjet
print from.

- Chris

Focal plane vs. leaf shutters in MF SLRs KM Medium Format Photography Equipment 724 December 7th 04 10:58 AM
Velvia 100 compensation Charles Pezeshki Large Format Photography Equipment 14 August 26th 04 08:23 PM
Velvia 100F dan Film & Labs 2 June 29th 04 09:47 PM
velvia 100F [question] dan 35mm Photo Equipment 6 June 28th 04 03:46 AM
5 Megapixels vs Velvia vs Kodachrome + Microscope Views Roger and Cathy Musgrove Film & Labs 0 October 12th 03 02:16 AM