Panasonic FZ5 - so, what's next?

Old April 12th 05, 07:38 PM
Eric Babula

Default Panasonic FZ5 - so, what's next?

Just starting a new thread, cuz I don't wanna work right now.

So, I'm gonna get the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 in maybe a couple weeks or
so. Waiting for the price to drop a little bit. I see it's already down
to $435.00 at www.butterflyphoto.com. I guess it might go to under
$400.00 relatively quickly.

So, I'm assuming if I wait too long, the next generation of super-zoom
digicams will come out, and I'll be second-guessing my decision to
purchase the FZ5!

Anyone have any ideas as to what new digicams are about to come out that
will compete with the FZ5 (for about the same price), but may be even
better? Any clues as to when they'll come out on the US market?

How does one find out this information? The FZ5 has been discussed quite
a bit, and much before it's official release date. I'm assuming you're
getting this info from photography magazines, correct? Are there
websites out there that announce the newest digicams that have just been
released, or are about to be released? I'm assuming there won't be many
reviews of any 'future' releases, yet, but, just reading the specs
should tell us something.

Well, if anyone has any info about future digicams that would be a
competitor to the FZ5, but may in fact be even better, I'd love to hear
about them!

TIA,

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

I'll likely still get the FZ5, but it won't hurt to keep an open mind!

Old April 12th 05, 09:53 PM
Charles Schuler

"Eric Babula" wrote in message
0...
Just starting a new thread, cuz I don't wanna work right now.

So, I'm gonna get the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 in maybe a couple weeks or
so. Waiting for the price to drop a little bit. I see it's already down
to $435.00 at www.butterflyphoto.com. I guess it might go to under
$400.00 relatively quickly.

I'd say not quickly. They are not in stock at several of the big retailers.
I know for sure as I just ordered one and was notified that it's OOS. This,
after searching for a vendor who persumably had them in stock (sigh).

So, I'm assuming if I wait too long, the next generation of super-zoom
digicams will come out, and I'll be second-guessing my decision to
purchase the FZ5!

Absolutely. This is always a tough call as sometimes the gains are minimal
but sometimes they are major and that hurts. However, in this case you
should be safe in that it will be a while before the FZ5 is "outclassed" as
it is getting great reviews from respected sources and one can assume it's a
great product.

Anyone have any ideas as to what new digicams are about to come out that
will compete with the FZ5 (for about the same price), but may be even
better? Any clues as to when they'll come out on the US market?
How does one find out this information? The FZ5 has been discussed quite
a bit, and much before it's official release date. I'm assuming you're
getting this info from photography magazines, correct?

Yes and Internet.

Are there
websites out there that announce the newest digicams that have just been
released, or are about to be released?

I find the "rumor mills" are not reliable and the respected sites are
tight-lipped or truly know little more than the rest of us.

I'm assuming there won't be many
reviews of any 'future' releases, yet, but, just reading the specs
should tell us something.

Future release information can be a rumor. The manufacturers don't like
rumors; at least the most respected ones.

Well, if anyone has any info about future digicams that would be a
competitor to the FZ5, but may in fact be even better, I'd love to hear
about them!

TIA,

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

I'll likely still get the FZ5, but it won't hurt to keep an open mind!

Let us know what you decide and good luck.