shooting manual with the canon 10d

Old June 24th 04, 03:51 AM
Nickyvonbuskergr

Default shooting manual with the canon 10d

im trying to improve my photography by using manual mode .

looking for some insight and advice from you guys with experience ,

i had a frustrating day last sunday trying to get action shots @ a horse show
i must say it is a hard thing to get the riders face in focus with them 10
gallon hats with shade under them to begin with .
it was definetly the most contrasty day of the year & very bright out & alot of
dust clouds the horses were kicking up .
i was trying tv mode, av mode & manual
with flash , without flash, (i have a sigma super 550 only syncs to 200 shutter
speed ,anyone using the speedlight ex 550 at very fast shutter speeds ,fp mode
? ) , al servo , continous shooting mode, is on, mode 2 for moving objects,
center point focus ,auto white balance to sun , tryed other settings for wb
(local news wag recamended manual focus ,hmm try that sunday)
tryed every possible shutter speed /aperture , bumbed up the iso to 200 (i
thought iso being bumbed up was for low light situations , was told for really
fast shutter speeds i should bumb it up ?, how come my pictures don't look like
other great sports shots ive seen, lol)end of day when cloud was over and got
some good action shots then , still the faces not really sharp .

i was reading my manual today to get a better understanding , and tryed some
things in there that i wasn't paying attention to while shooting sunday .

the 1st was to exposuer compensation in tv or av mode , adjust the shutter
speed, slower or faster, aperture more open or closed ,

i was experamenting in the manual mode down near the river with my 70-200 2.8l
is and also tryed it with the 1.4 II extender , ive been told i need to have at
least 750 shutter speed to freeze the action unlike the av,tv mode when i tryed
to get the exposure balance meter to the middle i couldn't get anywhere near
there with a 350 shutter speed no matter what aperture i went to , when i
bumbed up the iso i was able to but the pictures weren't excatly crisp and
sharp like i want .

ive heard the terms under expose and overexpose a stop 2 stops etc would this
mean by not haveing the exposure balance meter in the middle but 1 or 2
nothches =/- ?.

if so when does one go about doing this , more light faster shutter speed ,
less light slower speed am i on the right track ?

i also started looking at the histogram and comparing readings , between manual
and auto settings , i shot the same pic in auto then manual and the manual was
alot nicer and used a faster shutter speed , compared to the auto ss and
aperture .is that the best way to go about determing the right exposure in
manual ?

im going to another horse show again sunday to give it another try .
im also thinking of just getting a good position and use my 24-70 2.8l instead
of haveing to zoom all the way out with the 70-200 ?.

am i headed in the right direction here ?

thanks.

nicky