Canon Digital 300D - count of shutter releases

Old August 5th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Canon Digital 300D - count of shutter releases

How do I find out how many times the shutter has been "activated"? I
am asking because I've had the camera for around three years now and
have seen that the life of the shutter is limited.

Old August 5th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

wrote in message
ps.com...
How do I find out how many times the shutter has been "activated"? I
am asking because I've had the camera for around three years now and
have seen that the life of the shutter is limited.

Don't know. However, as many camera shutters last a very long time (100,000
shots is not uncommon),
it is hard to believe that yours is in danger of failing any time soon.
Jim

Old August 5th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat

On Aug 5, 1:56 pm, wrote:
How do I find out how many times the shutter has been "activated"? I
am asking because I've had the camera for around three years now and
have seen that the life of the shutter is limited.

While there is published info on the typical shutter life, that only
reflects what happens for a large group of cameras. You don't have a
"typical" camera, you have "your" camera. The only way to determine
the actual shutter life of your cameras is to keep taking pictures
until it breaks, then subtract 1.

FWIW, I blew a shutter at 2500 images, then 1500 images after that,
then have run nearly 20,000 images after that and all has been well.

Old August 5th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 5 août, 13:56, wrote:
How do I find out how many times the shutter has been "activated"? I
am asking because I've had the camera for around three years now and
have seen that the life of the shutter is limited.

Check the file number, I don't have the exact camera, but a file
number of say
191 9125, would mean you have fired 9125 shots. But check your manual.

Old August 6th 07, 11:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark B.

"ScamSpotter" wrote in message
On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 13:26:14 -0700, Pat
wrote:

On Aug 5, 1:56 pm, wrote:
How do I find out how many times the shutter has been "activated"? I
am asking because I've had the camera for around three years now and
have seen that the life of the shutter is limited.

While there is published info on the typical shutter life, that only
reflects what happens for a large group of cameras. You don't have a
"typical" camera, you have "your" camera. The only way to determine
the actual shutter life of your cameras is to keep taking pictures
until it breaks, then subtract 1.

FWIW, I blew a shutter at 2500 images, then 1500 images after that,
then have run nearly 20,000 images after that and all has been well.

This is worse than I ever thought possible. 3 new shutters needed to be
installed just to get 24,000 photos?

That's hardly typical. That's what I would call a lemon.

Mark

Old August 6th 07, 11:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark B.

"Z" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 5 août, 13:56, wrote:
How do I find out how many times the shutter has been "activated"? I
am asking because I've had the camera for around three years now and
have seen that the life of the shutter is limited.

Check the file number, I don't have the exact camera, but a file
number of say
191 9125, would mean you have fired 9125 shots. But check your manual.
-------------------------------

Not necessarily. I'm not sure about the OP's camera, but my 30D can be set
for continuous numbering, auto reset, or manual reset. With continuous, the
numbers continue from whereever they last ended with the last card. With
auto reset, it resets back to 0 when the card is formatted; if not it will
continue from the highest file number on the card. Manual reset will create
a new folder and start a new sequence. The only way to verify the total
number of actuations on a Canon DSLR is to take it to a Service Center.

Mark

Old August 6th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
l v

Mark B. wrote:
"Z" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 5 août, 13:56, wrote:
[...]

The 300D is similar, continuous numbering and auto reset only. The
image number behaves the same as your camera.

I wish I had the manual reset as it would make my annual reset simpler.

--

Len
Old August 7th 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Jim wrote:

wrote in message
ps.com...
How do I find out how many times the shutter has been "activated"? I
am asking because I've had the camera for around three years now and
have seen that the life of the shutter is limited.

Don't know. However, as many camera shutters last a very long time (100,000
shots is not uncommon),
it is hard to believe that yours is in danger of failing any time soon.
Jim

Hello, Jim:

For an SLR camera (film or digital) - with its "focal-plane shutter" -
"100,000 shots" isn't exactly common, either. A better, more expensive
DSLR, will often have a sturdier mechanism, than a cheaper one.

For instance:

Nikon D200 - 100,000 actuations

Nikon D80 - 50,000 actuations

Cordially,
John Turco
Old August 7th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat

On Aug 5, 1:56 pm, wrote:
How do I find out how many times the shutter has been "activated"? I
am asking because I've had the camera for around three years now and
have seen that the life of the shutter is limited.

While there is published info on the typical shutter life, that only
reflects what happens for a large group of cameras. You don't have a
"typical" camera, you have "your" camera. The only way to determine
the actual shutter life of your cameras is to keep taking pictures
until it breaks, then subtract 1.

FWIW, I blew a shutter at 2500 images, then 1500 images after that,
then have run nearly 20,000 images after that and all has been well.

This is worse than I ever thought possible. 3 new shutters needed to be
installed just to get 24,000 photos? One of my SLDCs (non-dslr, single-lens
digital cameras) has taken over 125,000 photos and is still going strong. It's
nice to know that I didn't invest my money into a $5,000 FORD (fix or replace
daily) camera design. They should add in the costly equipment repair and
downtime over a 5-year period whenever they post retail prices, or when other
dslr owners tell new buyers what it is really going to cost them. This should be
labeled as deceptive marketing practices. If you bought any car intentionally
designed like that it would easily qualify for the Lemon Laws.

"Yes, that's a fine watch, but it will only keep time for 3 months before you
have to send it in for a 2-week-long repair again -- AT YOUR TIME & EXPENSE. We
can sell you this lovely identical backup timepiece at the same price for
whenever this happens, and it will, constantly."

Talk about a scam. Nobody in their right mind would buy into something designed
like that. Which only goes to prove the blind-foolishness and lack of intellect
of all dslr purchasers.

Well my other camera has gone about 20,000 with no problems.

But I doubt you use cameras quite the way that I do. The camera broke
when I was shooting a football game. It was somewhere between -5F and
0F and snowing like a banchi. A kid cut the corner, slid on the snow,
and hit feet took out my monopod and camera. When I started shooting
again, at 1/2000 IIRC, the shutter went bad. Hey, those things happen.

Old August 7th 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

l v wrote:
Mark B. wrote:
"Z" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 5 août, 13:56, wrote:
[...]

On my p&s canon, I found out (by accident) that if you format the card
then perform a camera reset that will reset the film counter. This may
or may not be easier that fiddling with the numbering mode. Of course,
everything else will return to factory default (but custom 'C' settings
are not affected).
Dave Cohen