review of 22 Mpixel medium format digital back

Old December 20th 04, 06:37 PM
Mxsmanic

Gregory Blank writes:

Did you really think so? I thought them rather drab and test like.

Lots of digital images are like that.

Old December 20th 04, 06:38 PM
Mxsmanic

Shelley writes:

Another ostrich.

No, just another photographer who isn't independently wealthy.

Old December 20th 04, 06:38 PM
Mxsmanic

Old December 20th 04, 07:57 PM
Gregory Blank

Mxsmanic wrote:

Gregory Blank writes:

Did you really think so? I thought them rather drab and test like.

Lots of digital images are like that.

Which is why I am not tremendously impressed with digital camera
images or the "benefits" of using them.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old December 21st 04, 12:16 AM
Stacey

Shelley wrote:

Nice images. All it takes is $40,000 to get something digital that is
close to what one can obtain for $1000 with 35mm film.

Another ostrich.

$40K isn't realistic for most people reading here. It's neat technology but
until storage and sensor prices come down, this "size" of digital isn't
realistic for most people. I finally broke down and bought an 8MP SLR and
feel it should work for stuff I don't want to blow up very big. I'll have
to see if it's good enough to replace my 6X4.5 but I kinda doubt it will. I
know it's not going to replace my 4X5!
--

Stacey
Old December 21st 04, 12:38 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Stacey" wrote:

$40K isn't realistic for most people reading here. It's neat technology

but
until storage and sensor prices come down, this "size" of digital isn't
realistic for most people. I finally broke down and bought an 8MP SLR and
feel it should work for stuff I don't want to blow up very big.

Welcome to the dark side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll have
to see if it's good enough to replace my 6X4.5 but I kinda doubt it will.

??? Is this the same Stacey we all know and love ???

In the real world, 35mm edges out 6MP, but 8MP is very very close. With
quality film and scans, though, IMHO, it takes 16.7MP for digital to get
into the 645 ballpark.

Here's a simulation of 16.7MP vs. Tech Pan in 645. The digital is crudely
sharpened, but you get the idea: rather similar level of detail rendered
with the Tech Pan coming out somewhat ahead. The digital needs to be
upsampled by a factor of 1.85 or so to match the magnification of a 4000 dpi
scan of 645, and is getting rather soft at that scale. (This is a 22mm lens
on a dSLR with the same pixel pitch as the 1Dsmk2 vs. a 35mm lens on 645.)

http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/34473562/original

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old December 21st 04, 06:53 AM
Stacey

David J. Littleboy wrote:

"Stacey" wrote:

$40K isn't realistic for most people reading here. It's neat technology

but
until storage and sensor prices come down, this "size" of digital isn't
realistic for most people. I finally broke down and bought an 8MP SLR and
feel it should work for stuff I don't want to blow up very big.

Welcome to the dark side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanx.. I'm glad I was able to "hold out" till they got to this level. I've
watched for years as people said "This new digicam is almost as good as
35mm", I think they are really there now. Should have my old OM 35mm stuff
on ebay this spring. Xmas seems like a bad time to post it but maybe people
will have Xmas $$ to spend after xmas?

I'll have
to see if it's good enough to replace my 6X4.5 but I kinda doubt it will.

??? Is this the same Stacey we all know and love ???

:-) I did say I doubt it will..

In the real world, 35mm edges out 6MP, but 8MP is very very close. With
quality film and scans, though, IMHO, it takes 16.7MP for digital to get
into the 645 ballpark.

Here's a simulation of 16.7MP vs. Tech Pan in 645.

But I never shoot tech pan, mainly shoot negative films so maybe it's not
too far off?

BTW any advice on good books to read on working with digital files etc?

--

Stacey
Old December 21st 04, 07:09 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Stacey" wrote:

Thanx.. I'm glad I was able to "hold out" till they got to this level.

I've
watched for years as people said "This new digicam is almost as good as
35mm", I think they are really there now.

That's certainly what the few 8MP vs. 4000 dpi Provia 100F scan comparisons
I've seen show. And the more sensible pages all agreed that 6MP was less
than 35mm.

Here's a simulation of 16.7MP vs. Tech Pan in 645.

But I never shoot tech pan, mainly shoot negative films so maybe it's not
too far off?

I really should redo that with Reala, now that Tech Pan's been discontinued.

BTW any advice on good books to read on working with digital files etc?

Hmm. I've mostly picked up what I know lurking (or arguingg) in the
various forums and mailing lists. People say good things about "Adobe
Photoshop for Photographers" and "Real World Photoshop". I keep trying to
read them, but they're too dense of introductory stuff...

"Real World Color Management" and "Mastering Digital Printing" are also in
my "too be read" pile. (All four of these arrived here due to being
recommended often enough in the various mailing lists.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old December 21st 04, 01:41 PM
Shelley

And the more sensible pages all agreed that 6MP was less
than 35mm.

Do lens quality and print size not enter into this at all? In other words,
the "sensible pages" all say that a 6mp camera is simply inherently inferior
to 35mm using any lens at any print size - e.g. I can put a Nikon pro lens
on my Nikon D100 camera and make an 8x10 print but the results will always
be worse than the same print from a 35mm point and shoot camera with an 8x
zoom lens? How about 35mm in a disposable camera compared to the D100 and
Nikon pro lens? The image from the disposable camera will always be better?
At any print size?

I quit using 35mm years ago because the largest satisfactory (to me) print I
could usually make with it was 6x9 so I can't make a side by side
comparison. But I've been using a 6mp Nikon D100 with a Nikon 60mm macro
lens for photographs around the house and my wife used it on a recent trip.
I've made some 8x10 prints from the images, they look very nice,
subjectively to me they look at least as good, actually better in many
cases, than I remember my 8x10 prints looking from my 35mm system (Nikon F4
camera, Nikon pro lenses).

But I never shoot tech pan, mainly shoot negative films . . . .

Tech Pan is (was) a negative film.