Agfa Returns !!! Email the new president !!!

Old November 8th 04, 07:22 PM
Stacey

davidb wrote:

********** I think we should ask for the return of APX 25
***************

It was the ONLY product in their B&W line that stood out from anything
offered elsewhere.

--

Stacey

Old November 8th 04, 08:59 PM

Stacey wrote:

davidb wrote:

********** I think we should ask for the return of APX 25
***************

It was the ONLY product in their B&W line that stood out from anything
offered elsewhere.

Agfa is the only outfit now able to offer a "reasonable" alternative to
Tech Pan either with their microfilm products or with APX 25. You have to
consider which films are being dropped by other makes when speculating on
which products might be good for Agfa to offer.

Old November 9th 04, 12:48 AM
LR Kalajainen

As long as they keep producing Agfa Multicontrast Classic 111 I'll be
happy. I've never used their films, so can't speak and really don't
care about those. But I've used their papers for years, starting with
Portriga Rapid of late lamented fame, and now their Multicontrast, which
I like a great deal.

Shelley wrote:

Dropping sales does not equate a declining profit rate. If you can

downsize your

workforce and equipment, you can continue to maintain the same profit rate

even

with declining sales.

True, but that isn't much comfort when the profit rate is applied to a
constantly decreasing volume, which is what's happening to film. Kodak has
had a much greater drop in roll film sales than they were expecting and they
were expecting a 10%-12% drop. They're getting 16%. I believe Agfa in its
original announcement said their film sales had been declining about 15% a
year for the last three years. Ilford is in receivership, Forte is gone. The
fact that profit rates aren't declining (or even are increasing) means
nothing when the number against which that rate is applied (gross revenue
from sales) is declining so rapidly.

wrote in message

Dropping sales does not equate a declining profit rate. If you can

downsize your

workforce and equipment, you can continue to maintain the same profit rate

even

with declining sales. Most large firms have layers and layers of

overhead. Niche

products cannot afford such overhead and therefore trimming down the size

of the

firm could help Agfa's film products significantly. I think we can all

agree that

the film side of the photography business is due for a shakeout. I think

Agfa has

made the right choices in preparing for this upcoming reduction in the

number of

film producers.

Bill Hilton wrote:

I disagree, I think this is a very big deal, it means that the film
division is "liberated" from the rest of Agfa's operations, meaning
that if they continue to turn a profit, they won't have to worry
about being done away with.

The original announcement (a couple of months back) said they were being
"liberated" because sales were dropping 15-20% per year due to digital.

With a

business model like that the main "worry" is that soon you won't be in

business

at all.