Nikon's NXCapture Software - Opinions?

Old July 31st 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
BRH

Default Nikon's NXCapture Software - Opinions?

Just wondering whether anyone here uses Nikon's NXCapture software for
photo-editing/manipulating. If so, are you using it just for RAW, or
for JPEGs too?

I downloaded the trial version, but haven't had a chance to really try
it yet. - Maybe later tonite if I have time. Reading thru the website,
the interface looked pretty unique.

Finally, does this software come included with any of the Nikon cameras,
or is it strictly an add-on purchase?

Thanks!
Old July 31st 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Adrian Boliston

BRH wrote in message . ..

Just wondering whether anyone here uses Nikon's NXCapture software for
photo-editing/manipulating. If so, are you using it just for RAW, or for
JPEGs too?

I downloaded the trial version, but haven't had a chance to really try it
yet. - Maybe later tonite if I have time. Reading thru the website, the
interface looked pretty unique.

Finally, does this software come included with any of the Nikon cameras,
or is it strictly an add-on purchase?

I have used it for quite a while, but it is more of a raw converter than a
full blown editor like photoshop. I don't really do any editing apart from
cropping & straightening so it suits me fine, but a lot of people are into
using layers and cloning etc in which case CS2/CS3 might be better.

cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

Old August 1st 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
babaloo

I very much like NX as a raw converter. I generally open images in NX and
then finish in Photoshop.
I like the default settings that NX opens raw images into; NX also allows
adjustment of the levels and curves directly, something that is obliquely
done in the CS3 converter.
The control points do not allow as fine control as, and are no substitute
for, layers. However once you get the hang of them, if you like the
paradigm, they allow for very rapid optimization of most images.
One problem, to me, is that NX defaults to 16 bit color, something I have
issues with and which massively increases file sizes for very little
practical gain IMHO unless your object is a smooth histogram instead of a
print.
Whether NX is worth what Nikon charges for it, however, is up to the buyer.
It's kind of pricey for what it is. The same can be said of DxO and Phase
One: if it works for you it is worth it.
However if you could only have one program stick with Photoshop.

Old August 1st 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Barry L. Wallis

BRH wrote:
Just wondering whether anyone here uses Nikon's NXCapture software for
photo-editing/manipulating. If so, are you using it just for RAW, or
for JPEGs too?

I downloaded the trial version, but haven't had a chance to really try
it yet. - Maybe later tonite if I have time. Reading thru the website,
the interface looked pretty unique.

Finally, does this software come included with any of the Nikon cameras,
or is it strictly an add-on purchase?

Thanks!

I tried the trial when it first came out and bought it when the trial
was over. It has been worth every penny I paid for it. I use it as the
initial editor in my workflow for both raw and jpeg (which I resave as
NEF). If I need to do manipulation that NX cannot do, I export to tiff
and edit in The Gimp.

--
- Barry
Old August 2nd 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
BRH

Barry L. Wallis wrote:
BRH wrote:

Just wondering whether anyone here uses Nikon's NXCapture software for
photo-editing/manipulating. If so, are you using it just for RAW, or
for JPEGs too?

I downloaded the trial version, but haven't had a chance to really try
it yet. - Maybe later tonite if I have time. Reading thru the
website, the interface looked pretty unique.

Finally, does this software come included with any of the Nikon
cameras, or is it strictly an add-on purchase?

Thanks!

I tried the trial when it first came out and bought it when the trial
was over. It has been worth every penny I paid for it. I use it as the
initial editor in my workflow for both raw and jpeg (which I resave as
NEF). If I need to do manipulation that NX cannot do, I export to tiff
and edit in The Gimp.

Thanks for the info. I've just started playing with the trial version.

Can you tell me whether CaptureNX supports the D80? It's not listed
under supported cameras, but I can't believe it's not supported.

Also, does CaptureNX come with a printed manual? (I can dream, can't
I?....)

Thanks.
Old August 2nd 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Barry L. Wallis

BRH wrote:
Barry L. Wallis wrote:
BRH wrote:

[...]

The current version 1.1.0 supports the D80. You can confirm this in the
first paragraph of the PDF detailing the changes for this version:
http://nikonusa.com/pdf/capnxappendix/CAPNX_APPENDIX_En.pdf

Also, does CaptureNX come with a printed manual? (I can dream, can't
I?....)

I downloaded it and didn't find one. There are tech guides and tutorials
at the Capture NX site http://capturenx.com and in the knowdgebase
http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_prods=422C298&p_pv=2.298&p_cats=185& p_cv=1.185
(pick the CaptureNX How To series for a complete set of tutorials).

--
- Barry
Old August 2nd 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Adrian Boliston

"Barry L. Wallis" wrote in message

Also, does CaptureNX come with a printed manual? (I can dream, can't
I?....)

I downloaded it and didn't find one....

The boxed version of NX came with a printed manual, which seems to be
identical to the downloadable pdf version.

cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk