Do you guys sell the negative or jpg file to customer?

Old May 1st 04, 11:40 AM
Randall Ainsworth

Default Do you guys sell the negative or jpg file to customer?

There's nothing unprofessional about it. It's just far less greedy than
the old-style business model for wedding photography, and it's easier to
manage.

It's hard for me to think of a reason why I'd want to keep wedding
negatives. I don't try to shaft clients into paying me exorbitant
prices for prints, so I have no reason to prevent them from making their
own prints, and in fact I facilitate this with a contract that grants
them a generous license to use the photos in just about any way they
want (although I keep the copyright and a few rights), plus digital
files and/or negatives. Wedding photos typically are worthless except
to the family that commissioned them, so why keep the originals?

It has nothing to do with screwing people out of money. It has
everything to do with quality control.

If I give someone my negatives, they'll go to a non-professional lab to
have prints made. While I doubt that Wally World can handle 2 1/4
square negs, any non-pro lab will make prints that are substandard in
quality. Somebody will look at them and think, "Jeez - those look like
crap." When asked who took them it will reflect negatively on me. Not
good business.
Old May 1st 04, 12:17 PM
Mxsmanic

Randall Ainsworth writes:

It has nothing to do with screwing people out of money. It has
everything to do with quality control.

Yeah, sure. Maybe your clients will believe that, but I know better.

If I give someone my negatives, they'll go to a non-professional lab to
have prints made.

A lot of cheap, one-hour places can make very nice prints. The Fuji
Frontier and its ilk changed everything, and now just about any lab can
produce extremely nice prints with non-expert personnel and simple
maintenance.

While I doubt that Wally World can handle 2 1/4
square negs, any non-pro lab will make prints that are substandard in
quality.

That's not true. I've shown clients 8x12 prints from a pro lab and from
a one-hour lab, and they've been unable to tell the difference. I have
a very hard time telling the difference myself. And when clients do see
a difference and show a preference, they usually favor the one-hour
lab's prints (probably because they are on Fuji Crystal Archive, which
has a lot of "pop").

Somebody will look at them and think, "Jeez - those look like
crap." When asked who took them it will reflect negatively on me. Not
good business.

This is kind of apocryphal. Has it ever really happened to anyone? Not
me.

Old May 1st 04, 11:11 PM
Randall Ainsworth

That's not true. I've shown clients 8x12 prints from a pro lab and from
a one-hour lab, and they've been unable to tell the difference. I have
a very hard time telling the difference myself. And when clients do see
a difference and show a preference, they usually favor the one-hour
lab's prints (probably because they are on Fuji Crystal Archive, which
has a lot of "pop").

Most amateurs can't tell the difference.
Old May 2nd 04, 01:08 AM
Mxsmanic

Randall Ainsworth writes:

Most amateurs can't tell the difference.

Then why worry about "quality control"?

Old April 14th 05, 11:17 PM

After the first year I did weddings, I starting giving the couple the negs
along with their prints. Why? Because I got tired of running to the lab for
one 5 x 7 of Aunt Tilly....I figured it out one afternoon and discovered
that I LOST money on reprints unless they ordered around ten or more.
Figuring my time(it took an hour to get to my lab) gas,wear and tear on my
truck and more of the same on the return trip to pick up the reprints!
Plus,after reading about a lawsuit in Texas where a couple who had been
married 5 years and had NEVER ordered any reprints,sued a photographer who's
studio burned to the ground when the dry cleaners next door went up in
flames for not taking proper care of their wedding negs and collected !
After that, I decided I didn't want to be storing negatives for
anybody..plus there's the problem of storage.....file cabinets cost $$$ for
good ones and they take up space.
Around this area,the deal seems to be that the studios call the couple after
about 2 years and ask them if they'd like to buy the negs

"ian green" wrote in message
"Randall Ainsworth" :

I didn't when I was in business and wouldn't if I were doing it today.
You can make good money on reprints. Plus, quality control is in your
hands.

let me insert my question on topic in your discussion

is it common practice to give away negatives/scans to photo agency without
any obligations from the agency?
i have just that case: photo stock agency wants all my negatives (return
after 45 days) then i should wait for "their call".
i called 'em suckers, they said it's "common practice"....

--

ian green
Xeto : photo & graphic project

Old April 15th 05, 02:55 AM
Randall Ainsworth

" wrote:

[...]

Sounds like your prices were too low. Or you didn't promote reprints.
Or maybe the images weren't good enough that people wanted to buy more.