A Photography forum. PhotoBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » PhotoBanter.com forum » Digital Photography » Digital Photography
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Affinity Photo for iPad



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old September 25th 17, 01:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 20,947
Default Affinity Photo for iPad

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On my Mac, not the iPad, Lightroom was not running, so;
Step #1: Open Lightroom: 27.58 seconds

yikes. you have a very slow hard drive.

Yup. It is a 3 TB Toshiba running in my mid-2010 3.6 GHz i5 iMac


when do you get the new imac?


I am thinking of January/Febuary.


waiting for the imac pro, are you?
  #82  
Old September 25th 17, 01:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_7_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 660
Default Affinity Photo for iPad

On 9/24/2017 2:12 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2017-09-24 13:19, PeterN wrote:
On 9/24/2017 11:03 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2017-09-23 23:06, PeterN wrote:
On 9/23/2017 12:14 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2017-09-23 09:56, PeterN wrote:
On 9/23/2017 9:07 AM, Alan Browne wrote:


snip.


Hmm.* 512 GB is quite a lot then.* No issue.* No cloud
needed.

When I was traveling I looked into the iPad. Because of my
workflow, it didn't work for me. Remember, I use a high
megapixel camera.

What's high?* What size raw file?

On an iPad one could easily allocate 400 GB to photography.
Say 30 MB per image.* That would be 13000+ images.* Say you cut
that in half so you can do lot's of roadshow editing.* How long
does it take to fill 6500 images that are probably worth
keeping?

In photography one tends to reduce stuff carried around that is
not specific to photography.* An iPad v. laptop is a no
brainer.

RAW size for a D800

Image quality*** Image size*** File size*2 FX (36x24)*1 NEF
(RAW), Lossless compressed, 12-bit*** -*** 32.4 MB NEF (RAW),
Lossless compressed, 14-bit*** -*** 41.3 MB NEF (RAW),
Compressed, 12-bit*** -*** 29.0 MB

Also, there were times I wanted to do some procession. My laptop
had a 17" screen. The iPad also belongs to my wife. Every day I
took the days shooting, and downloaded it onto the Notebook, and
backed up to 2 portable HDs. If I did any processing the file
size increased.

So, how many thousand photos do you shoot per week or so?


When on a photo travel, it would not have been unusual to shoot over
400 a day. yes I did get rid of most.


So an iPad with 512 Gb could handle that quite easily for a few weeks.
Not like you're really going to shoot that many per day, every day, even
less likely to do extensive editing on many of them every day.


I already had the notebook. I used what I felt comfortable using. While
there may have been a more efficient way, I no longer take trips of more
than a few days, and I am not going to get into a debate on the tools I
decided to use several years ago.

--
PeterN
  #83  
Old September 25th 17, 08:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Eric Stevens
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,931
Default Affinity Photo for iPad

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 20:13:11 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

On my Mac, not the iPad, Lightroom was not running, so;
Step #1: Open Lightroom: 27.58 seconds

yikes. you have a very slow hard drive.

for me, it's about 4 seconds cold launch from an ssd. i did not time it
to 100th second accuracy, though.


I've got an SSD and from the first click to being ready to edit was
about 13 seconds.


then something is *very* wrong.

is it connected via usb 2?


Samsung SSD 950 PRO 512GB [Hard drive] (512.11 GB) -- drive 1, s/n
0025_3856_61B0_14D5.
--

Regards,

Eric Stevens
  #84  
Old September 25th 17, 09:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
RJH
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 127
Default Affinity Photo for iPad

On 25/09/2017 01:13, nospam wrote:
In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On my Mac, not the iPad, Lightroom was not running, so;
Step #1: Open Lightroom: 27.58 seconds

yikes. you have a very slow hard drive.

Yup. It is a 3 TB Toshiba running in my mid-2010 3.6 GHz i5 iMac

when do you get the new imac?


I am thinking of January/Febuary.


waiting for the imac pro, are you?


Don't even think it :-)

--
Cheers, Rob
  #85  
Old September 25th 17, 11:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
android
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,338
Default Affinity Photo for iPad

In article , RJH
wrote:

On 25/09/2017 01:13, nospam wrote:
In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On my Mac, not the iPad, Lightroom was not running, so;
Step #1: Open Lightroom: 27.58 seconds

yikes. you have a very slow hard drive.

Yup. It is a 3 TB Toshiba running in my mid-2010 3.6 GHz i5 iMac

when do you get the new imac?

I am thinking of January/Febuary.


waiting for the imac pro, are you?


Don't even think it :-)


Went by that Apple Premium Reseller not that long ago and those iMac
Retinas did not seem that premium to me. A Mini Pro would be nice...
--
teleportation kills
  #86  
Old September 25th 17, 02:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12,650
Default Affinity Photo for iPad

On 2017-09-24 20:49, PeterN wrote:
On 9/24/2017 2:12 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2017-09-24 13:19, PeterN wrote:
On 9/24/2017 11:03 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2017-09-23 23:06, PeterN wrote:
On 9/23/2017 12:14 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2017-09-23 09:56, PeterN wrote:
On 9/23/2017 9:07 AM, Alan Browne wrote:


snip.


Hmm.* 512 GB is quite a lot then.* No issue.* No cloud
needed.

When I was traveling I looked into the iPad. Because of my
workflow, it didn't work for me. Remember, I use a high
megapixel camera.

What's high?* What size raw file?

On an iPad one could easily allocate 400 GB to photography.
Say 30 MB per image.* That would be 13000+ images.* Say you cut
that in half so you can do lot's of roadshow editing.* How long
does it take to fill 6500 images that are probably worth
keeping?

In photography one tends to reduce stuff carried around that is
not specific to photography.* An iPad v. laptop is a no
brainer.

RAW size for a D800

Image quality*** Image size*** File size*2 FX (36x24)*1 NEF
(RAW), Lossless compressed, 12-bit*** -*** 32.4 MB NEF (RAW),
Lossless compressed, 14-bit*** -*** 41.3 MB NEF (RAW),
Compressed, 12-bit*** -*** 29.0 MB

Also, there were times I wanted to do some procession. My laptop
had a 17" screen. The iPad also belongs to my wife. Every day I
took the days shooting, and downloaded it onto the Notebook, and
backed up to 2 portable HDs. If I did any processing the file
size increased.

So, how many thousand photos do you shoot per week or so?

When on a photo travel, it would not have been unusual to shoot over
400 a day. yes I did get rid of most.


So an iPad with 512 Gb could handle that quite easily for a few weeks.
Not like you're really going to shoot that many per day, every day,
even less likely to do extensive editing on many of them every day.


I already had the notebook. I used what I felt comfortable using. While
there may have been a more efficient way, I no longer take trips of more
than a few days, and I am not going to get into a debate on the tools I
decided to use several years ago.


Not debating anything other than the notion that an iPad with 512 GB
doesn't have enough storage for a photographer on a trip. It does. In
spades. What you have and use is up to you of course.


--

  #87  
Old September 25th 17, 03:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 20,947
Default Affinity Photo for iPad

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

On my Mac, not the iPad, Lightroom was not running, so;
Step #1: Open Lightroom: 27.58 seconds

yikes. you have a very slow hard drive.

for me, it's about 4 seconds cold launch from an ssd. i did not time it
to 100th second accuracy, though.

I've got an SSD and from the first click to being ready to edit was
about 13 seconds.


then something is *very* wrong.

is it connected via usb 2?


Samsung SSD 950 PRO 512GB [Hard drive] (512.11 GB) -- drive 1, s/n
0025_3856_61B0_14D5.


that doesn't answer the question.
  #88  
Old September 25th 17, 03:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_7_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 660
Default Affinity Photo for iPad

On 9/24/2017 2:18 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2017-09-24 13:06, PeterN wrote:
On 9/24/2017 11:08 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2017-09-23 17:49, Davoud wrote:
Alan Browne:
I can't speak about Affinity, but I can say that I will never buy an
Adobe photo editing product again.

Stop me if you've heard this one.

If any of the following is true

€ you are a professional
€ you are an amateur
€ your photographs are important to you
€ you have a large number of photographs to manage
€ you prefer doing things the easy way

then you are cutting off your nose to spite your face if you are
boycotting Adobe for some reason.

Not at all.* I have CS5 and that is more than sufficient for 99.99%
of what I do.* (Which even includes occasional paid photography).

What I do not support is rental s/w.* That's Adobe's new path.* If I
were a full time photographer, then I'd go for it.* But "renting"
spinning s/w that I don't use for stretches is a stretch.

Meanwhile other suppliers are coming out with competitive products
that do as much as most people need.

Discussed and closed before.* That's it for me.


I like the concept of choice. Each of us should use what they feel
more comfortable using. The preceding sentence applies to cameras,
software, and computers.


Has nothing to do with "comfort".


Sheesh! For a bit I thought Tony Cooper was responding. :-)
Obviously I used the word "comfort," in the sense that the user likes
using it, and the product does the job to the user's satisfaction.

--
PeterN
  #89  
Old September 25th 17, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_7_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 660
Default Affinity Photo for iPad

On 9/24/2017 4:46 PM, Savageduck wrote:


snip


...and as I said, producing panoramas is not where the bulk of my travel
photography lies.


Me neither. But every so often, I see an opportunity for a pano. (Three
shot vertical.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8w53i3y3m9cv8m/Dale%20Chihuly1.jpg?dl=0

Which ended up like this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2quthg7matfxs8/Boron%20Botanical1filtered.jpg?dl=0

--
PeterN
  #90  
Old September 25th 17, 03:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_7_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 660
Default Affinity Photo for iPad

On 9/24/2017 6:50 PM, Davoud wrote:
Davoud:
Stop me if you've heard this one...


Alan Browne:
What I do not support is rental s/w. That's Adobe's new path. If I
were a full time photographer, then I'd go for it. But "renting"
spinning s/w that I don't use for stretches is a stretch.


I never grasped why persons who lease houses and automobiles, who pay
for utilities by the month, who belong to membership clubs, who
subscribe to newspapers or magazines... would draw the line at
subscribing to world-class software.

That one doesn't need it is an incontestable reason, however. Here's
the thing, though: there is no minimum subscription period for Adobe
CC, including the $10 photography plan. A friend, an accomplished
photographer, activates his photography plan for about two months each
year after big photo safaris.


Now that's thinking. Reminds me when some people would rent a safety
deposit box, at a bank near the beach. They would use the vault office
to change into and out of their bathing suit.

--
PeterN
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Mac Users - Affinity Photo Update Savageduck[_3_] Digital Photography 7 December 9th 16 11:15 PM
Affinity Photo Windows Beta Available Savageduck[_3_] Digital Photography 87 November 17th 16 07:32 PM
Affinity Photo Beta Neil[_9_] Digital Photography 41 November 17th 16 02:39 PM
photo editor for iPad isw Digital Photography 4 April 11th 16 06:20 PM
iPad 3 - best app for simple photo editing David Taylor Digital Photography 80 July 31st 14 10:08 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 PhotoBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.