Photoshop CC problem(s)

Old January 12th 21, 08:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Photoshop CC problem(s)

I've been running Photoshop CC for years without any trouble. I have
not used it for the last few weeks or so and in the mean time there
have been several upgrades of PS and Windows 10. For whatever reason I
now find that while PS starts OK it now always downloads files in
Camera Raw. I don't mind that but I have not been able to turn that
feature off. To compound the problem, it takes more than 2 hours to
load an image. I don't actually know how long as I give up at that
point. When I load a 30Mb NEF file the image may appear after 2 or 3
minutes but the editing sliders remain locked and unresponsive. The
Windows task manager shows that one processor core (out of 12) is
running at 100% and it will continue to do this until I shut down
Photoshop. Most times I cannot shut down Photoshop in the usual manner
but have to end the task in Task Manager. On occasion I can close
Camera Raw and then I can shutdown Photoshop normally.

I have tried contacting Adobe Tech Support but an afternoon of being
passed from person to person in the hope that the next person would
know about the problem, and after waiting for an hour for what might
have been the last person I gave up.

I then tried the adobe community and quickly received the suggestion
that I should turn off GPU support. GPU setting was previously on Auto
and is now Off. [GPU = GeForce GTX 1070]. That possibly made a
difference, but only minimal. The image still opened in ACR but maybe
more quickly. Fully functioning editing sliders were still not
available even after about ten minutes. One CPU core only, continued
to be fully at work. Some of the graphics memory was in use and there
were occasional barely visible twitches of activity in various parts
of the GPU.

As far as I can tell I have the same problem irrespective of whether I
am using PS 2020 or 2021.

Has anyone encountered or heard of a similar problem and if so what
was the cause/cure?

Eric Stevens
Old January 12th 21, 12:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

something about your system is *very* broken.

under no circumstances should photoshop take 2 hours to load an image
or be unable to quit, or any app for that matter.

the first thing to try is fully uninstalling all adobe cc apps and
reinstall, although i suspect the problem is elsewhere and photoshop is
only the first app to exhibit symptoms of a much bigger problem.
Old January 12th 21, 01:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 11, 2021, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

[...]

I am running my iMac with macOS 10.15.7 “Catalina” with current Mac editions of Photoshop 2021 and Lightroom Classic (with current ACR). I am not experiencing the issue you are reporting. However, I am using an LRc to PS workflow.PS Quits as it should without hesitation.
I am editing 50-56MB Fuji RAF, and 25-30MB DJI DNG files.

At this stage I can offer no logical explanation, or solution for your problem.

I checked my PS preferences “File Handling” and they are set as in the image below:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffe9dkhmpmq420j/screenshot_506.jpg

Savageduck

Old January 12th 21, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article ,
says...

[...]

No such problem here with PS 2020 on a Win 10 PC. But I noticed
when I open RAW files I have to wait for a few seconds until
Camera RAW kicks in, then everything runs smoothly.

Do you perhaps use an old, underpowered PC?

Perhaps something is broken. You could uninstall PS (completely
remove all files), then make a clean install.
--
Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
https://groups.io/g/myolympus
https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site
Old January 12th 21, 07:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

[...]

camera raw doesn't 'kick in' and a few seconds delay to open any photo
is not normal, regardless of which app or what format.
Old January 12th 21, 07:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Jan 12, 2021, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

[...]

Go into task manager, and check for 100% (or close) CPU, memory, or disk
read/write usage. The problem will be that it might take forever just to get
into task manager, but it’s helpful, so wait. If it’s Adobe tying
everything up, then take nospam’s advice, and reinstall everything. If
something else is responsible, let us know what it is. I have had very
similar problems from Malwarybytes, Foxit Reader, and one or two others. If
it something else, then you have to kill those programs, or uninstall them,
and then talk to their customer support. My problems tended to come after
updates to programs, and reinstalling them will not fix that.

Old January 12th 21, 07:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
l-september.org, Bill
W wrote:

[...]

adobe shouldn't be hogging the cpu unless it's actively doing
something, such as a complex filter on a large image.

stuff like malwarebytes and foxit are not cpu-intensive and should not
cause major cpu load at all.
Old January 12th 21, 08:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Jan 12, 2021, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In article
l-september.org, Bill
W wrote:

[...]

into task manager, but it¹s helpful, so wait. If it¹s Adobe tying
everything up, then take nospam¹s advice, and reinstall everything. If
something else is responsible, let us know what it is. I have had very
similar problems from Malwarybytes, Foxit Reader, and one or two others. If
it something else, then you have to kill those programs, or uninstall them,
and then talk to their customer support. My problems tended to come after
updates to programs, and reinstalling them will not fix that.

adobe shouldn't be hogging the cpu unless it's actively doing
something, such as a complex filter on a large image.

stuff like malwarebytes and foxit are not cpu-intensive and should not
cause major cpu load at all.

They were both broken after updates. MWB was CPU (not 100%, but enough to
cripple), and Foxit was disk read/write. And this was on a weaker spec’d
PC, and it was unusable when it was happening. I think Eric’s is an i7, and
better spec’d, but you never know. At the same time, Eric seems to have an
unusual number of huge issues with that PC. He might want to just start
over...

Old January 12th 21, 08:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
l-september.org, Bill
W wrote:

Go into task manager, and check for 100% (or close) CPU, memory, or disk
read/write usage. The problem will be that it might take forever just to
get
into task manager, but it1s helpful, so wait. If it1s Adobe tying
everything up, then take nospam1s advice, and reinstall everything. If
something else is responsible, let us know what it is. I have had very
similar problems from Malwarybytes, Foxit Reader, and one or two others.
If
it something else, then you have to kill those programs, or uninstall
them,
and then talk to their customer support. My problems tended to come after
updates to programs, and reinstalling them will not fix that.

adobe shouldn't be hogging the cpu unless it's actively doing
something, such as a complex filter on a large image.

stuff like malwarebytes and foxit are not cpu-intensive and should not
cause major cpu load at all.

They were both broken after updates. MWB was CPU (not 100%, but enough to
cripple), and Foxit was disk read/write. And this was on a weaker specd
PC, and it was unusable when it was happening.

something is broken. those apps aren't cpu-intensive.

I think Erics is an i7, and
better specd, but you never know. At the same time, Eric seems to have an
unusual number of huge issues with that PC. He might want to just start
over...

yep, with a new system. it's cursed.
Old January 12th 21, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Jan 12, 2021, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In article
l-september.org, Bill
W wrote:

[...]

cripple), and Foxit was disk read/write. And this was on a weaker spec¹d
PC, and it was unusable when it was happening.

something is broken. those apps aren't cpu-intensive.

The apps were broken - updates fixed both - but your suspicions that there
was more to it are correct. I had another PC right next to it that had the
same apps, and they did not affect that one in the same way. In fact, I might
not have noticed anything if I hadn’t known about it from the bad PC. The
problems with that PC would take me about a week to list. But that is why I
suggested to Eric that it might be another app. The problems he’s had, and
the workarounds he’s talked about remind me of my PC. I have never done a
clean install of Windows to fix any sort of problem, but I know that that
kind of stubbornness can lead to all sorts of headaches, like he has now, for
instance. Using a PC is not supposed to be a continuing science project, but
sometimes you just ask for it.

Even my MacBook has spit at me. I like the native mail app, but it crashes,
and it appears to be a common complaint. At least it hasn’t taken me weeks
to fix. And it might be okay, finally. And it’s been the only problem. And
apple support seems pretty good. And Google searches seem to lead quickly to
correct and useful answers on Apple questions. My next PC will certainly be
an M1, or an update to it, and probably the mini.

I think Eric¹s is an i7, and
better spec¹d, but you never know. At the same time, Eric seems to have an