Weirdness of camera pricing

Old December 27th 17, 05:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Noons

Default Weirdness of camera pricing

On 26/12/2017 2:16 @wiz, RichA wrote:
Olympus's E-M10III, a lesser camera than the E-M5II, is now $100.00 more expensive (in Canada) because of discounts on the E-M5II. This kind of price difference is the strange part of the camera world. Pentax's admittedly overpriced KP costs more than the vastly higher-spec'd K3II. Age of models is the key thing here. Though you don't see this happening much with Canon an Nikon and Sony has so many models that they all blur at the mid-end.

And that is why I've jumped off thios madness of constant upgrading.
My current digital camera is a EM5II and it will stay that way for a
looooong time!
Old December 28th 17, 03:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 12/26/2017 11:11 PM, Noons wrote:
On 26/12/2017 2:16 @wiz, RichA wrote:
Olympus's E-M10III, a lesser camera than the E-M5II, is now $100.00
more expensive (in Canada) because of discounts on the E-M5II. This
kind of price difference is the strange part of the camera world.
Pentax's admittedly overpriced KP costs more than the vastly
higher-spec'd K3II.Â* Age of models is the key thing here. Though you
don't see this happening much with Canon an Nikon and Sony has so many
models that they all blur at the mid-end.

And that is why I've jumped off thios madness of constant upgrading.
My current digital camera is a EM5II and it will stay that way for a
looooong time!

Warning: OT mini rant:
That is true about a lot of things: On a much smaller level, It helped
my business image, to wear the latest trend in ties. When the latest in
fashion ties went out of fashion, I kept them in my closet until they
came back into fashion. (which they did.) I now have several hundred
ties that are going to the Salvation Army.

Back OT. If a piece of equipment is doing a satisfactory job, keep it.
For me photography, and production of images is the fun. For others, the
fun may be collecting cameras and lenses. Some spend over ten grand for
a lens that gets used, maybe two days a year. I won't criticize them for
it. it's their money and they can do as they like with it, so long they
are not using it to hurt me.
IOW I like the "madness of upgrading." I keeps the prices of cameras I
like to user affordable for me.

--
PeterN