Where I keep my spare cats.

Old May 23rd 17, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Where I keep my spare cats.

On Mon, 22 May 2017 16:24:32 -0700, Savageduck

On 2017-05-22 23:20:16 +0000, nospam said:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

You have to open it to know what's in it...

Why would I want to know what's in it I'm not a cat ?

It was a reference to an infamous remark by one of our politicians.

Are you trying to confuse Schrodinger, or is this a proposition from
Wittgenstein?

Pelosi...

However, I was making a veiled reference to Schrodinger's Cat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger%27s_cat

Hmmm, that attachment could be both a virus AND a benign text file at
the same time! AVG has some work to do...

It could be absolutely nothing but a figment of ones imagination.

What quantum methods can I use to convert all my recent PC issues to
that figment? There must be a way. And then another way to make me
forget them.

the easiest way is to get a mac

...and to understand the condition of the Mac, you have to look in the box.

But I still won't *know*...
Old May 23rd 17, 01:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Mon, 22 May 2017 19:20:16 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

You have to open it to know what's in it...

Why would I want to know what's in it I'm not a cat ?

It was a reference to an infamous remark by one of our politicians.

Are you trying to confuse Schrodinger, or is this a proposition from
Wittgenstein?

Pelosi...

However, I was making a veiled reference to Schrodinger's Cat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger%27s_cat

Hmmm, that attachment could be both a virus AND a benign text file at
the same time! AVG has some work to do...

It could be absolutely nothing but a figment of ones imagination.

What quantum methods can I use to convert all my recent PC issues to
that figment? There must be a way. And then another way to make me
forget them.

the easiest way is to get a mac

Okay, that was too easy...

Old May 23rd 17, 01:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 5/22/2017 11:18 AM, PAS wrote:
On 5/19/2017 6:57 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 5/19/2017 2:19 PM, PAS wrote:
On 5/19/2017 1:29 PM, David B. wrote:
On 5/19/2017 6:13 PM, PAS wrote:
[....]
My wife and I have been, thankfully, spared the loss of a child. But
we have lost some dogs over the years. My wife was not always the
dog lover I am. We got our first dog when our youngest of two sons
was an infant so she had her priorities and it wasn't a new dog, that
was mine. Fast forward about 26 years and we got a dog after going
about five years without one. My wife named her Maya and she was an
awesome dog. She was a bear-coat Shar Pei which you don't see often

As a puppy: http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Pets/Maya/i-WNFH8Rd/A

Full-grown: http://www.pete-the-greek.com/Pets/Maya/i-fp8xSGf/A

Wow! :-) I've never seen such a dog! Thanks for sharing the
photographs.

Maya died two years ago at the age of 5 1/2. To say my wife was
devastated is an understatement. She was attached to that dog in a
way I had never seen. There are days where I still find her crying
over Maya.

I'm saddened to learn of your loss. I, too, have cried over the loss
of my pets over the years. They do, as you know, become a part of you.

They certainly do become part of us. We have two now, Bella and Bubba.
Bubba is from the same litter as Maya was. Bella is six months younger
from the same father but different mother. We haven't had Bubba since
he was a pup, we only had Maya at the time. Bella came six months
later. A family on Long Island not far from us bought Bubba. Three
years ago they decided they had to give him up. The couple who bought
him had a baby at the time and three years later had another one. Her
mother was going to care for the two children while the mother went back
to work but she was allergic to dogs so they gave him up. When you buy
a dog from the breeder we got them from, you agree that if you decide to
give up the dog for any reason then you must give the breeder first
opportunity to take the dog. The breeder is in North Carolina, quite a
distance from Long Island. The couple was being difficult and they were
adamant that they would give the breeder one week to come and get the
dog or else they would send him to a shelter. She was upset about this
because she couldn't get to Long Island within a week - she has a family
and a job and what-not to attend to. She asked us if we would take
Bubba until a suitable place was found for him. We agreed immediately
and after having him for a day, we decided we would keep him. He's a
timid dog but a good boy. I wonder what causes him to be so timid
because he avoids being pet most of the time, as if he is afraid. I
wonder how he was treated by his other family.

My guess is that he was never properly socialized, or that he is upset
over his change of pack leader. You cannot force him to do anything.
Talk softly to him at all times. Hopefully he won't become aggressive
out of fear. Try frequent hand feeding with treats. I assume he will
let you brush him. If so, give him treats while brushing, and every
so often substitute your hand for a brush.

I am sure he was not socialized, rarely taken out of the house. He's a
good boy, very timid but loving. He loves me to chase him around in the
yard. He dares me to chase him when I want him to come inside and he
just comes up to the door and backs away. In August it will be three
years that he's been with us. He acclimated fairly quickly but he did
come from a home with no other dogs. No doubt he was a confused dog
wondering why he was taken out of his home to a new one but he got along
with our dogs very well and that was a concern. If he was aggressive
towards our dogs then we wouldn't have kept him but he was the farthest
thing from that. He's pretty obedient too. Shar Peis require regular
ear cleanings and Maya and Bella fought it. Bubba just lies down and
lets me do it. He doesn't like but he doesn't fight it. We are very
happy with our decision to keep him.

That's nice to hear.

BTW When I saw your website, I had to look twice. If you recall, Pete
the Greek was Joey Gallo's bodyguard. as things turned out, he wasn't
very good at it.

--
PeterN
Old May 23rd 17, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 5/22/2017 7:20 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Bill W
wrote:

You have to open it to know what's in it...

Why would I want to know what's in it I'm not a cat ?

It was a reference to an infamous remark by one of our politicians.

Are you trying to confuse Schrodinger, or is this a proposition from
Wittgenstein?

Pelosi...

However, I was making a veiled reference to Schrodinger's Cat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger%27s_cat

Hmmm, that attachment could be both a virus AND a benign text file at
the same time! AVG has some work to do...

It could be absolutely nothing but a figment of ones imagination.

What quantum methods can I use to convert all my recent PC issues to
that figment? There must be a way. And then another way to make me
forget them.

the easiest way is to get a mac

You are soooo predictable.

--
PeterN

Old May 24th 17, 12:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
gray_wolf@howling_mad.org

On Fri, 19 May 2017 14:19:44 -0400, PAS wrote:

On 5/19/2017 1:29 PM, David B. wrote:
On 5/19/2017 6:13 PM, PAS wrote:
[....]
[...]

Stunning Shar Peis you have! I love the asian breeds Shar Pei, Akita
and Chow Chow. I've had Chows for the past 30+ years

Old May 24th 17, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

Whisky-dave
Tue, 23
May 2017 08:58:23 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

I'd I'd never take orders from someone telling me to download
their zip as it;s in my best interest and I dontl listen to peole
that think they are better than me because of the car they drive
the computer they own or the news reader they use.

ROFL. That's all well and good, but, I'm not one for issuing orders. I
tend to duck management like responsibilities. I'm a hands on
person. Have no desire to lead, issue orders, or bark orders for that
matter.

Old May 24th 17, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

nospam
Mon, 22 May 2017
17:15:47 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

In article , Diesel
wrote:

That does *not* mean malware written specifically to take
advantage of mac users doesn't exist. infact, it does.

it does, but it's rare and relies on the user to do something
stupid. the exploit is not the mac, but the person using it.

Most malware relies on stupid users...With some notable
exceptions. And, it's not as rare as you seem to think. In fact,
it's on the rise. I've included some urls in this post, but a
simple search query for osx or mac malware would provide LOTS
more, if you actually wanted to educate yourself.

there are some theoretical exploits, but almost nothing in the
wild, certainly nowhere near that of windows.

While I agree with you that the malware issue number wise isn't
nearly as great as it is with Windows, I do disagree with you on the
idea that there's almost nothing in the wild. I've already provided
some urls describing some that are, infact, wild.

In the event you missed them, I've included some below:
https://arstechnica.com/security/201...d-for-2-years/
https://9to5mac.com/2016/07/06/backd...r-mac-malware/
http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs...e-in-the-wild/
https://www.howtogeek.com/210589/mac...mic-has-begun/
https://www.welivesecurity.com/2016/...y-credentials/

Macs are by no means, as secure from Malware as you may have thought.

it's *really* hard to pwn a mac unless the user grants permission,
which is why the user is targeted.

Ironically, if Windows users forgo the use of admin accounts and use
a restricted one while doing most of their surfing, the same applies
for Windows. And, it certainly applies for linux/unix based OSes.

MS made a mistake initially by having normal users run with admin
rights, most of the time, not even realizing they were. This isn't
the fault of the OS itself, it's the fault of improper security
policies and ignorance on the part of the user. The user is almost
always the weakest link in terms of security.

Hospitals don't routinely use Macs.

yes they do, as well as a significant number of ios devices.

In which country? The ones I've seen in the states are PC Based.
Not Mac. The VA in Johnson City, TN is PC based. Not mac.

Do you have specific hospitals that are mac and not PC based?

hospitals use macs, windows, linux, ios and android, depending on
the task.

That's a bit of a vague answer to my question.

The market share of Mac for a desktop is actually quite small. To
the point where it's still a 'niche' market.
https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...10&qpcustomd=0

the days of companies being a slave to one platform are *long*
gone, which is a very, very good thing.

While I don't disagree with you on the face of it, I've seen little
evidence locally supporting the idea you present. I make it a point
to checkout the computer system the dr, nurse, receptionist is using
anytime I have to visit a hospital or drs office, mostly when I'm
playing taxi service for a friend or relative. I haven't run across
many macs, but, I've run across all kinds of PCs running various
flavors of Windows.

Again, Windows (mostly Windows 7, despite Windows 10 being in
existance for sometime now) with a single specific MAC os following
a ways behind, and Linux being slightly behind that. As for the
older MAC OSX versions, they are practically non existant.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...10&qpcustomd=0

no one platform can do everything, nor should it.

That depends on what you mean by everything. But, I think we're
beginning to split hairs at this point, and, I see no reason to do
that.

Macs used to have the schools in the US on essential lockdown,
but, that's changed too. Now adays, kids are sent home with
Windows based laptops on lease from the school, typically
budget Dells (in this area)

nope. schools have mostly moved to chromebooks. there are also
a lot of ipads in use too.

Depends on what state/city you live in. As I said, in this area,
they are coming home with Dells, not macs.

for your particular city, it might be dell, but overall,
chromebooks have the lead and growing.

County rather, and, it's not the only one here.

As for the schools doing the chromebook thing:

https://www.eff.org/press/releases/g...y-tracks-stude
nts-internet- browsing-eff-says-complaint-federal-trade
https://www.eff.org/wp/school-issued...tudent-privacy

maybe so, but schools are still buying chromebooks, and the first
one is not specific to chromebooks.

Some schools are investing in the chromebooks, aka, wannabe laptops.
However, the majority of them are keeping in line with what the kid
is most likely going to be using at home and at work, if the kid has
a summer/after school job. That being, Windows. Not mac. Familiarity
with Linux is being taught in various schools now, though.

chromebooks are very well suited for schools for all sorts of
reasons.

It depends on the school and their IT cash flow situation. Poor
schools are more likely to opt for them.

linux on the desktop is such a tiny market share that it can be
ignored, which is what most software and hardware developers do.

You're misinformed. Linux has a fair share of software and hardware
developers supporting it, with more coming every day. You can even
buy various linux distro friendly mainboards that clearly advertise
they're linux friendly. Asus is one such maker. And, they aren't
small time.

it's so low that it's almost a round-off error, and its userbase
does not like to pay for anything either.

That's not true either. Some recent studies have indicated that
linux users are not only more likely to pay for commercial software
they'll use that runs on linux, but, they'll also pay a little more
than the equ Windows user would.

linux is suited for servers or embedded devices, not the desktop.

I would have to disagree with you. Nearly all the computers on this
network are running linux distros native. This is the only one that
actually runs a flavor of Windows native. And, I'm not alone. Many
of us are using linux these days.

You seem to grossly underestimate the knowledge I have on the
subject of Malware. I provided some links to some virus families
I wrote, personally. I also included the fact I was recruited to
work for a company known as Malwarebytes as an expert Malware
Researcher. I processed lots! of live, binary 0day, samples on a
weekly basis for them.

you grossly underestimate the knowledge i have about macintosh,
ios and apple itself. i've been writing mac apps since the mac
came out and ios apps for the past decade.

I'm not a mac fanboy, myself. But, I do have some experience writing
on the original macintosh with the built in crt. Prior to that, I
have experience writing on the Apple II family computers even going
so far as to do robotics with them, in the 2nd grade.

That was ages ago though. I had a choice when I moved beyond my
coco3 to go mac or PC, and, I chose PC. With that said, while I
don't doubt your knowledge concerning mac is mostly superior to my
own, I'm not foolish enough to think that malware doesn't affect mac
now. It most certainly does, and a considerable amount and growing
is infact, in the wild.

According to this website:
https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...10&qpcustomd=0

Mac OSX 10.12 makes up for approx 3.21% of the desktop market share,
where as Linux makes up for 2.09%. Windows 7 oth, makes up for 48.5%
of the desktop market. followed by Windows 10 which makes up for
26.28%

Prior versions of Mac OSX are so small, that Linux and Windows 8
surpasses them by a considerable margin.

Old May 24th 17, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

nospam
Mon, 22 May 2017
17:15:48 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

Too complicated for you to understand, I get it. That's probably
why you feel right at home on a Mac. They are good baby sitters
for those who don't know, or want to learn, how the machine in
front of them works. Apple prides itself on dumbing technology
down and charging you out the ass for it.

nonsense.

Do you have any reputable sites which dispute what I wrote?