Where I keep my spare cats.

Old May 29th 17, 07:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

Default Where I keep my spare cats.

Eric Stevens
Sat, 27 May 2017
23:18:08 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

On Sat, 27 May 2017 12:18:02 -0400, nospam
wrote:

the problem with that is a lot of windows apps won't work when run
from a non-admin account.

I've never encountered that. Please name some.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for that request to be honored anytime
soon. Based on what they've written so far, it appears that their
knowledge concerning MS security access rights as well as PCs in
general is shall we say, lacking. With that said, I'm aware of some
older specialized applications that are Windows based that will
require elevated access rights to to run, due to their designs. But,
these are for the most part, older programs. Developed primarily,
before proper security practices were semi enforced on the part of
MS.

For the most part, properly written applications today will run fine
without admin level rights. HH seems to be a bit out of touch with
reality as well. This is something they recently wrote:

"After all, one can't run an App which hasn't been installed."

An untrue statement. There was a point in time where apps didn't get
'installed' in the first place. You provided them a directory/folder
and they were self contained from there. And some/many apps today are
being written just like they USED TO BE, because various programmers
and advanced users alike realize the immediate benefits.

--
Nope, I can't go to hell.
Satan still has a restraining order against me.

Old May 29th 17, 07:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

nospam
Sat, 27 May 2017
15:34:51 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

In article
XnsA77F59908A676HT1@p8FUa01Ty2819Ab32KAEB4rM336pW n37.Fgt8w5hZ8tK7.
0YLdt t5ez6Q1Ql2L9, Diesel wrote:

Too complicated for you to understand, I get it. That's
probably why you feel right at home on a Mac. They are good
baby sitters for those who don't know, or want to learn, how
the machine in front of them works. Apple prides itself on
dumbing technology down and charging you out the ass for it.

nonsense.

Do you have any reputable sites which dispute what I wrote?

reputable sites don't refer to mac users as idiots who need
babysitters. only apple-bashers do that.

So you have no sites to offer?

See below if you want to get an idea of how much you're being ****ed
over. Btw, the Acer below is considerably more upgradable if you
wanted to do so. The all in one mac, due to it's very
design/case/etc, isn't.

Other than swapping out the HD and adding more ram, that is. With
the Acer, I can add another hard drive, internally; no swap
required. As well as the ram, the video card, the sound card, etc
etc etc. I can't changeout the sound card or video card on the mac.
I'm stuck with what it has. Thanks so much Apple. I can't add an
additional video card to the apple for quad display or coin mining,
either. I can with the Acer. And, if I wanted to mine coins,
I'd want more GPUS and the better CPU working together for faster
coin mining results. The apple won't lemme do that.

the prices of apple products are competitive for similar specs,
often *less* expensive.

We're discussing Apple computers, specifically. Do you have any
reputable sites that state an Apple computer costs about the same as
an equivalent PC? If so, please provide url(s)...

for instance, the retina imac 5k costs about the same as a dell 5k
display, which is just a display, no computer. you have to add the
cost of the computer, which makes it quite a bit more expensive
than the imac.

You aren't making a fair comparison, here.

And the retina imac 5k had/still has? issues with backlighting and
it's not exactly the speediest machine available, either. They took
an older machine and gave it a new video panel, essentially.
http://www.alphr.com/apple/apple-imac-1

But, as I said, this isn't a fair comparison. Especially when you
consider that it's an all in one, and not just a display that can be
connected to other computers...Unlike the Dell you picked for price
comparison purposes..Which is a bit pricey, considering other
options...

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac

I'm assuming you picked the Dell because of it's high price, and,
made no effort to see what other companies were offering theirs for.
So, I did it for you:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-J3G14A8-AB.../dp/B00VO85RY6

Thats a commercial grade one, too.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...28&ignorebbr=1

i7 (all retina imacs are i5) CPU, twice the ram, twice the HD
space...If compared to the prior two Apple Imacs with 5k retina
otherwise, HD space is the same, ram isn't, and cpu is lacking on
the Apple. The apple is using an i5. The acer is using an i7 with a
higher clock frequency before 'turbo boost'

Price for the only Imac with retina that has the same HD size, but
half the ram, and i5 cpu (where as the Acer has an i7): 2299.99

monitor: 1399.74 - new in the box, 899.99 (used like new)
System.: 769.99 - new in the box
total cost:
2169.93 if all new
1669.98 if going with 'used like new' monitor
Neither price includes shipping.

Near equ apple (less ram, less cpu power) 2299.99

PC gives you choices, lots and lots of choices. Apple, ehh, not so
much, no. Not so good on equ machines either here, the Acer ships with
twice as much ram, and, a more advanced cpu:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...core-i5-vs-i7/

I know which one I'd go with, if I was in the market for the 5k
display and a suitable machine to mate with it. G

the samsung galaxy s8 costs *more* than a similar iphone, as did
the galaxy note 7 before it was recalled.

Again, you aren't making a fair comparison here, either.

if you want to see charging out the ass, look no further than
microsoft.

the price of the microsoft surface studio is about *double* the
price of a similar apple imac, with the only tangible difference
being that the surface studio display pivots and supports touch.

Well, you claimed that about the retina display, and, I've proven
you wrong already. so unless you're willing to provide specs on what
you think an equ imac is for fact checking I'm not going to take
what you've written at face value.

Old May 29th 17, 12:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 5:22:48 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
-hh wrote:

Where "benefit of the doubt" is to deliberately ignore prior
statements and free clues, so as to try to brag about your own
supposed knowledge.

Interesting how you try to spin what you did...that is, to brag
about your supposed superior knowledge of IT to my own.

No, merely pointed out that you had repeatedly missed information
which had already been provided.

In my case, as David Brooks can also vouch for, ...

What part of "Don't Care" do you not understand, PSL?

I haven't been bragging about anything, as, it's not bragging if
you can back it up, anyhow.

Its bragging when it is effectually off-topic.

Sorry, but that URL fails to do what you've claimed. Please try
again.

I provided additional details that you conveniently, snipped.

Irrelevant, because what you claimed was wrong.
Both times.

But since your claimed visit here was merely to "WARN" the
readership about David, anything more is a clear goal posts move.

Initially, the purpose of my visit, ...

"Initially" = a goal post move is coming

But, there's been no efforts of any kind on my part to move any goal posts.

"And yet you're still here". /S

And still haven't shared any of your photography.

That's not true, either.

Its possible I've overlooked it. Cite please.

Kid, since I've already mentioned some of them, you needing to ask
again shows just how much you're a Painfully Slow Learner (PSL).

My question was more of a smartass one, ...

Which is what immature kids do.

Btw, I often use I-81 to get from ...

But Dustin did say he doesn't divulge locations ... remember?

Post snippage in the manner you're doing it is a newbie troll method.

Here's the rest of what you snipped:

Btw, I often use I-81 to get from city to city and state to state
when I don't feel like using backroads. Sometimes though, the
backroads are actually faster. But, it depends on time of day, road
conditions, etc.

city to city and state to state is certainly divulging locations, right?
Very specific, no doubt. right?

First of all, I-81 already divulges a geographical constraint.

Second, it was significantly narrowed upon mention of Johnson City, TN,
which is just the other side of I-81 from Kingsport. And when you've
now also volunteered "State to State", you're firmed up even further,
as this region of TN has NC and VA within ~20 minutes.

Now granted, you may not be in Kingsport anymore as you never did
own that small house ... there's nothing wrong with being a renter.

And given the condition of the landscaping, it does look more like the
level of "pride of ownership" that a renter does (vs a homeowner).

Keep on shooting yourself in your own foot, kid...er PSL.

LOL, You blew your entire foot off, already:

"After all, one can't run an App which hasn't been installed."

That's just one stupid statement you've written.

*sigh* Kid, it requires Admin authority to run the chmod command, and
without granting the appropriate "+x", your user's .exe file won't run.

It was never unique to GG...You do have other web browser
friendly options, but they aren't all 'free'

You keep claiming that, but still haven't cited even but one such
example. And that's also entirely your failing, no one else's.

Indeed, I have claimed it, because it's true.

Sorry, but you missed substantiating your claim by the deadline.

Here's four:

http://easynews.com/
http://www.fastusenet.org/

Looks like these two may work okay, but you've not shown that they're
more 'secure' than GG can be in terms of IP masking, etc. As such,
you've failed to show any meaningful differentiation over current.

http://gogousenet.com/

No, it doesn't appear to have a full feed (just a few alt.binaries* groups).

https://www.altbinaries.com/?d=usenetstorm.com

No, it doesn't appear to support html web access (requires an App)

So not only are you late, your work is still quite incomplete by
the standards that you've set for yourself..

-hh
Old May 30th 17, 05:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

-hh
Mon, 29
May 2017 11:19:02 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

[snip]

"And yet you're still here". /S

Does that bother you?

And still haven't shared any of your photography.

That's not true, either.

Its possible I've overlooked it. Cite please.

It's in this thread...

city to city and state to state is certainly divulging locations,
right? Very specific, no doubt. right?

First of all, I-81 already divulges a geographical constraint.

I wasn't aware that the state I reside in was unknown, OR, a 'big
secret'

[snip more clueless rants]

Keep on shooting yourself in your own foot, kid...er PSL.

LOL, You blew your entire foot off, already:

"After all, one can't run an App which hasn't been installed."

That's just one stupid statement you've written.

*sigh* Kid, it requires Admin authority to run the chmod command,
and without granting the appropriate "+x", your user's .exe file
won't run.

ROFL.

Let's go over a few reasons you're wrong.

1) chmod is an attribution settings command, not an installer. While
it does require admin rights to be used, it doesn't apply in the case
of Xnews.

2) Linux doesn't require the file extension .exe to denote an
executable. Windows itself doesn't either...(I'm waiting for you to
try and argue that it does, then, I'll correct you again. g)

3) Xnews is a native Windows PE32bit executable. It runs under Wine
in linux, so, doesn't require my specifically setting the executable
bit beforehand. As, without Wine, the distro of Linux I run can't
execute it for me, even if I did set the appropriate bit. It's not a
native ELF executable, but, a Windows PE32bit executable instead.

4) Xnews is a portable app. It doesn't require my running an
installer in Windows OR Linux. I'm free to copy the folder itself to
any Windows/Linux machine I like and run it. Without admin rights.
Despite the fact I need admin rights to install Wine, that's still
not Xnews. And once Wine is installed, I don't need admin rights to
run Xnews under it.

So, short of my attempting to use it on a corporate configured system
with restrictive policy settings, it will run without being
installed, and, without having to have admin rights to use it. I
can't think of a legitimate reason off hand that I'd need to be using
a usenet client while using company equipment, either. Let alone
bringing something with me on a USB stick, cd-r, etc, and being
allowed to introduce the program to a machine I don't own or have any
real control over. I'd expect that to violate one or more company
policies, actually. I'd be very surprised if it didn't.

I'm getting the impression that you aren't a programmer or coder
(yes, there's a subtle difference between the two; aside from the
slang aspect)...

Old May 30th 17, 12:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 12:58:37 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
-hh wrote:

[snip]

"And yet you're still here". /S

Does that bother you?

To show how you're being a hypocrite? On the contrary!

And still haven't shared any of your photography.

That's not true, either.

Its possible I've overlooked it. Cite please.

It's in this thread...

Ah, *one* photo of a cat, overlooked. See, I made a mistake.
Although within the scope of RPD critiquing, that is a pretty crappy
image (mostly composition). So how about one that's not crap?

city to city and state to state is certainly divulging locations,
right? Very specific, no doubt. right?

First of all, I-81 already divulges a geographical constraint.

I wasn't aware that the state I reside in was unknown, OR, a 'big
secret'

[snip more clueless rants]

Translation:
a "snip" to try to disrupt association to Kingsport & Johnson City, TN.

Keep on shooting yourself in your own foot, kid...er PSL.

LOL, You blew your entire foot off, already:

"After all, one can't run an App which hasn't been installed."

That's just one stupid statement you've written.

*sigh* Kid, it requires Admin authority to run the chmod command,
and without granting the appropriate "+x", your user's .exe file
won't run.

ROFL.

Let's go over a few reasons you're wrong.

1) chmod is an attribution settings command, not an installer. While
it does require admin rights to be used, it doesn't apply in the case
of Xnews.

Yet Admin is still a required step.

2) Linux doesn't require the file extension .exe to denote an
executable. Windows itself doesn't either...(I'm waiting for you to
try and argue that it does, then, I'll correct you again. g)

OS's require that the file .. regardless of its extension .. be identified
as an executable; on systems which use chmod, that's how its done.

3) Xnews is a native Windows PE32bit executable. It runs under Wine
in linux, so, doesn't require my specifically setting the executable
bit beforehand...[4] Despite the fact I need admin rights to install Wine,
that's still not Xnews. And once Wine is installed, I don't need admin
rights to run Xnews under it.

Since you can't run it without Wine, and Wine isn't part of the OS and
it required Admin to install, you're dead in the water. my basic point
still applies and stands.

So, short of my attempting to use it on a corporate configured system
with restrictive policy settings, ...

Sorry, but there is no "short of", as the point was for something that
will run anywhere, *including* from restrictively configured systems.

I can't think of a legitimate reason off hand that I'd need to be using
a usenet client while using company equipment, either. Let alone
bringing something with me on a USB stick, cd-r, etc, and being
allowed to introduce the program to a machine I don't own or have
any real control over. I'd expect that to violate one or more company
policies, actually. I'd be very surprised if it didn't.

Yup, which merely means that you've _finally_ realized why then the
existing browser is the solution approach. Golly, it took you long enough, kid.

I'm getting the impression that you aren't a programmer or coder
(yes, there's a subtle difference between the two; aside from the
slang aspect)...

Still trying to compensate for you never having a real paid job doing either.

-hh
Old May 30th 17, 10:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

-hh

-hh wrote:

[snip]

"And yet you're still here". /S

Does that bother you?

To show how you're being a hypocrite? On the contrary!

I'm being a hypocrite how exactly?

Ah, *one* photo of a cat, overlooked. See, I made a mistake.
Although within the scope of RPD critiquing, that is a pretty
crappy image (mostly composition). So how about one that's not
crap?

Indeed, it's a downright ****ty image. Taken on a pile of ****sor
stickpen camera of all things. Due to previous stalking efforts by a
certain well known stalker, I tend not share any decent quality
pictures online with people I don't know. The pic you've seen does
the job for it's intended purpose. Bug, wouldn't have cared if I used
a high res one instead.

Translation:
a "snip" to try to disrupt association to Kingsport & Johnson
City, TN.

Your translator algorithms need work.

Keep on shooting yourself in your own foot, kid...er PSL.

LOL, You blew your entire foot off, already:

"After all, one can't run an App which hasn't been installed."

That's just one stupid statement you've written.

*sigh* Kid, it requires Admin authority to run the chmod
command, and without granting the appropriate "+x", your user's
.exe file won't run.

ROFL.

Let's go over a few reasons you're wrong.

1) chmod is an attribution settings command, not an installer.
While it does require admin rights to be used, it doesn't apply
in the case of Xnews.

Yet Admin is still a required step.

That depends entirely on the OS. So, required is a bit premature on
your part.

2) Linux doesn't require the file extension .exe to denote an
executable. Windows itself doesn't either...(I'm waiting for you
to try and argue that it does, then, I'll correct you again. g)

OS's require that the file .. regardless of its extension .. be
identified as an executable; on systems which use chmod, that's
how its done.

Not exactly. The OS loader (I'm dumbing this down for you; I can tell
you're not a coder) reads file header data, that data determines if
it's an executable, what kind it is, and how to load it into memory
to execute it. the executable bit for systems which use it isn't
doing what you thought. That's granting permission to RUN it, not
determine what the file itself actually is.

3) Xnews is a native Windows PE32bit executable. It runs under
Wine in linux, so, doesn't require my specifically setting the
executable bit beforehand...[4] Despite the fact I need admin
rights to install Wine, that's still not Xnews. And once Wine is
installed, I don't need admin rights to run Xnews under it.

Since you can't run it without Wine, and Wine isn't part of the OS
and it required Admin to install, you're dead in the water. my
basic point still applies and stands.

Well, no, because you claimed originally that applications had to be
installed...Not all of them require installation. Then, you tried to
claim you had to have admin rights to install them, you don't always
need that either. In Xnews native environment, (which is windows)
admin rights are not required to install or run it, unless you want
to move the goalposts (as you've done several times now since making
your initial statement) and discuss system policies which may be in
effect on the machine. Btw, Xnews actually runs on win9x systems as
well as Windows NT based ones, and you don't have normal user and
seperate admin rights on windows9x...

I can't run it on LINUX without Wine, because it's not a native LINUX
application. By the same token, once Wine is installed, I do not need
admin rights to use Xnews on the linux machine.

So, short of my attempting to use it on a corporate configured
system with restrictive policy settings, ...

Sorry, but there is no "short of", as the point was for something
that will run anywhere, *including* from restrictively configured
systems.

When you made your initial statement, it wasn't. You've added further
revisions to your statement when I educated you on the concept of
portable apps that require no installer, and, have no installer. In
an effort to save face, because, being the end user you are, you
didn't know about apps that don't require installation.

Which indicates to me atleast you might be exaggerating concerning
the length of time you have in the world of IT. Installers didn't
originally come with apps; that was later. Much later. Computers have
been 'dumbed down' considerably since I started with them, so I don't
blame you for not knowing about the way in which the majority used to
treat software. Or how the majority of software was used back in the
day, and, is making a comeback...History does have a funny way of
repeating itself, sometimes.

If a system is correctly configured with policy settings, it's most
likely going to have a restricted network access policy and likewise
restricted internet access policy as well; which most likely will
deny access to google groups via web browser. And, I've already
covered how easily that can be enforced; which renders your excuse
for accessing usenet in that manner, null and void for your example.

I can't think of a legitimate reason off hand that I'd need to be
using a usenet client while using company equipment, either. Let
alone bringing something with me on a USB stick, cd-r, etc, and
being allowed to introduce the program to a machine I don't own
or have any real control over. I'd expect that to violate one or
more company policies, actually. I'd be very surprised if it
didn't.

Yup, which merely means that you've _finally_ realized why then
the existing browser is the solution approach. Golly, it took you
long enough, kid.

See above.

I'm getting the impression that you aren't a programmer or coder
(yes, there's a subtle difference between the two; aside from the
slang aspect)...

Still trying to compensate for you never having a real paid job
doing either.

http://picpaste.com/HlZsFJlY.jpg

You accused me of bragging for that and some other stuff, previously.
I also asked you if you thought being paid to write software while
still in elementary school counted as an IT job, and, you never
answered that question, either...

I also fail to see what your failed snide remark has to do with what
I wrote? I also couldn't help but notice that you don't know the
difference between the two? I'm not surprised.

So much for you knowing more than myself about this stuff, or, My
being an average joe. David Brooks never fails to pick far less
than comparable skillset persons to compete with me. ROFL. He's
reliable like that.

Old May 30th 17, 10:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 30/05/2017 22:05, Diesel said ...

Dustin - you are ****ed! :-P

--
The only people who make a difference are the people who believe they can.
Old May 31st 17, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

"David B." news:jGlXA.161806$uL3.32370
@fx04.fr7 Tue, 30 May 2017 21:41:35 GMT in rec.photo.digital, wrote:

On 30/05/2017 22:05, Diesel said ...

David Brooks never fails to pick far less
than comparable skillset persons to compete with me. ROFL. He's
reliable like that.

Dustin - you are ****ed! :-P

ROFL. If I didn't know you as well as I do, I'd almost (well, no not
really) believe what you have to say. As it is though, you're a known
stalker who uses people to stalk and harass others whenever you can
until they realize what you're doing.

http://picpaste.com/U5np7XvN.jpg

A pic, to semi remain on topic.

Old May 31st 17, 02:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 8:30:48 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:
"David B. wrote:

On 30/05/2017 22:05, Diesel said ...

David Brooks never fails to pick far less
than comparable skillset persons to compete with me. ROFL. He's
reliable like that.

Dustin - you are ****ed! :-P

ROFL. If I didn't know you as well as I do, I'd almost (well, no not
really) believe what you have to say. As it is though, you're a known
stalker who uses people to stalk and harass others whenever you can
until they realize what you're doing.

And what Dustin is currently doing ... isn't stalking & harassment? /S

"Dance, puppet, Dance!".

-hh

--
http://www.huntzinger.com/photo/2010/GEnie_mug.jpg

Old May 31st 17, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Diesel

-hh

"David B. wrote:

On 30/05/2017 22:05, Diesel said ...

David Brooks never fails to pick far less
than comparable skillset persons to compete with me. ROFL.
He's reliable like that.

Dustin - you are ****ed! :-P

ROFL. If I didn't know you as well as I do, I'd almost (well, no
not really) believe what you have to say. As it is though, you're
a known stalker who uses people to stalk and harass others
whenever you can until they realize what you're doing.

And what Dustin is currently doing ... isn't stalking &
harassment? /S

I'm not stalking David, and, I'm not harassing him simply by
responding to his bull**** posts. Are you able to defend your
statement, or, will it be like the other erroneous ones you've
written already?

"Dance, puppet, Dance!".

Awe...I'm really sorry about deflating your ego a bit. Okay, more
than a bit, but, I didn't start off by making the assumptions you did
about someone you know nothing about. I waited and conversed with
you, a bit, first. Had you done the same, you would have known better
than to try and talk down to me concerning IT.

You started off trying to label me as a troll, now who's being
obvious about being one? :-)