How To Detect Snapshooters from Photographers (was: Reason for so many focus errors we see today?)

Old June 29th 09, 06:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Default How To Detect Snapshooters from Photographers

Ron Hunter wrote:

ASAAR wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 15:26:10 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

It's easy to see how much a poster values their communications --
it's indicated by the care they take to make them clear and
comprehensible. There's no point in reading posts which the author
himself clearly thinks are worthless.

I am not able to judge, and wouldn't try, the value of my posts, if any,
for any single individual. For some, they may be useful, for others a
crashing waste of time. In any case, I have no interest in spending
several hours a day on newsgroups so that I can edit every post I make
in order to squeeze every non-essential byte from the post.

heavily edited for brevity

I'll close with this. Hours? At your advanced age, time should
seem to be advancing much more rapidly, not more slowly!

And you assume this is the only newsgroup to which I post?
It is one of those I post LEAST to.

Hello, Ron:

According to Google Groups,, you're the all-time top poster, here
in news:rec.photo.digital. It's also the group, in which you've
contributed your most articles:

rec.photo.digital - 15,000+ (starting in January, 2002)

All newsgroups - 35,500+ (starting in December, 2001)

You've certainly been pretty damned prolific, Ron! g

Cordially,
John Turco
Old June 29th 09, 08:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

John Turco wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:

heavily edited for brevity

times as much time each day in newsgroups as I currently do.
I have reached an age where I am very aware of the ticking of the clock,
and I would rather have my pleasure than spend my seconds of life
editing newsgroup posts. If you don't like that attitude, by all means
add me to your 'twit list'. Life is way too short to waste doing
something you don't need to do, and which gives you no pleasure.

Hello, Ron:

They're "ganging up" on you, old man! g Seriously, your lack of editing
skill seems to be the rule (rather than the exception), on Usenet.

Incidentally, everybody must be aware of "the ticking of the clock," at
one time or another. Regardless of age, life can end suddenly, due to
accidents, natural disasters, etc.

Cordially,
John Turco

Yes, and yesterday I got word that another of my brother's clock wound
down. He was found lying in his back yard, dead, hands clutching at his
chest. They estimate he died some time Saturday afternoon. Another
trip, another funeral. We were 9, now we are 4. He was 77. He is the
one who taught me many things, photography was one of them, using his
Argus C3.
Old June 29th 09, 08:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

John Turco wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
ASAAR wrote:
[...]

Does that include the Mozilla server groups? If not, then you should
probably double that count.
Old June 29th 09, 01:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
whisky-dave

Default How To Detect Snapshooters from Photographers (was: Reason for so many focus errors we see today?)

"Eric Stevens" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:28:58 +0100, "whisky-dave"
wrote:

Do you honestly think that any automatic focusing system in the world is
ever going to be smart enough to figure out if you want the leading edge
of
that small-butterfly's wing, the antennae, or the further wing edges in
precise focus?

Yes in a manor of speaking. The new Apple iPhone, when used as a camera
you touch the screen to select what you want the camera to focus on.

Some Nikon [e.g. D300] cameras allow you to select the point of the
image you wish to focus on.

How do they do that, or how it is achived. ?

Old June 29th 09, 02:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_4_]

wrote:

Do you honestly think that any automatic focusing system in the world is
ever going to be smart enough to figure out if you want the leading edge
of
that small-butterfly's wing, the antennae, or the further wing edges in
precise focus?

Yes in a manor of speaking. The new Apple iPhone, when used as a camera
you touch the screen to select what you want the camera to focus on.

Some Nikon [e.g. D300] cameras allow you to select the point of the
image you wish to focus on.

How do they do that, or how it is achived. ?

For the iPhone I suspect there is a programmed option, how it is
implemented, I would just be guessing.

As far as the D300 and some other Nikon DSLRs go, up to 51 focus points
including 51 point 3D tracking, manually selectable using the multi
selector, single point AF, dynamic area AF, predictive focus tracking
(51 pnt 3D tracking), Auto-area AF.

....and then there is manual focus as a final option.

Savageduck

Old June 29th 09, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
whisky-dave

On 2009-06-29 05:44:41 -0700, "whisky-dave"

wrote:

Yes in a manor of speaking. The new Apple iPhone, when used as a
camera
you touch the screen to select what you want the camera to focus on.

Some Nikon [e.g. D300] cameras allow you to select the point of the
image you wish to focus on.

How do they do that, or how it is achived. ?

For the iPhone I suspect there is a programmed option, how it is
implemented, I would just be guessing.

As far as the D300 and some other Nikon DSLRs go, up to 51 focus points
including 51 point 3D tracking, manually selectable using the multi
selector, single point AF, dynamic area AF, predictive focus tracking (51
pnt 3D tracking), Auto-area AF.

So you have to decide what you want in focus before taking the shot.
For me that's another thing to add to shutter delay.

If you're taking a shot and you have a cobweb in the corner of the shot
a potrait of a person wearign a hat in the centre and a UFO flying above
thier head
how would the camra know where to focus.
Easy if you have spot AF, but that makes framing difficult.
It'd be nice to be able to get home and them decide which of the 3 (in this
case)
images should be the sharp, one, two or all 3.
I guess I could always dig out my old Polaroid Land 110B with the f64 stop
pin hole,
but I don't think I can get the film, and it won't fit in my pocket like my
P&S

I'd prefer to focus after the pictures been taken, perhaps not possible yet,
but in the future I believe that it will be possible, and I don't mean by
artificially
sharpening via contrast control.

...and then there is manual focus as a final option.

Although I don't do it that much, it is/would be still my preferred method

Old June 29th 09, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

"whisky-dave" wrote:
"Savageduck" wrote in message

As far as the D300 and some other Nikon DSLRs go, up to 51 focus points
including 51 point 3D tracking, manually selectable using the multi
selector, single point AF, dynamic area AF, predictive focus tracking (51
pnt 3D tracking), Auto-area AF.

So you have to decide what you want in focus before taking the shot.

Well, yeah, usually it is a good thing to decide what you want in focus
before taking the shot. For me that's standard practice, don't know
about others, thou.

For me that's another thing to add to shutter delay.

If you're taking a shot and you have a cobweb in the corner of the shot
a potrait of a person wearign a hat in the centre and a UFO flying above
thier head
how would the camra know where to focus.

At least my camera will cycle through different likely objects if you
release the half-pressed shutter and and then half-press it again.

Easy if you have spot AF, but that makes framing difficult.

Why? That's the other standard way I am using: if the camera doesn't get
the focus object right by the let's say the third try then move the
center to the desired object, half-press the shutter, re-frame, and
click.

...and then there is manual focus as a final option.

Although I don't do it that much, it is/would be still my preferred method

If all else fails, yes, as a last resort. Certainly not always but most
of the time automatic focus is more accurate, faster, and also quicker
to use.

jue
Old June 29th 09, 08:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 13:44:41 +0100, "whisky-dave"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Do you honestly think that any automatic focusing system in the world is
ever going to be smart enough to figure out if you want the leading edge
of
that small-butterfly's wing, the antennae, or the further wing edges in
precise focus?

Yes in a manor of speaking. The new Apple iPhone, when used as a camera
you touch the screen to select what you want the camera to focus on.

Some Nikon [e.g. D300] cameras allow you to select the point of the
image you wish to focus on.

How do they do that, or how it is achived. ?

See
http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/...mera-Pg2.shtml

Under the heading of 'Auto-area AF' you will see an animation of a
single focus point leaping around the view finder window. In fact it
doesn't leap: you move it around with the multi-control button which
acts as a set of cursor keys. You can work the button with your right
thumb while peering through the view finder.

Eric Stevens
Old June 29th 09, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_3_]

? "Savageduck" ?????? ??? ??????
On 2009-06-29 05:44:41 -0700, "whisky-dave"

wrote:

Do you honestly think that any automatic focusing system in the world
is
ever going to be smart enough to figure out if you want the leading
edge
of
that small-butterfly's wing, the antennae, or the further wing edges
in
precise focus?

Yes in a manor of speaking. The new Apple iPhone, when used as a
camera
you touch the screen to select what you want the camera to focus on.

Some Nikon [e.g. D300] cameras allow you to select the point of the
image you wish to focus on.

How do they do that, or how it is achived. ?

For the iPhone I suspect there is a programmed option, how it is
implemented, I would just be guessing.

My camcorder, the Sony DCR-HC32E (mini DV) has a touch screen, and you just
touch the point of the image, in real time, that you want to become the
focus point. Very clever, and easy!

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitris
major in electrical engineering

Old June 30th 09, 03:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
,
PatM wrote:

Didn't Canon come out with a camera a few years back that tracked your
eye so that the focus point was whereever you were looking. I'm sort
of vague on it but it was something like that, it seems.

they did indeed. it had to be calibrated for each user and didn't work
all that well nor has it been seen since.