How To Detect Snapshooters from Photographers (was: Reason for so many focus errors we see today?)

Old June 26th 09, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

Default How To Detect Snapshooters from Photographers

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:22:05 -0700, John Navas wrote:

When you act like a dick, expect to get treated like one.

Feel free, John, but then you have acted even worse from time to time.

I'm no worse than I think you are isn't a terribly good defense.

True, but Ron didn't say that. What he did say is more like "I'm
less worse than you *really* are.", or better, just read what he
wrote and interpret it correctly. He didn't write or imply "I'm no
worse", and your addition of "I think" shows that you weren't
thinking.

Old June 26th 09, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Lloyd W.

The OP wins (remember that blowhard?) and once again demonstrates how usenet
devours its own.

Old June 27th 09, 12:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default How To Detect Snapshooters from Photographers (was: Reason for so many focus errors we see today?)

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:28:58 +0100, "whisky-dave"
wrote:

"Truer Dat" wrote in message
.. .

The top #1 reason for so many focusing errors:

Idiots who have become dependent on automated focusing systems. Especially
those snapshooters who are so stupid as to justify their common user-error
by blaming it on materials, focusing systems, or camera designs.

I guess that's true but I wonder if such people[1] even consider checking
that
the camera is focusing on the image they want. I doubt it as when a person
has brought an auot focus camera they expect it to focus automatically.

Do you honestly think that any automatic focusing system in the world is
ever going to be smart enough to figure out if you want the leading edge
of
that small-butterfly's wing, the antennae, or the further wing edges in
precise focus?

Yes in a manor of speaking. The new Apple iPhone, when used as a camera
you touch the screen to select what you want the camera to focus on.

Some Nikon [e.g. D300] cameras allow you to select the point of the
image you wish to focus on.

In the near future I expect camera will use this technology in that they'll
store
a picture(s) with varying points of focus a bit like auto-bracking for
exposure
but with focus, you'll then have the option to tape on teh LCD where you
want the
best focus point and teh camera will select that stored image deleteing the
others all done on-the-fly.

There's only so much that any auto-anything system will ever be able to
do.

I think they will do much more, not that it's really needed by those that
know
what they are doing, but that;s not a good marketing ploy is it.
You supply/offer what people want rather than what they actually need.
Stagnate and die.

This is why you have Snapshooters and Photographers. No photographer worth
his salt will ever depend on any automated focusing system.

They will start to depend on it as they have done with internal exposure
meters.
I remember the days when pros and even amateurs didn't 'depend' on the new
fangled
TTL metering systems.

Nor do they
ever expect that some point and shoot feature in any camera, all DSLRs
included, should be expected to do the work correctly for them. They know
better. Do you ever wholly depend on your camera's automatic metering
system too?

I think most people do and will use that meter reading as a starting point
at the very least.

That makes you a point and shoot Snapshooter, whether you use a
P&S camera or DSLR. Every real photographer on earth knows that the camera
will never be able to select the proper exposure for them. That's why they
like cameras with a handy EV compensation dial or toggle,

The EV compensation does rely on an intial reading.

always at the
ready. The camera might get you in the ballpark for focusing and exposure
settings but then you have to take it from there. That's what real
photographers always do.

And always will, years ago is it was cloudy, sunny or overcast you'd select
an
exposure to suit if you were out a little you'd correct it in the darkroom.

That's what snapshooters won't ever comprehend.
Instead they would rather loudly proclaim the meager benefits of RAW to
try
to recover their badly exposed and color-shifted shots, because they're
nothing but snapshooters in the first place.

People reveal much about their total lack of talent by what they find most
important in their cameras.

Like whether they are Nikon or Canon or Olympus etc....
Or even what shoes they wear, as comfortable shoes are important if you're
taking
photos, bad footwear is painful and may lead you to taking shaky photos.

[1] those that just buy a camera without really understanding the specs.

Eric Stevens
Old June 27th 09, 12:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

ASAAR wrote:

Ok, fair enough, and this reply of yours was even nicely formed,
with interspersed counterpoints following points. It's a good thing
I didn't hit a key to jump to the bottom of your reply or I would
have missed much of what you had to say.

nterspersed has its strong points, but following a complex thread
through several posters using it can get rather confusing to keep track
of who said what. Fortunately, it isn't used too much.
Old June 27th 09, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

John Navas wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:05:38 -0500, Ron Hunter
wrote in :

Is writing them more pleasurable than trimming? DARN RIGHT!

Why, since you claim you don't care if anyone reads it?
"The lad doth protest too much methinks!"

I write for my own pleasure. If someone reads it, and likes what I say,
or is helped by it, great. If they don't like it, or don't read it, I
really don't care.
I have been kicking around on the internet, and before that on Fidonet
for about 25 years, and have grown a pretty thick skin, and a back that
sheds flames, and insults pretty well. Getting all that upset about
something on newsgroups isn't worth the trouble.
Old June 27th 09, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Kennedy McEwen wrote:
In article , Ron Hunter
writes

Why do people with no ability in debating a subject always resort to
insults, and personal attacks when they run out of coherent arguments?

Precisely the point I was making about YOUR arrogant response!

I admit to arrogance, but then I don't have to resort to personal
attacks, or obscene language to make my point.
Old June 27th 09, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

JustaTroll wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:

JustaTroll wrote:

Or a kill-file... I get the impression he doesn't care one way or the
other.

- JT

You have it!

Yes, I do!

Now, notice that I have substantially changed the import of your message
by snipping. That is another reason I don't do it often.

I agree... What you did was "trim" out the parts you didn't wish to
reply to... It does btw change the original message context
. It does however make it quicker to read.

Best wishes to you Mr. Hunter... Snip or don't snip as you see fit, I'll
read or not read as I see fit.

- JT
isn't telling you or anyone else how to post messages to Usenet
Newsgroups

OK. Read the above, carefully, and then reply. If snipping is allowed,
what YOU appear to have written MAY be changed to look like something
entirely different. All I did was snip your message.

Old June 27th 09, 02:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 18:32:37 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

I have been kicking around on the internet, and before that on Fidonet
for about 25 years, and have grown a pretty thick skin, and a back that
sheds flames, and insults pretty well.

So that explains it, I've got at least 1/2 dozen years on you so
you're a newbie! And that's just considering modem use. My first
computer (completely hand built) preceded that by a good number of
years and it had no OS, just a simple monitor that had to be loaded
from paper tape, and the boot code to load the tape I/O routine into
memory had to be hand toggled into that same memory which at the
time was a whopping 8k bytes, soon to be expanded to 24k so I could
run a better BASIC interpreter. The first improvement for that
ancient system, before the added memory was a monitor in EPROM which
retired the paper tape.

I used several of those BBS networks, some of which were really
large multi-user BBS systems, and they often networked with other
multi-user BBSes. I even ran one (single user, non-network) for a
while. But before that was the first BBS, Ward and Randy's single
user system in Chicago back in the late 1970s. No charge to use it,
but at 300 (with luck) and more often connecting at 110 baud, long
distance rates made it only an occasional and very brief indulgence.

Getting all that upset about something on newsgroups
isn't worth the trouble.

There are a couple of guys from the old BBS networks that
habitually got themselves vacations from the moderated BBSes due to
repeatedly being abusive. A couple were quite knowledgeable and the
others much less so, though they didn't realize it. I've seen them
here in newsgroup_land. In some ways, not much has changed.

Old June 27th 09, 08:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

ASAAR wrote:
[...]

My computer experience goes back to 1964. I waited to get one of my own
until 1981, and didn't get 'online' until 1983. I ran a local BBS
system for 2.5 years, with an average 100 posts/day before shutting it
down in order to be able to use my computer more for my own purposes.
It was very interesting, and that is the only time I have not used my
real name online, although most of the regular posters knew who I was.
Old June 27th 09, 12:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Ron Hunter wrote:
John Navas wrote:

Please trim huge quotes to just a relevant portion, not the whole thing.
Thanks.

Maybe you have the time to do that, or a newsreader that makes it
easy, but I have neither.

Thank you for informing us that we, your audience, aren't
worth even 3 seconds of consideration.

Skipping to the end is vastly easier,

1000 times skipping is faster than one time snipping? Don't make
me laugh.

and
unless you are one of the 5% of people who are still using dialup for
newsgroup access, why bother?

Please be informed, that at least I, as part of your audience,
feel that you have in the balance nothing valuable to add if you
don't even manage basic courtesy. I will negatively score your
postings accordingly. Why should I bother to read you?

-Wolfgang