How To Detect Snapshooters from Photographers (was: Reason for so many focus errors we see today?)

Old June 25th 09, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Spanjaard

Default How To Detect Snapshooters from Photographers

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:29:05 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

Is it too late to try, Ron?

Her is what trimming looks like. It takes 10 times as long, and results
in little information for the person who reads the post. What were we
talking about? Sigh.

ASAAR, are you sure about his age? Considering his childish behaviour, he
still has a lot of growing up to do.

OTOH, Ron seems to care a lot about the two seconds it takes to quote
properly, which suggests he doesn't have much time left...

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
Old June 25th 09, 11:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

John McWilliams wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
ASAAR wrote:
Is it too late to try, Ron?

Her is what trimming looks like. It takes 10 times as long, and results
in little information for the person who reads the post. What were we
talking about? Sigh.

We're talking etiquette for one thing. The ten seconds it takes you will
save each of your thousands- or dozens- of readers a second or two.
That's being thoughtful. Courteous. Whatever.

Chances are they have more time that I do. I'm not going to take the
time to do that editing to save readers 1 or two keystrokes. All it
takes me to get to the bottom of a long post is one press on my
multi-button pointing device. Hardly an imposition.
Old June 25th 09, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Robert Spanjaard wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:29:05 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

Is it too late to try, Ron?

Her is what trimming looks like. It takes 10 times as long, and results
in little information for the person who reads the post. What were we
talking about? Sigh.

ASAAR, are you sure about his age? Considering his childish behaviour, he
still has a lot of growing up to do.

OTOH, Ron seems to care a lot about the two seconds it takes to quote
properly, which suggests he doesn't have much time left...

Two seconds? I have to select the text to be quoted, copy to the
clipboard, select 'reply', delete old quoted data, dropdown a menu, and
select past as quotation. If can do that in two seconds, you are much
faster than this semi-handicapped 66 year old.
More power to you.
Old June 25th 09, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Jürgen Exner wrote:

Oh, you mean your readers are using newsreader, which automatically jump
the end of posting if and only if the posting originates from Ron
Hauser?

jue

Who is Ron Hauser?
Old June 25th 09, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

John Navas wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:31:19 -0500, Ron Hunter
wrote in :

John Navas wrote:

Please trim huge quotes to just a relevant portion, not the whole thing.
Thanks.

Maybe you have the time to do that, or a newsreader that makes it
easy, but I have neither.

Your headers say Thunderbird, which can do it easily.
Would you like some help?

Skipping to the end is vastly easier, and

For you.

unless you are one of the 5% of people who are still using dialup for
newsgroup access, why bother?

Because it's both wasteful and rude to others, who may be paying for
metered Internet access, and who may have to manually scroll down to see
your response -- I'll often not bother, especially when I'm on a small
screen device.

If you don't care about your audience, why bother posting at all?

Come on, Ron, you're better than that.

Actually, I don't care if you, or anyone else reads my posts, likes my
posts, or likes the way I post. I express my opinion, or I give advice,
or provide information. What you chose to do with it is your business.
Old June 26th 09, 12:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Spanjaard

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 17:50:14 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

OTOH, Ron seems to care a lot about the two seconds it takes to quote
properly, which suggests he doesn't have much time left...

Two seconds? I have to select the text to be quoted, copy to the
clipboard, select 'reply', delete old quoted data, dropdown a menu, and
select past as quotation. If can do that in two seconds, you are much
faster than this semi-handicapped 66 year old. More power to you.

No, I can't do _that_ in two seconds, but that would be a very foolish way
to select the text you want to quote.

In any case, you can just delete the quotes you're _not_ replying to from
the 'old quoted data'. And in most newsreaders, you can select the desired
quotes first, press "reply" (or something similar) next, and your reply-
window will open containing just the selected quotes.

If I say I can cross the street in three seconds, that doesn't mean I can
do it on hands and knees.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
Old June 26th 09, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

Ron Hunter wrote:
Robert Spanjaard wrote:
OTOH, Ron seems to care a lot about the two seconds it takes to quote
properly, which suggests he doesn't have much time left...

Two seconds? I have to select the text to be quoted, copy to the
clipboard, select 'reply', delete old quoted data, dropdown a menu, and
select past as quotation.

Well, of course you have any right to deliberately choose an awkward and
inefficient way to accomplish a task. But if you do so then complaining
about how inconvenient and time consuming it is sounds kind of silly.

jue
Old June 26th 09, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_4_]

On 2009-06-25 15:50:14 -0700, Ron Hunter said:

Robert Spanjaard wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:29:05 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

Is it too late to try, Ron?
Her is what trimming looks like. It takes 10 times as long, and results
in little information for the person who reads the post. What were we
talking about? Sigh.

ASAAR, are you sure about his age? Considering his childish behaviour,
he still has a lot of growing up to do.

OTOH, Ron seems to care a lot about the two seconds it takes to quote
properly, which suggests he doesn't have much time left...

Two seconds? I have to select the text to be quoted, copy to the
clipboard, select 'reply', delete old quoted data, dropdown a menu, and
select past as quotation. If can do that in two seconds, you are much
faster than this semi-handicapped 66 year old.
More power to you.

Why do it that way?

In Thunderbird, hit the "Reply" button; highlight the text you are
going to remove - delete. (or add some snide note that you have snipped
the superfluous text.)

All you should have left is the text your response is aimed at - add
your response below that and post.

No copy & paste is required.

....and old fartdom is also one of my problems so don't use that excuse. :-)

Savageduck

Old June 26th 09, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_4_]

wrote in :

John Navas wrote:

[...]

Then why waste your time posting anything?

You might as well stand on a street corner and rail at the World.

Savageduck

Old June 26th 09, 12:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Kennedy McEwen

In article , Ron Hunter
writes
John Navas wrote:
Please trim huge quotes to just a relevant portion, not the whole
thing.
Thanks.

John,
Maybe you have the time to do that, or a newsreader that makes it
easy, but I have neither.

If you have the time to read it then you have the time to trim it.
If you have neither then you don't have the time to reply to it, so why
troll?
--
Kennedy