long shutter release cable

Old July 14th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
JoeT[_2_]

Default long shutter release cable

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 06:37:43 -0400, Bob Salomon

wrote:
: In article ,
: "SteveB" wrote:
:
: So, I shall have to
: fabricate a mount for one, or build one. I do welding and machining
work,
: and it will be no big deal, but being able to buy ready to go
components
: will be easier than building something from scratch.
:
: Or you could just call your local camera stores and order a Kaiser
: strap-on cable release adapter. Works with any camera without a cable
: release socket.
:
: Does anyone know where I can buy a three to six foot long shutter
release
: cable?
:
: Gepe makes long cable releases. The same store that you buy the Kaiser
: adapter from can sell you a Gepe Pro cable release. The long ones are
: available with T or disk lock and in cloth, PVC or spiral steel
: sheathing.

Doesn't anybody make air release cables anymore? That used to be the
common
way of handling this problem at distances greater than a foot or two.

Bob

You mean like this?

http://tinyurl.com/3xpfye

What I don't get from the image is exactly how it attaches to the camera.
That looks like it ends in a mini plug?

Old July 15th 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeff

"JoeT" wrote in
:

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 06:37:43 -0400, Bob Salomon

wrote:
: In article ,
: "SteveB" wrote:
:
[...]

What you see there is the standard tapered thread used on cable releases
for mechanical shutter buttons. That would screw into the strap-on adapter
mentioned above.

Back in ye olde times, most cameras had a tapered thread hole in the
shutter button to accept the end of a cable release. When the
release is pressed, a plunger extends into the camera to actuate the
shutter. On modern cameras, the shutter button is just a short travel
electric switch so using a switch on a cable or infrared release is more
appropriate.
Old July 15th 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
JoeT[_2_]

"Jeff" wrote in message
.. .
"JoeT" wrote in
:

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 06:37:43 -0400, Bob Salomon

wrote:
: In article ,
: "SteveB" wrote:
:
[...]

Thank you for that explanation. So using this shutter release and a strap on
adapter such as mentioned above would solve the OP's problem since his
camera has no threaded hole in the shutter button nor IR or other remote
capability. Plus the available lengths are more than enough to meet his
requirement. Locating a dealer with the item in stock who'd ship to his
location would be the primary concern since this particular site lists
prices yet doesn't appear to provide purchase capability.

Old July 15th 07, 06:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jeff

"JoeT" wrote in
:

"Jeff" wrote in message
.. .
"JoeT" wrote in
:

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 06:37:43 -0400, Bob Salomon

wrote:
: In article ,
: "SteveB" wrote:
:
[...]

Both are right he

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/3results...&A=search&Q=&s
hs=kaiser&ci=4948&sb=ps&sq=desc

Old July 15th 07, 12:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
JoeT[_2_]

"Jeff" wrote in message
"JoeT" wrote in
:

"Jeff" wrote in message
.. .
"JoeT" wrote in
:

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 06:37:43 -0400, Bob Salomon

wrote:
: In article ,
: "SteveB" wrote:
:
[...]

Geesh how did I miss the add to cart icons?

Thanks

Old July 15th 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
JoeT[_2_]

"JoeT" wrote in message
news

"Jeff" wrote in message
"JoeT" wrote in
:

"Jeff" wrote in message
.. .
"JoeT" wrote in
:

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 06:37:43 -0400, Bob Salomon

wrote:
: In article ,
: "SteveB" wrote:
:
[...]