Ilfochrome printing

Old June 12th 06, 11:27 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Ilfochrome printing

I've been trying to print this material using my Beseler 45 Universal
enlarger Head without success. Filtration is Y17, M00, C10. Recommended
exposure time, according to Shule's Book "Cibachrome Printing", would be 22
seconds as a start for an 8X10. However, following these guidelines, I get
an exposure which can hardly be seen - so dark!! (I develop with the Jobo
CPP and Ilford Ilfochrome Chemicals, as per their instructions). Leaving
the filtration (colors) alone, I then made several other exposures with the
following times: 50 seconds, 70 seconds, 90 seconds, 110 seconds, lens set
at f4. Needless to say, the prints got lighter so you could see whats on
them, however, I still could use an additional 20 seconds exposure - makeing
this 130 seconds total for a "normal" print. My questiion is this: Is this
normal - seems to me to be way to long of an exposure for a 8X10 print! I'm
no darkrooom expert, but when the slide starts to buckel at about 40 seconds
due to heat, something has to be wrong. Appreciate any responses.

Old June 12th 06, 12:45 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

WILLIAM GRUENEWALD wrote:
I've been trying to print this material using my Beseler 45 Universal
enlarger Head without success. Filtration is Y17, M00, C10. Recommended
exposure time, according to Shule's Book "Cibachrome Printing", would be 22
seconds as a start for an 8X10.

With what size transparency, what degree of enlargement?
The earliest Cibachrome materials required minute-long exposures almost wide
open with 35 mm negatives. But after a few years, they speeded up the
materials. At one point I started putting an ND1 filter in the filter drawer
of my 45MCRX to get times long enough for 4x5 transparancies!

I have not printed Ilfochrome in decades, so I do not know what the current
materials and chemistry do. But something seems wrong.

However, following these guidelines, I get
an exposure which can hardly be seen - so dark!! (I develop with the Jobo
CPP and Ilford Ilfochrome Chemicals, as per their instructions). Leaving
the filtration (colors) alone, I then made several other exposures with the
following times: 50 seconds, 70 seconds, 90 seconds, 110 seconds, lens set
at f4. Needless to say, the prints got lighter so you could see whats on
them, however, I still could use an additional 20 seconds exposure - makeing
this 130 seconds total for a "normal" print. My questiion is this: Is this
normal - seems to me to be way to long of an exposure for a 8X10 print! I'm
no darkrooom expert, but when the slide starts to buckel at about 40 seconds
due to heat, something has to be wrong. Appreciate any responses.

^^-^^ 07:40:01 up 62 days, 21:10, 5 users, load average: 4.29, 4.28, 4.20
Old June 12th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

WILLIAM GRUENEWALD wrote:
[...]

Ilfochrome is a long time print material depending on
the densisty of the slide and the wattage of the
enlarger lamp. If you are buckling the slide after
40 seconds exposure I would suggest getting
a heat glass for the enlarger.

Good luck.

Draco

Getting even isn't good enough.

Old June 12th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

WILLIAM GRUENEWALD wrote:
[...]

I find Ilfochrome material to be about as light sensitive as Ilford's
Multigrade IV black and white paper, and requires a similar exposure.
How long an exposure do you need to print black and white?

With either of my enlargers (Durst L1000, Saunders/LPL 670DXL)
this ends up being 15 to 20 seconds at f/5.6, printing from either
35mm or 120.

Ilford's filter packs are often a touch too yellow for my taste.
YMMV.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Old June 12th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

I was using a Durst 605 color. It has a 150W halogen lamp.
I exposed for about 20 sec. Later I got a Omega D6 (color) which has a
250 W halogen lamp as far as I remember. For this I also used a contrast
mask.
Exposure time with the mask was about 20-40 sec. So you exposure time seems
very long. The material I used was CLM 1K (very glossy).
Now I am gone digial.....but nothing can beat a well made Ilfochrome.
But it is just so hard to get it perfect. You need a contrast mask to reduce
the
contrast so you get details in the dark areas without loosing details in the
highlights.

Max

ink.net...

Old June 13th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Ilfochrome material is slow. I eventually bought a faster (more
expensive) lens in order to get an extra stop of light and shorten the
times. If you're using the Beseler 45 for 35mm that slows things down
even further. My times speeded up somewhat when I got a colorhead and
began printing with halogen, but you could try getting a higher wattage
bulb.

However, it is not necessary to use contrast masks to control contrast.
Newer Ilfochrome comes in three contrast grades, which helps, but I
found that mixing my own low-contrast developer (any black and white
paper developer will work--some better than others) and using it as a
divided formula, developing agents in Bath A, activator (sodium
carbonate in Bath B) worked very well to control contrast, even on the
old very contrasty materials. And it was much cheaper.

Old June 13th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

LR Kalajainen wrote:
Ilfochrome material is slow. I eventually bought a faster (more
expensive) lens in order to get an extra stop of light and shorten the
times. If you're using the Beseler 45 for 35mm that slows things down
even further. My times speeded up somewhat when I got a colorhead and
began printing with halogen, but you could try getting a higher wattage
bulb.

If using a Beseler 45MCRX or similar enlarger, it is important to set the
height of the condensers to the right place for maximum light efficiency.
There is a scale on the head indicating the proper height, and a knob for
adjusting it. If you have it all the way down (suitable for 4"x5" negatives
and transparancies) and you use it for 35mm you will lose most of the light.

^^-^^ 08:40:02 up 63 days, 22:11, 4 users, load average: 4.29, 4.61, 4.63
Old June 14th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"WILLIAM GRUENEWALD" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

I have a 45 MXT with the Computer Colorhead. Those are long times. Real
long. Even a dense slide would be less than a minute -normally. I'd verify
the chemistry. Did you use distilled water to mix? Did you get even the
littlest drop of bleach in the developer (it'll smell like the worst rotten
eggs ever if you did)? The bleach is a very acidic mixture and if you get
it into the developer it will reduce the alkalinity and therefore the
activity.

Hope this is helpful.

Jim