Canon 30D or 350D?

Old August 20th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SkipM

Default Canon 30D or 350D?

"Protoncek (ex.SleeperMan)" wrote in message

But, i've heard and read that kit lens is crap, so better (read more
expensive) option would be separate buy of body and lenses, so can you
give me any advice about two decent ones, wide and tele ? Also...since now
i have S2, which have (calculated) 36-432 mm lens, buying some 50-200
would be rather dissapointing regarding zoom, right? Or not...?

You've heard and read that the lens is crap mainly, probably, from people
who don't use it. Yes, it's not as good as, say, a 17-85 IS lens, or the
17-55 f2.8, but, heck, it's only a hundred bucks. I have it, not that I use
it much, and found it more than acceptable, stopped down to about f8,
especially regarding it's price.
Here's a shot I took with it:
http://www.pbase.com/skipm/image/47209398
It's cheaply built, light as a feather, but, heck, how much did it cost?
As far as a high zoom ratio lens, the greater the ratio, the more
compromises are involved, optically speaking. If you want decent, the above
mentioned 17-85 IS (also available as part of a kit with the 30D) combined
with the 70-300 IS lens would give you a good combination, both in optics
and zoom ratio. Better would be the 17-55 f2.8, but that would leave a gap
between 55mm and 70mm. If you want great, look at the 16-35 f2.8L, 17-40
f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 24-105 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS and 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS,
or various fixed focal length lenses, especially those in the "L" lineup of
lenses.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old August 20th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SkipM

"Protoncek (ex.SleeperMan)" wrote in message

Oh, man...if that's approximate value of shots made by amateur
photographers, then i'm veeeeery occasional one, and as such, i should
really think twice if getting a SLR would be a good idea for some shots
every now and then...
maybe going from S2 to S3 instead would be a thing to consider !?!?!

I have never claimed to be a regular amateur photographer... ;-)

true...but most reviews still say those slr's are ment for advanced
amateurs... i'd say more like beginner pro's...

DSLRs are, indeed, meant for advanced amateurs, especially ones like the
350D and 30D. They make a great bridge from compact cameras to more
advanced (read: more expensive) DSLRs like the 5D and 1D/1Ds mkII cameras.
My 20D couldn't really stand up to the rigors of being used as a full on pro
use camera for very long, I generally shoot about 4-5000 images a month,
it's shutter was rated at 50,000, like the 350D, so it'd be dead meat in 10
months. My 5D is rated at 200,000 actuations, a much better option. By the
way, I did use a 20D for about a year as a primary wedding camera, and it
didn't fail, nor did my wife's in that same time span. So the shutter
ratings are a little conservative, I'm sure.
SLR type cameras are all about control and image quality.

Old August 20th 06, 10:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Protoncek \(ex.SleeperMan\)

Currently having S2 compact, going to DSLR - which one to choose ? Or is it
unfair comparison ?

Any suggestions--

THX

Old August 20th 06, 11:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eatmorepies

"Protoncek (ex.SleeperMan)" wrote in message
Currently having S2 compact, going to DSLR - which one to choose ? Or is
it unfair comparison ?

I have both. The 30D is usually my first choice because it has a higher
burst rate and bigger buffer. I like the larger screen and the high capacity
battery.

The 350D is small and light - its only real advantage.

The 350D has a shutter rated for 50000 shots and the 30D for 100000 shots -
making the 30D cheaper. Body only prices in the uk seem to be £450 for the
350 and £750 for the 30.

If I could only have one of them? The 30D, no hesitation.

John

Old August 20th 06, 11:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Monkee

"Eatmorepies" wrote in message

"Protoncek (ex.SleeperMan)" wrote in message
Currently having S2 compact, going to DSLR - which one to choose ? Or is
it unfair comparison ?

I have both. The 30D is usually my first choice because it has a higher
burst rate and bigger buffer. I like the larger screen and the high
capacity battery.

The 350D is small and light - its only real advantage.

The 350D has a shutter rated for 50000 shots and the 30D for 100000
shots - making the 30D cheaper. Body only prices in the uk seem to be £450
for the 350 and £750 for the 30.

If I could only have one of them? The 30D, no hesitation.

John

Do they really have such a short rated lifespan? 100,000 is a large number
but taken in comparison with the poster this weekend who said they had taken
6000 shots in the first few days of ownership with their new camera that's
only ~17 weeks worth of pictures before the shutter rating is reached for
the 30D or just over 8 weeks for the 350D!

Of course, 6000 photos a week is a lot by many peoples standards but
obviously there are people who do take that many.

Old August 20th 06, 11:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Protoncek \(ex.SleeperMan\)

"Monkee" wrote in message
k...

[...]

i guess that both cameras are ment for advanced hobby use and as such not
ment for such big qualnity of pics taken. Surely pro cameras have better
shutter life.

Old August 20th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes

Monkee wrote:

"Eatmorepies" wrote in message

Do they really have such a short rated lifespan? 100,000 is a large number
but taken in comparison with the poster this weekend who said they had
taken 6000 shots in the first few days of ownership with their new camera
that's only ~17 weeks worth of pictures before the shutter rating is
reached for the 30D or just over 8 weeks for the 350D!

Of course, 6000 photos a week is a lot by many peoples standards but
obviously there are people who do take that many.

I got my 30D in March 23rd and have over 16000 shots on it already. You
might say that my 30D will be worn out within a few years.

However, before I got a digital camera I got a regular SLR camera for nearly
20 years (an OM-1 and an OM-2n). The total amount of pictures taken with
those cameras are not as much as on my 30D...

Lifespan... depend on how you look on it...

--
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/Foto/

Old August 20th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes

Protoncek (ex.SleeperMan) wrote:

"Jørn Dahl-Stamnes" wrote in
message ...