London, Eye Level

Old August 6th 12, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

Default London, Eye Level

From most of the trainers I've talked to, England has the best trained guide
dogs anywhere. And, after skulking around London, Southampton, Newcastle,
etc, I can appreciate why. Indeed, it took quite a while to get used to how
traffic flows, not to mention the sheer volume.

Still, I have to say that Mich met the UK challenge quite well.

When trying to capture the shot below, Mich and I worked our way through
some of the busiest areas of London, aiming for a spot on the Westminster
Bridge where we could shoot the London Eye.

There were so many people, Mich couldn't see 6 inches in front of his nose,
through a nearly solid wall of pedestrians. Even following my son was
tough, as people kept cutting in between, so Mich couldn't keep a bead on
him.

Eventually, though, we fought our way to a vantage spot, and I managed to
squeeze off a few shots.

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/images/LondonEye.jpg

Take Care,
Dudley

--
"The balance between staying positive and being realistic lies somewhere in
the area of remaining hopeful."

"When you're blind, each day is as sunny as you can imagine."
-- Dudley Hanks

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/index.php

Old August 6th 12, 02:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-08-05 17:08:37 -0700, "Dudley Hanks" said:

From most of the trainers I've talked to, England has the best trained guide
[...]

Hey! You guys did good!

Savageduck

Old August 6th 12, 02:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-08-05 17:08:37 -0700, "Dudley Hanks" said:

From most of the trainers I've talked to, England has the best trained guide
[...]

BTW: When you flew, did Mich ride up front, sipping champagne with you
in First Class?
....or was he relegated to steerage?

Savageduck

Old August 6th 12, 02:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

: From most of the trainers I've talked to, England has the best trained guide
:
: Still, I have to say that Mich met the UK challenge quite well.
:
: When trying to capture the shot below, Mich and I worked our way through
: some of the busiest areas of London, aiming for a spot on the Westminster
: Bridge where we could shoot the London Eye.
:
: There were so many people, Mich couldn't see 6 inches in front of his nose,
: through a nearly solid wall of pedestrians. Even following my son was
: tough, as people kept cutting in between, so Mich couldn't keep a bead on
: him.
:
: Eventually, though, we fought our way to a vantage spot, and I managed to
: squeeze off a few shots.
:
: http://www.blind-apertures.ca/images/LondonEye.jpg

Nice shot. Good composition, perfect alignment (I assume your son helped you
set up a tripod), and a muted color palette that's a good match for the scene.

Bob
Old August 6th 12, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

On 2012-08-05 18:11:23 -0700, Savageduck

On 2012-08-05 17:08:37 -0700, "Dudley Hanks"
said:

From most of the trainers I've talked to, England has the best trained
guide
[...]

I know a few dog users who've been bumped up to first class because of their
guides. I've never been that lucky, though...

Mich had to make due with a bulkhead spot, for the 8 and 9 hour flights.

I was a bit worried about the extended bathroomless break time, 12 hours
from when we passed through security till we got through Customs, but he
handled it with ease.

He's a joy to travel with.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old August 6th 12, 03:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, there wasn't enough room for a tripod in my suitcase, so all
shots were handheld. But, when I go back in a couple of years, that's a
must -- just have to figure out how to do it.

But, you're right, my son did help with the composition.

He explained what we were looking at, and I told him what I wanted in the
pic and how I wanted it framed. Then, we shot several pics until we got it
right, with him telling me whether I was "too high," "too low," "too far
left," "tilted too much up on the left," etc.

It was a rather tedious process, but he was patient, and it sounds like we
ended up with what I was looking for.

As for the colour palette, my daughter helped me set things up in Photoshop
after we got back.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old August 6th 12, 05:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Conway[_2_]

"Dudley Hanks" wrote in message
From most of the trainers I've talked to, England has the best trained
guide dogs anywhere. And, after skulking around London, Southampton,
Newcastle, etc, I can appreciate why. Indeed, it took quite a while to
get used to how traffic flows, not to mention the sheer volume.

Still, I have to say that Mich met the UK challenge quite well.

When trying to capture the shot below, Mich and I worked our way through
some of the busiest areas of London, aiming for a spot on the Westminster
Bridge where we could shoot the London Eye.

There were so many people, Mich couldn't see 6 inches in front of his
nose, through a nearly solid wall of pedestrians. Even following my son
was tough, as people kept cutting in between, so Mich couldn't keep a bead
on him.

Eventually, though, we fought our way to a vantage spot, and I managed to
squeeze off a few shots.

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/images/LondonEye.jpg

wow! definitely not your average ferris wheel. good shot!

Old August 6th 12, 09:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"Tim Conway" wrote in message

"Dudley Hanks" wrote in message
From most of the trainers I've talked to, England has the best trained
[...]

Yeah, it's huge.

I forget the exact specs, but I seem to remember it's over 400 feet high and
takes about a half hour per revolution.

Apparently, the thing runs non-stop during business hours, not even stopping
when folks get on and off.

At the top, you have a view that extends over 25 miles. Even on a
moderately cloudy day, you can see all of London.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old August 7th 12, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 12:22:24 -0400, "Tim Conway"
wrote:

"Dudley Hanks" wrote in message
From most of the trainers I've talked to, England has the best trained
[...]

Here is a photograph my wife took from the even bigger wheel in
Singapore https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/JMG_2040.jpg

Eric Stevens
Old August 7th 12, 04:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
DaveC[_4_]

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/JMG_2040.jpg

Yeah, but the one in London actually goes all the way to the top! ;-)